What rail is this on this m4?

John P.

Old school Sidearmor. I spoke with Sidearmor recently, and they informed me that a newer rail is in the works. It doesn't replace the top rail at all. It's meant to be a lightweight light mount that holds closer to the barrel centerline.

I'll be buying one when released. Their full rails add too much weight for just mounting a light.

Yes. Basically a newer version of it. I had the old one but sold it. Wish I still had it.

Yea i like the concept of the mod2, but oink oink 15.5oz, plus 8.8 for their shell carrier. Surefire needs to get off their arse and make a forend light.

I do like the idea of having the 2 shell carrier along side the breech though. Yes, I was watching the art of the dynamic shotgun. However, adding 27.3oz to the beast for that. No thank you

If you want a minimalist 2 shell carrier that will attach anywhere, look into 3 gunner gear. It adds no weight except the shells. Not exactly the prettiest option, but it is the lightest. No rails needed either.

Adding 27 ounces is a bad idea. Any speed you'd gain NY having the shells that close would be lost from lugging a heavy ass gun around. This is the main reason 3 gunners use the M2 over the M4. Weight.

This is the main reason 3 gunners use the M2 over the M4. Weight.

Marines carry the damn thing all over the desert, and they can't run through a 30-second stage with it? Pansies. ;)

I love the Sidearmor rail, but I just can't justify the weight or cost of it. I want a rail mount that sits close to the muzzle for a light, and which doesn't have to be mucked with when I break down the shotgun. Is that too much to ask for? Oh, and maybe one of those shotgun stands that John P's got.

For anyone who has used an over and under or a side by side shotgun, you know how quick it is to swing the shotgun to your target. This is due to the low amount of weight up front. The Benelli M4 isn't too heavy, but a lighter weight shotgun is quicker.

So any chance you get to cut the weight down from your weapon is generally a good thing. If you must add an optic and/or light, pay careful attention to the weight. You're better off putting additional shells on your body rather than on the weapon. Figure each additional shell adds about 2 ounces to your weapon.

It sounds like the proposed rail from Sidearmor is what you might be interested in. I know I plan on selling my rail and moving to it when it is released.

I wish Freedom Fighter Tactical would sell a forearm replacement that simply had a small place for a picatinny rail section.

Old school Sidearmor. I spoke with Sidearmor recently, and they informed me that a newer rail is in the works. It doesn't replace the top rail at all. It's meant to be a lightweight light mount that holds closer to the barrel centerline.

I'll be buying one when released. Their full rails add too much weight for just mounting a light.

OK, I found a picture here that I had remembered seeing a while back. My understanding is this rail clamp was also made by Sidearmor 6 years ago or so ...

034.jpg

I imagine the new one would be similar, perhaps with spec rails.

why not consider this very nice quality 3-slot rail mounted barrel clamp from CDM Gear? i brought this up in another post, but the guy wanted to be able to field strip his M4 without having to go to the extra step of removing the barrel clamp. i have this clamp on bot of my shotguns and i really like it.

bmtwebx2.jpg

I decided to order the Mesa Tactical barrel clamp with rail. Clamps onto the barrel only, which should allow for field stripping without having to remove it. Though it is marketed for the 870, I found an external dimension measurement for the 870, and compared it to the external of my m4 barrel, and they are both very close. There appears to be some slack in the mount of the Mesa Tactical clamp, so I will post my results when it arrives.

I can't see spending the $350 for the Sidearmor (with sidesaddle) when I can spend $149 for the barrel clamp and the MT sidesaddle.

I decided to order the Mesa Tactical barrel clamp with rail. Clamps onto the barrel only, which should allow for field stripping without having to remove it. Though it is marketed for the 870, I found an external dimension measurement for the 870, and compared it to the external of my m4 barrel, and they are both very close. There appears to be some slack in the mount of the Mesa Tactical clamp, so I will post my results when it arrives.

Please do report back. I also want a simple light-weight mounting option that I won't need to remove for field-stripping. There's got to be something out there that works well.

That's the hang up for me as well. I won't add a step that requires tools for field stripping.

Yeah, same here. Waiting for a solution that falls under the no tools required category. Using the M80 for now. Put the larue LT-619 on my X300 last night and it lowered it a bit more off the bottom of the shotty. I like it a lot. Just going to add the tailcap with remote switch and be done with it for now.

Please do report back. I also want a simple light-weight mounting option that I won't need to remove for field-stripping. There's got to be something out there that works well.

mount arrived today, and I'm disappointed.

upon unpackaging, it was obvious the anodizing was on the weak side, having some marks on the inside of the mount. the screws which hold the mount together are difficult to fully seat, which isn't too bad of a thing, since they were snug when unscrewing as well.

why did I have to unscrew them? because it doesn't fit. from searching around, I've found that most 870 barrels are .880" in diameter, and the m4 barrel is ~.850" in diameter. not too much of a difference, especially since there is a third mounting screw which is designed to snug the mount onto the barrel due to a relief cut.

the mount was nothing but slop on the barrel, and no amount of tightening on the third screw would have snugged it down. took it off, assembled it and measured, and it has an interior diameter of .905", which after looking at the relief cut designed to tighten the mount down, I don't think there is enough even for the 870 barrel, let alone the m4 barrel.

so in summary, I now have a $70 mount which is useless to me, and it will not fit the Benelli m4, so hopefully it can save others some cash.