thinking about super vinci

tstew23

I just bought an SBE II and when the Super Vinci came out I began to question the purchase. With that said, the SBE II has been proven, and most of the bugs have been worked out of it. I cannot speak about the Vinci as I have not handled one. However, with it being a "new" design, I would wait on the Vinci until any teething problems are addressed.

Remington just came out with their Versa Max, and they already have a recall on some of the hammers in the guns.

You pay your money and take your choice.

I just bought an SBE II and when the Super Vinci came out I began to question the purchase. With that said, the SBE II has been proven, and most of the bugs have been worked out of it. I cannot speak about the Vinci as I have not handled one. However, with it being a "new" design, I would wait on the Vinci until any teething problems are addressed.

Remington just came out with their Versa Max, and they already have a recall on some of the hammers in the guns.

You pay your money and take your choice.

Remington fixed the glitch quick and the Versa-Max has been in shops for weeks. Looks like Benelli makes it for them.

I think we had better like the Vinci series, word has it that it's the replacement for the SBE series. But, I also have heard about an SBE III, so who really knows what the future holds :confused:

^^ I suppose you can consider the Super Vinci as the Vinci Version2. The Super Vinci corrects some initial problems in the first edition:

1) Improved trigger guard (less rear dimension that corrects a problem where the middle finger is bumped)

2) Redesigned safety (larger and more accessible button, and longer bolt for a more reliable safety SET/UNSET)

3) 3 ½” shell capability

I didn’t experience the safety problem others describe here, but I assume this was significant since the safety is redesigned on the Super Vinci. My guess is that the safety on the Super Vinci is now very reliable and easily operated. Hopefully we get some feedback from our members on this issue, but the Super Vinci is so new it will take awhile to see if this is actually fixed.

:confused: I wonder if we will see the original Vinci quickly become obsolete as it is replaced by the Super Vinci.

--Spike

^^ An increase in SRP for the Super Vinci is probably a good reason for Benelli to replace the original Vinci. In fact, there are other Benelli models that fit a lower price point. I doubt Benelli wants to sell a cheaper version of a vastly improved gun.

The posting from hattles (Msg. #7 on this thread) makes a lot of sense from a marketing position.

--Spike

Go handle both and get the one you like best

Love my SBE II

I agree, handle both. I love all my Benelli's and shoot them equally well, but I'll also admit how impressed I was with the Vinci's fit & feel when I first handled it and then again I felt the same way with my HK SBE.

The horrors of choosing a new shotgun is the kind of problem I don't mind being faced with, ever.

Edited by hattles

Let me approach this topic from three different angles:

1. As A hunter

2. As a Marketing Manager

3. As a Supply Chain Manager

Your question Vinci vs SBE II:

Obviously the Vinci II can shoot 3 1/2" shells, personally I don't not shoot 3.5's, however many folks do (don't understand why) so the SBE II and Vinci II appeals to a wider market segment when resale becomes a issue. Benelli has never put out a bad (shotgun) product, so I would not be concerned with operating quality and jamming issue's although I have seen many of these complaints from both gun owners on this forum. Most of these are operator and maintenance shortcomings. I personally have all of the Benelli offerings and really think its a personal choice.

As far as marketing - Benelli has POSITIONED another hunting autoloader in a already crowded segment. The segement which they invented and are being challenged by the competition. A unique problem Benelli has is PRICE. All the Benelli offerings are premium priced with price points relatively close in the the premium autoloader market. Sadly, the M1 which could be the best gun of the three has price repositioned or repositioned as a entry level premium autoloader to attract a market segment based on price in the Premium autoloader segment. Benelli demographics - college educated, Income 100K plus, multiple gun owner, cuacasian male, 40 plus. Clearly, Benelli has positioned the Vince II the with a premium price that serves as a signal of quality. Benelli MUST continually challenge technology which is a precondition in the marketplace for premium price products.

As a Supply Chain Manager Benelli needs to drive cost from the supply chain - it appears this is a major factor in the production of the Vinci and the market trend shift in the acceptance of a non traditional looking gun. If Benelli can drive the market to the Vinci lineage, predictability and forecasting could be more streamline which drives costs from systems. Don't get this confused with quality - these are really two different topics. Think about the reduction of parts, the refined manufacturing process that take three main parts of the gun could be completed and then send to a production line for final assembly. If Benelli can drive the entire premium gun market to the Vinci platform just imagine what options could be produced and the cost savings in single platform reduction and costs controlls. Secondly the vinci platform allows aftermarketer to produce modular parts for this gun which would drive cost down to the gun owner.

Finally lets look at the evolution of the recoil spring assembly - The orginal Montefeltro did not even have a recoil tube nut to remove the recoil spring. This was added to Super 90's and latter the M1's. The m2's and SBE II's they received the easy removal butt pad a a corrosion resistant recoil spring tube and spring.... your seeing it... now the Vinci has the recoil spring as part of the operating bolt assembly. My first though was how is that little spring going to replace the original recoil spring of the after-mentioned models. The smaller the spring the easier it is to maintain tolerance that Benelli is looking for and to maintain these spec's over time. These are quality and reliability attributes that is forged in the Benelli brand. Quality perceptions are made by many factors, ease of maintenance has evolved which allowed Benelli to POSITION products in the premium autoloader segment that fits their target market.

