Oiling gun...

heavy4x4

Hi everyone,

I'm new here after just purchasing my first Benelli. I bought an SBE I (synthetic stock, 28" barrel) last week for $1000 total from Gander Mountain. I really like it so far but haven't fired it yet. I'm a converted Remington fan. I really like Remingtons, but in the gun configuration I wanted (3.5" autoloader that also shoots 2 3/4"), the Benelli couldn't be beat.

Anyway, on to my question. I've always dealt with Remingtons with wood stocks. After cleaning and before putting them in their cases, I would wipe down the wood and barrel and receiver with a gun-oil soaked rag. It would give everything a nice light coating of oil for rust prevention on the metal parts, water protection on the wood parts, and a nice sheen for looks.

Should I do this with my Benelli too? Is there any harm? Is there any benefit?

Thanks for any input.

Happy hunting/shooting.

-Steve

Just my two cents: I use CorrosionX (been planning to try others at recommendations, but haven't so you guys bear with me)....but, I clean my SBEII inside and out with cloth wrags the best I can get it to a 'dry' condition. Doesn't take long. I then apply Corrosion X to all internal and external parts, wiping with a lightly 'oiled' wrag so as to put just a sheen on there (where the dry metal changes in appearance). So, I guess I would call this a 'dry application'....almost none, but a little. Never had a problem with rust or misfires/hangs. Now for the wood (I have 'non-comfortech' walnut and matte black).....again, CorrosionX!! However, not the oil, but the "RejeX" wax....man I love this stuff on my gun stocks, boat, truck, plexiglass, anything!! It leaves my wood super well protected from water while still giving that 'squeaky' grip in your hand....

[ 02-24-2005, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: EFLOYD ]

A couple of days ago, I wiped the gun down with my oil rag and the oil "coating" (if that's what you want to call it) came out blotchy at best on the matte black barrel. It didn't look as nice as the smooth barrels on my Remingtons. You still recommend doing it though?

And, Efloyd, my Benelli has synthetic stocks, not wood. Do you, or others, recommend wiping those with an oil rag, or does it not make any sense/difference.

Happy hunting/shooting.

-Steve