dry fire before storing???

bigkuntry72

heard alot of conflicting opinions on this matter. with waterfowling season over and the dead of vinter here in wisconsin my vinci will be stored for a good while before i use her again. i dry fired it to relieve the spring tension and i cant put it to safe unless i cock it again. is this normal or is it a problem with the safety? ive read other guys had safety issues with their vinci but i never had one in the field. just this one. it may not even be a problem, just want to be sure. thanks.

If you're the only one with access to the gun then why be concerned about having the safety on when the hammer is down on an empty chamber? I would think it's definitely better for your hammer spring to be unloaded when stored.

The safety on my Winchester Model 12 won't engage when uncocked - that's how I know it's unloaded, the safety won't engage.

To alleviate any concerns, invest in some snap caps.($5-$8) As an added measure, invest in anti-corrosion/rust snap caps. Protect the gun from moisture and rust after cleaning and storing.

Both Remington Moistureguard and The Inhibitor make corrosion protective products and snap caps.

http://www.theinhibitor.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1

http://www.remington.com/product-families/accessories/storage-and-safety-families/moistureguard.aspx

7 years later, 13,000+ rounds down range, never left hammer down. Never a single issue. People who dry fire it have a tendency to blow holes in their floor. Your hammer spring isn't going to wear out from a static load. It wears out from compression cycles or over compressing, which should never happen.

Mine are left hot and on safe. There is never a question about it's status.

heard alot of conflicting opinions on this matter. with waterfowling season over and the dead of vinter here in wisconsin my vinci will be stored for a good while before i use her again. i dry fired it to relieve the spring tension and i cant put it to safe unless i cock it again. is this normal or is it a problem with the safety? ive read other guys had safety issues with their vinci but i never had one in the field. just this one. it may not even be a problem, just want to be sure. thanks.

I understand your question that I believe others here might have missed (with messages about spring tension). But, I think you might also have a misconception about the Benelli safety button.

Here’s the deal:

1) You can manually toggle the safety button (on the trigger guard) no matter the position of the firing pin or its spring. In other words, you can always engage or disengage the safety.

2) If the safety is ON; it remains ON, no matter if the firing pin is down or if you cock the gun (pull back the bolt). If you load the gun and press the bolt release, the round loads but the safety is still ON if that was its original position

3) If the safety is OFF, it remains OFF (independent of the firing pin’s position). If you load a Benelli with the safety OFF, you can fire it immediately after pressing the bolt release to chamber a shell.

4) If the safety is either ON or OFF, and the firing pin is released, you will notice trigger slack (you can depress the trigger). Of course with the firing pin released, nothing happens.

The Benelli has a great safety configuration.

--Spike

1) You can manually toggle the safety button (on the trigger guard) no matter the position of the firing pin or its spring. In other words, you can always engage or disengage the safety.

Spike are you sure about this?

My Vinci safety will not go on if i dry fire my gun. :confused:

My Vinci safety will not go on if i dry fire my gun. :confused:

thats my concern. with it on safe i cannot puul the trigger, no problem there. i put it to fire, dry fire to relieve spring pressure, then i cannot put it back to safe without re-cocking it. my question is this a properly working safety or do i have an issue that needs attention.

My Vinci safety will not go on if i dry fire my gun.

Oops… I was running the test on my Montefeltro and assumed the Vinci works the same way. Apparently the Vinci is different, and I should not have made that assumption. :o

I can engage the safety on my Montefeltro with the bolt open or closed; and if the bolt is closed, I can engage the safety if the firing pin is cocked or released. In other words with the Monty, I can engage the safety no matter what, and the safety remains engaged until I release it (push it to OFF). I think that is the way a safety on an autoloader should work. I would not like a gun if it cannot always be put ON safe. :eek:

--Spike

thats my concern. with it on safe i cannot puul the trigger, no problem there. i put it to fire, dry fire to relieve spring pressure, then i cannot put it back to safe without re-cocking it. my question is this a properly working safety or do i have an issue that needs attention.

My Vinci safety works just like all of my semi-auto shotguns...loaded, dry fired, bolt opened or closed.

My Vinci safety works just like all of my semi-auto shotguns...loaded, dry fired, bolt opened or closed.

Well I'm not as sharp as I thought I was. After double checking my Vinci I found I had NOT dry fired it when I checked it out...DUH!

lo and behold the safty does not work(on)after I dry fired it.

It seems that is how it is designed.

My apologies to all.:rolleyes:

So that means if you close the Vinci’s bolt and release the firing pin, you cannot put the gun on safe. If you then pull back the bolt, and load and chamber a round; you must then put the safety ON. I suppose that’s OK since you should always be aware of the safety’s position.

Here is something interesting I notice after running some tests with my Montefeltro:

1. If I close the bolt and release the firing pin, leave the safety OFF, and then open the bolt; the bolt slides open smoothly.
  2. If I close the bolt and release the firing pin, push the safety button ON, and then open the bolt; the bolt does NOT slide open smoothly. In fact there is a significant hitch about half way that feels like a part is interfering. It opens, but feels like I’m “wearing” against a part.

That experiment makes me reconsider opening the bolt with a released firing pin while the safety is ON.

Well crap… now I’m confused on how to set the safety on my Montefeltro since cocking the gun with a dropped firing pin appears not to be good for its mechanism. :confused:

--Spike

called benelli today and was told that is how the vinci safety is susposed to function. not a problem according to them. now to decide whats more important, storing the gun with the safety on and tension on the spring or safety off with tension relieved. hhhmmmmmmmm.

Never had a firing pin or spring failure in 46 years of shooting shotguns.:D

7 years later, 13,000+ rounds down range, never left hammer down. Never a single issue. People who dry fire it have a tendency to blow holes in their floor. Your hammer spring isn't going to wear out from a static load. It wears out from compression cycles or over compressing, which should never happen.

Mine are left hot and on safe. There is never a question about it's status.

Never had a firing pin or spring failure in 46 years of shooting shotguns.

That’s been my experience as well, on about the same time frame owning a few shotguns.

I have personally witnessed two accidental discharges when the shooter was dropping his firing pins (to take pressure off the firing pin spring). :eek:

• In one instance the guy used an empty hull to cushion the pin; only he managed to mix his empty hull with a live round.

• The second accidental firing happened when the operator had a shell hang-up in the magazine, and inadvertently chambered the round and “dry fired.” BOOM!

Firing an empty gun to release pressure on the spring always makes me nervous. People owning legacy two-barrel guns say it is necessary to do this. :confused:

--Spike