Frontsite Tactical Shotgun Training

simpsomi

Will be going through that course soon with a M1 Super 90 Tactical.

They tell me I need 300 rounds of Birdshot, 250 rounds of 00 and 75 rounds of Slugs over a four day course.

Have any of you been through this course and if so what ammo vendors would you recommend?

Been reading a lot about low recoil shell recommendations and I need to speak to someone who has been this course with a Benelli M1 through M4 for an ammo recommendation based on your experience.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is so-called Law Enforcement reduced recoil ammunition available. Hard for me to compare recoil, but this ammo is not a brutal as some. You certainly want 2-3/4" shells for several reasons including magazine capacity.

This is a 15 yard 00-Buckshot pattern from my M4 shooting Winchester Ranger Law Enforcement Ammnition. RA12005. I have a couple of cases of it for a spring course I want to take.

12888124-IMG_2010_12_11_0532_s.JPG

I've made it a point to steer well away from Front Sight though. Hopefully you've done your homework on the owner...

-- Chuck

Not connected with these folks but have done business with them before - saw another thread on the Centurion ammo.

The reduced recoil rounds will be a plus for an extended shooting class - if you don't work out on a regular basis, might want to work your upper body a bit - that shotgun will get pretty heavy after while - unless they say otherwise, a good sling is a must.

Never trained at Front Sight, but as Chuck says, there's a lot of info on them on the net.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=38

If you're thinking of using reduced recoil loads in your M1, you might want to try some before you show up at class. Inertia driven guns need recoil to operate. Reduced recoil slugs won't cycle the action in my SBE.

Good luck at class. Don't forget to post a review for the rest of us.

I don't care about the man's politics. The defensive handgun course I attended a year back was excellent. I thought I was ok with hand guns....what a foolish statement that was I can now say without being embarrassed about it. Anyone who has been to one of those will say the same if they are honest about it.

I never carried before going to that course and I now carry all the time without a second thought.....safely. For what that is worth...

While I shouldn't be creeped out by a Scientology practicing chiropractor who calls himself the "Millionaire Patriot"; I am.

...and????? Do you sleep with a nite light too:cool:???

Just so there in no misunderstanding or misiformation, Piazza considers himself to be a catholic and not an active Scientologist and doesn't call himself the Millionaire Patriot , he had been dubbed Millionaire Patriot for providing millions of dollars in firearms and training to help citizens protect themselves and their families.

Bad information only leads to bad rumors.

Edited by hattles

The attacks Piazza gets from the internet commandos just crack me up. I could care less what religion or beliefs he has . I am there for training, not bible study or anything else besides things that go bang.

When you are at these classes you are interacting with the instructors, not the guy running the entire place. His instructors are top notch and the facilities are constantly being improved. I give them credit for dealing with the headaches of putting a world class training facility in the middle of the desert.

Try one of the classes and I guarantee you wont give a rats ass about what might or might not be true about the owner.

From a Lifetime Diamond Member.

Hello, I've been through the shotgun class a few times and you will have a great time, The Instructors are excellent and no matter where your at in your shooting ability you'll come out much improved. Front Sight is a great place to train and you pick up different things in every class. As for the ammo, It's best to buy all the same type so when you get your pattern it shouldn't change. The low recoil isn't as hard on you if your gun will cycle it, but try to train with what you'll be using at home. Dr. Piazza is ragged on by a lot of people but in all of my dealing with him he does what he says he will and I think is a asset to anyone who supports the second ammendment.

I'm not a tactical shotgun person but I can tell you Dr. Piazza/Frontsight is a first class world leader in all areas of firearms training and tactics, from civilian up to specialized military.

http://www.frontsight.com/

By the way, if anyone would be interested, they are currently searching for more full time and part time instructors.

Interesting site, thanks.