All three Benelli's the M2, SBE II, and Vinci's are all great guns. Benelli will need to continue to drive technology into their offerings to maintain product position which demands quality perceptions and premium prices.

I agree with the points in Msg. #13 on this thread (thank you remarkable for the detailed and accurate posting).

Benelli’s challenge with the Vinci is exactly what remarkable describes in his message. When a company introduces a new gun, and it is a great gun but has a relatively high co$t; the gun’s success (i.e., its survival) is measured by its acceptance in the marketplace.

I give kudos to Benelli for the fast redesign of the Vinci’s trigger guard and safety. The 3 ½” shell capability is made to satisfy a broader market.

Most people will not notice any problem with the trigger guard or the safety in the “original” Vinci, making that a great buy (especially in the used gun market).

--Spike

"I wonder if we will see the original Vinci quickly become obsolete as it is replaced by the Super Vinci."

That will probably happen because they are offering three new configurations. The Vinci Super Sport, the Vinci Cordoba as well as the Super Vinci.

I can't understand why they would do that. If they do in fact plan to replace the M2/SBE2 line, it would make no sense to do away with the original Vinci. I see the Vinci as a replacement for the M2 and Super Vinci a replacement for the SBE2 if that be the case. You also have a Cordoba and Sport models based on the M2/SBE2 design. So what sense would it make to do away with the Vinci? Not everyone cares to shoot 3.5 inch shells.

brianc142, good point.

I suppose it will all depend on whether Benelli decides to phase out the "conventional" design of the M2 and the SBEII. It'll be interesting to watch and see if the Vinci's "modular" design can be matched or exceeded by their competitors or that the shooting public can fully embrace the Vinci lineup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The super vinci/vinci line will never replace the sbe II/m2 line for the simple fact that it will never have a slug barrel. There are many people out there who really need a slug barrel option to make the purchase, including myself. With the vinci design, there will probably never be a slug barrel. The receiver of a gun is considered the actual "gun". So, thats where the serial number goes. The super vinci/vinci line has the receiver connected to the barrel. So, they cant just sell a barrel/receiver piece for the super vinci/vinci with no serial number or someone could go out buy one, slap it on their vinci or super vinci and the gun would have no serial number. From what I've heard Benelli is trying to work around this issue, but not much progress is being made. I really hope they do get around this though because I really do think the super vinci will be a tremendous shotgun!

The super vinci/vinci line will never replace the sbe II/m2 line for the simple fact that it will never have a slug barrel. There are many people out there who really need a slug barrel option to make the purchase, including myself. With the vinci design, there will probably never be a slug barrel. The receiver of a gun is considered the actual "gun". So, thats where the serial number goes. The super vinci/vinci line has the receiver connected to the barrel. So, they cant just sell a barrel/receiver piece for the super vinci/vinci with no serial number or someone could go out buy one, slap it on their vinci or super vinci and the gun would have no serial number. From what I've heard Benelli is trying to work around this issue, but not much progress is being made. I really hope they do get around this though because I really do think the super vinci will be a tremendous shotgun!

My SBE's & SBE II's have serial #'s on the barrels, that are also attached to the upper receiver.

Why would Benelli not just make a dedicated Vinci slug gun :confused:

The Vinci was clearly made for a reason. Probably to eliminate the minor issues of the SBE II, but almost certainly to lower the cost of the unit, and still be able to charge full price, and therefore try to recover years of margin lost to the unfavorable exchange rate of the dollar vs. the Euro.

Beretta Holdings owns Benelli Spa & Benelli USA. Someone is losing their arse in the deal, so some cash has to be found somewhere!!!

The Browning Maxus cost less to make than the Browning Silver, yet the Maxus MSRP is $170 more. Anyone know why? Bueller? Bueller? Has anyone seen Ferris Bueller?......

Well here is my thoughts.... I have shot the SBE and the SBEII plenty of times. You simply can not go wrong!! They are amazing waterfowl guns

I just bought a super vinci and i have to say of all the guns i have owned and shot over the years this is HEAD AND SHOULDERS the best one yet!!! I love the feel, the way it shoots, the recoil (my 6 year old shot it with no issues), and i think best of all is it is so quick to get down on for me, it just glides up into my shoulder.

I was at first looking to buy a SBEII and i definately wanted the max-4 camo. When i checked the site again the new Super VInci was up. I noticed that it shoots the 3.5 and is the same price as the SBE. Any thoughts about each gun would be great.

I am a happy SBE 2 owner, great all around shotgun for me, use it for squirrel, rabbit, crow, sporting clays, and turkey. Myself would not be afraid to purchase the Super Vinci if you like it. In my case few of my other guns get used now after the SBE 2 arrived....... love it.