Benelli M4 Side saddle options and pic request

c350z

Any concern for putting the weight of 6-8 shells onto the soft alloy receiver rail screws? It's obvious the benelli reciver is pretty soft alloy with as many people have had problems stripping out the rail screws (even though most of those as I understand it were too small out of spec Mesa Tactical screws included with their sidesaddles).

It just seems like under recoil of a lot of rounds, 6-8 loaded rounds on a side saddle could put a lot more stress on those screws than was intended, especially if the gun was taking some abuse and say some impacts to the sidesaddle.

How well does the Sidearmor retain shells? One problem with the Mesa tactical I had was that either the retention was so tight it deformed the hull creating feeding problems (not to mention making it darn hard to get the shells out) or over time they would loosen up and not retain shells under recoil. Sidearmor seems to use a ball bearing in their design, perhaps it's small enough that it doesn't deform a significant portion of the hull. It might also make shell removal smoother.

That was one nice thing (maybe the only nice thing, aside cost) of the TacStar sidesaddle on the 870's. Retention was always good and since it acted over the whole length of the hull there was no deformation, I've had some of those loaded for years and never had them loose tension. It would be interesting to see a hybrid design with TacStar type shell retention design but higher mount quality.

No issues on any account...

• 3 weeks later...

AggiePhil,

Why did you choose to forego the forward receiver loop? Would it be in the way? This is the solution I'm leaning toward. I currently run the Mesa 6 shot with a 3 Gun Gear 2 Shell Forward Carrier.

Any concerns about the sticky back letting go over time or being impossible to remove if you go a different direction?

Kerry

Primary Arms Micro Dot and yea thats a scuff on the back. I bought it used from a guy who had some sort of singlepoint sling on it that scratched it. I plan on getting a titanium tube as soon as I can afford it.

If you get some Alumablack, you could probably cover over that scuff fairly well. My M4 has been beat to ****, and once in a while I'll use it to cover up the scuffs.