Benelli M4 Side saddle options and pic request

c350z

2 ounces a shell plus the weight of the carrier itself. California Competition speed loaders are faster, but the shells aren't on the weapon for defense situations. There are also nylon shell carriers that attract to the buttstock.

Look at 3 gunner nylon shell carriers. They weigh very little. If you want a metal one, the Sidearmor one is by far the best.

P1010658.jpg

Sidearmor all the way and eight plus+++ does not bother me. The weight is manageable for the trade off. This is for defense, not play, or three gun or??? I would rather have ammo when its needed. I just eat my Wheaties....:)

Which Trijicon is that? How do you like it so far?

Trying to decide on whether to go with an Aimpoint T1 or something different.

I had a mesa tactical 6 round on for awhile, but took it off. I didn't like the weight (minor) and I didn't like the design (major). After awhile of having them loaded the little rubber retention guys would loose their grip. I also found that in courses the extra width of the side saddle frequently was annoying when cutting corners to the left.

There are better/faster ammo/reloading options for 3 gun, and frankly for defense if you can't get it done in 8 rounds of 12ga your problem isn't that you didn't have enough ammo. They are great for looking tacticool though.

The original purpose of these things was for LEO to have a convenient way to carry lethal and non-lethal ammo options at the same time and always with the weapon in question. Then again most crap people hang off their guns these days was made popular by movies and video games than actual real world use.

Edited by Todd308

I had a mesa tactical 6 round on for awhile, but took it off. I didn't like the weight (minor) and I didn't like the design (major). After awhile of having them loaded the little rubber retention guys would loose their grip. I also found that in courses the extra width of the side saddle frequently was annoying when cutting corners to the left.

There are better/faster ammo/reloading options for 3 gun, and frankly for defense if you can't get it done in 8 rounds of 12ga your problem isn't that you didn't have enough ammo. They are great for looking tacticool though.

The original purpose of these things was for LEO to have a convenient way to carry lethal and non-lethal ammo options at the same time and always with the weapon in question. Then again most crap people hang off their guns these days was made popular by movies and video games than actual real world use.

don't tell the guys at Magpul Dynamics this, especially since every gun in their most recent Art of the Dynamic Shotgun video had a sidesaddle

... frankly for defense if you can't get it done in 8 rounds of 12ga your problem isn't that you didn't have enough ammo.

Your problem might be that you have more than one assailant. Home invaders are rarely working solo these days. The more ammo you can carry without having to pickup additional gear, the better. You never know how many of "them" are there.

Remember the old-ish tactical adage: "If you aren't shooting, you're reloading." Even supposing you nail an assailant with the first shot, you aren't going to know if he's alone. Given the opportunity, you want to top off your magazine; and it sure would be handy to have some more ammo right there on your boomstick.

• Like 1

Which Trijicon is that? How do you like it so far?

Trying to decide on whether to go with an Aimpoint T1 or something different.

John, it is the RMR 7 MOA Trijicon reflex optic, It is the best for me. I like the Aimpoint stuff, but this was way more compact, better field of view and lighter. The mount is a Q/D American Defense. They are the only ones kinda catering to the RMR right now without using an adapter plate. Great mount. I asked LaRue if they would make a mount and their answer was, were not sure if it (the optic) is going to catch on. I told him they were missing the boat. It is tough and bright in all variables of lighting. It does not wash out and is fast to acquire. Best of all, no batteries.

89a004ae.jpg

Edited by Flascot007

Flascot007, is that Mod 2 Sidearmor rail?

Any chance you could weigh it loaded?

Yes this is the MOD 2 the newest version. As for weight here we go:

Total weapon weight = 13# 10oz

" " " empty = 11# 9oz

" " " factory empty = 8# 7oz

" " " " loaded = 9# 4oz

Top two are of my weapon with a factory c-stock, the bottom two are just for reference. My weapon holds a total of 20 rounds of 2 3/4" ammo with one of those rounds floated. The factory is 8 rounds with one of them floated.

d0d08291.jpg

Edited by Flascot007

Damn, what a beast. Sexy beast, but a beast nonetheless.

She's a beast and has a great appetite. She also dances very well.;) I have been working on her for almost a year now to get her to where I feel she will serve me best. Some will say shes too much, but the trade off is well worth the extra #'s to me. Everything there has function and purpose, not just a tacticool look. :cool:

Once Kip finishes his disconnecter, hammer, charge handle and follower. I'll be done.

Any concern for putting the weight of 6-8 shells onto the soft alloy receiver rail screws? It's obvious the benelli reciver is pretty soft alloy with as many people have had problems stripping out the rail screws (even though most of those as I understand it were too small out of spec Mesa Tactical screws included with their sidesaddles).

It just seems like under recoil of a lot of rounds, 6-8 loaded rounds on a side saddle could put a lot more stress on those screws than was intended, especially if the gun was taking some abuse and say some impacts to the sidesaddle.

How well does the Sidearmor retain shells? One problem with the Mesa tactical I had was that either the retention was so tight it deformed the hull creating feeding problems (not to mention making it darn hard to get the shells out) or over time they would loosen up and not retain shells under recoil. Sidearmor seems to use a ball bearing in their design, perhaps it's small enough that it doesn't deform a significant portion of the hull. It might also make shell removal smoother.

That was one nice thing (maybe the only nice thing, aside cost) of the TacStar sidesaddle on the 870's. Retention was always good and since it acted over the whole length of the hull there was no deformation, I've had some of those loaded for years and never had them loose tension. It would be interesting to see a hybrid design with TacStar type shell retention design but higher mount quality.