Hello, I've been through the shotgun class a few times and you will have a great time, The Instructors are excellent and no matter where your at in your shooting ability you'll come out much improved. Front Sight is a great place to train and you pick up different things in every class. As for the ammo, It's best to buy all the same type so when you get your pattern it shouldn't change. The low recoil isn't as hard on you if your gun will cycle it, but try to train with what you'll be using at home. Dr. Piazza is ragged on by a lot of people but in all of my dealing with him he does what he says he will and I think is a asset to anyone who supports the second ammendment.

Hello Big Thunder Bob:

Besides me, the ammo and shotgun, what else do I need to bring for the Tactical Shotgun Course at Frontsite?

Do I need knee and elbow pads? What do you recommend for carrying the Ammo? I will be using a Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical and have been warned about the side saddle carriers on those weapons.

It there one best ammo carrying solution or do I need more than one for the various drills?

If we can have a conversation off line (I haven't read all the freaking rules for this forum so excuse me if I am making a mistake in asking)? If so, we can do that at [email protected]

....and thanks in advance for any information on this topic you can provide.

Guys I found a kick ass little product to use for holding shells if you use a vest or mini vest.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesYeager#p/u/32/04KPbR9d5Sk

You can buy the shell holders separate from the vest which is what I am going to do because I don't want the big pouch that comes with the full kit. Watch the video very cool little product.

Here it is in action.

http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesYeager#p/u/32/qxN_r-Lk_RU

I am not affiliated with Yeagers business, but plan of taking one of his classes this summer because I can just drive down instead of flying.

Here is the store link.

http://www.tacticalresponsegear.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_95&products_id=4098

I could care less what religion or beliefs he has .

So you'd train with Al Qaeda? Since you don't care about the religion or beliefs of the people running the training, I guess you would. :confused:

From a Lifetime Diamond Member.

Did you get a copy of Dianetics with your Lifetime Channel Diamond Tiara Membership? :p

Spoke with a man today at the gun show in Phoenix....told me I needed to get a reduced recoil internal set up for the Benelli.

Anyone know about these?

You will want the Wolf +25% power spring for the M1. Man, it was the best money spent on my gun. It cycles everything I feed it now. There is a reduced power spring as well for light loads but I wouldn't recommend it for your class.

I would recommend the following before taking an M1 to the class:

1. Figure out which ammo works 100% in your gun. I'd buy a box of full power loads in birdshot (1oz and great works in my Benelli M1) 00 Buck (mine likes federal) and slugs (all slugs seem to work in mine).

2. Pattern your gun.

3. Make sure you have the right chokes with you for the class (see number 2).

4. I would add a side saddle shell carrier. Mine is a Mesa 6 rounder.

5. I would add a larger charging handle, but try not to add weight with it. Mine is titanium from Precision machine and tool http://www.kytactical.com/progressive_machine/Product.html#5

this is the best addition to my gun for my user control.

6. I would have a good sling, if the intstructors recommend it. I would run a single or two point but not a three point.

Have fun, let us know how it goes. Here is mine, charging handle wasn't installed:

BenelliM1final.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

I have considered Frontsite training on several occasions but am fearful of having to go through a time share like pitch on Scientology at some point during my visit.

Has anyone who has been there ever had any type of a Scientology pitch while there?

You'd hear more crying about it if they did, trust me. If you're worried about it, Wikipedia Scientology so you can come with preloaded ball busting remarks.

It's about as much fun to read about as the Nation of Islam.

I have considered Frontsite training on several occasions but am fearful of having to go through a time share like pitch on Scientology at some point during my visit.

Has anyone who has been there ever had any type of a Scientology pitch while there?

That's ridiculous. Frontsight is not some weird Scientology recruiting outfit. Dr. Piazza considers himself to be a Catholic and is not an active Scientologist. My next door neighbor attended a two day CCW training course and was blown away by the professionalism, the training as well as the facilities.

Hey Simpsomi

I am also planning on going to front sight with my m1 super 90 sometime in feb. I bought some various ammo (from super target 7.5 birdshot to LE132-00 and ranger low recoil) to test out first. Good to know someone planning to train on the same gun. I'm in southern California. Where abouts are you?