turkey choke help...SEBII using 3 1/2 winchester supremes #4

SBEIIWATERFOWLER

Yes, they do :)

http://hunting.flambeauoutdoors.com/otdrs_hunting/turkey_hunting/choke_tubes.asp

But I think you would be fine with any of the following in .660/.665:

Primos Jellyhead .660

Indian Creek (order from Midwest Turkey Call and get the new SS version) in .665

Kick's GT in .665

Pure Gold in .670 (many like this choke)

I like a more open choke with #4's.....

I did find that M.A.D. choke on the flambeau website, but it looks a little different than the one for my SBEI and that one had a .650 constriction. But from what ive read, (which may or may not be correct), the SBEII's dont like as much of a constriction as the SBEI's did. Well I guess I will just pick one and give it a try, hopefully I pick right:D

Thanks for the information guys!

• 2 weeks later...
I have real good luck with a M.A.D. choke for my SBEI, but now I just got a SBEII and that company doesnt make that choke that works with the new crio system. So does anyone else use this ammo and if so, what chokes do you prefer, thanks

Waterfowler,

I tried the H&K/Benelli, Primos, MAD, Briley, TRUGLO, and a few other turkey chokes in my '91 model SBE and settled on the MAD same as you. But I have a new SBE2 on the way now:http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_performance_shop_super_black_eagle_II_turkey_gun.php. It has a Rob Roberts Final Strut non-ported 0.640" turkey choke tube so I will need to shoot some patterns with it. But the MAD "GOBLER MAX" 0.665" (MD-1235) looks interesting if the Rob Roberts choke doesn't pattern well enough. The MAD "DOG POUNDER" 0.710" (MD-1275) for goose loads &/or buckshot may also be of interest. It can get expensive finding what works best. Keep us posted on what works for you and I will do the same. Turkey season is now right around the corner down here in Mississippi.

Thanks!

Carey

Edit: Starting to consider Indian Creek choke tubes since they actually manufacture the MAD choke tubes; less expensive to buy and same basic design/ID.

Edited by leid

The 24" SBE 2 pattern showed 98.4% at 40yds. with a Rob Roberts Final Strut non-ported 0.640" turkey choke firing the Federal 3.5" 1 7/8oz. #7 HeavyWeight 1300FPS load. The center of the pattern is EXTREMELY dense with 190 of 428 pellets in 10" circle at 40yds (see below). Will have to get some data on patterns with larger shot in both Heavyweight & lead. I only achieved 90% pattern density firing Federal 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz. #6 lead in my early '91 H&K/Benelli SBE I and the barrel was "worked": Pro-Ported, lengthened force cone by Briley, and the MAD 0.650 ported choke tube.

NOTE: FEDERAL says not to use their Heavy loads with Flitecontrol wads with a ported choke tube. Not quite sure of the reason yet. Best info I have is the FEDERAL FLITECONTROL® wad is not compatible with at least some choke tube porting designs but apparently works fine with barrel porting.

Edit: Rob Roberts recommended their non-ported T3 choke tube for use with #2 shot thru 00 buckshot for 4 or 2 legged predators. I will have a lot of test shot results when I get back from turkey season in Mississippi. Will be chasing the birds around for about a month.

20" Pellets: 371 of 428 10" Pellets: 190 of 428 with 0.640 FINAL STRUT Choke firing FED PREM Heavy Weight 3 1/2" 1 7/8 oz. #7

IMG_0003.jpg

Edited by leid

• 3 weeks later...

I shot my SBE 2 with a 26" barrel this evening....results with 2 different loads, measured true 40yds to target.

Federal Flite Control #5 shot/2oz @ 40yds 99 pellets in a 10" circle (factory full choke)

Hevi-13 #6 shot/1 3/4oz @ 40yds 152 in a 10" circle (Hevi shot choke .667)

note: I did not clean the barrel or chokes, not sure if clean barrel makes better pattern or not?

Im looking forward to see the Hevi-13 performance on a long beard next month in Md.

Edited by fikester

I shot my SBE 2 with a 26" barrel this evening....results with 2 different loads, measured true 40yds to target.

Federal Flite Control #5 shot/2oz @ 40yds 99 pellets in a 10" circle (factory full choke)

Hevi-13 #6 shot/1 3/4oz @ 40yds 152 in a 10" circle (Hevi shot choke .667)

note: I did not clean the barrel or chokes, not sure if clean barrel makes better pattern or not?

Im looking forward to see the Hevi-13 performance on a long beard next month in Md.

Chrome lined barrels will benefit a bit from a good cleaning, but don't polish! Bore Shine works well.

I have found the 3" 2 oz H-13 loads to be far superior to their 1.75 oz loads, and many Benellis are doing well with 3" Magnum Blend in .660-.670 chokes.

Good luck!

I'm shooting Hevi-13 3 1/2" Magnum with a Hevi-Shot Turkey choke. When patterned at 40 yards I get 525 pellets in a 30 inch circle. With good even coverage.

The only question I ever had about the Crio barrels is are they like other barrels as far as different chokes and different loads work better with different guns. With the crio barrell being frozen and everything they may pattern similar.

I'm shooting Hevi-13 3 1/2" Magnum with a Hevi-Shot Turkey choke. When patterned at 40 yards I get 525 pellets in a 30 inch circle. With good even coverage.

The only question I ever had about the Crio barrels is are they like other barrels as far as different chokes and different loads work better with different guns. With the crio barrell being frozen and everything they may pattern similar.

Would these be 2 1/4oz shot? also how many in a 10" circle?

• 2 weeks later...
shot with my SBE II 28inch barrell

I finally patterned my gun last night, I decided to buy some Hevi shot 13 3 1/2 in 2 oz #6 shot

at 40 yards with a primos jelly head choke

exactly 300 bb's within a 10 inch circle, and 44 in the head and neck of the turkey that I drew on the pattern

ummmm, havent seen that even reported with Nitro Ammo? :confused: :D

Are you saying I am making it up?, so I guess you dont beleive post #13 where that person claims to have put over 500 in a 30 inch circle either huh?

The other guy that reported 500 pellets in a 30" circle also reported 121 in a 10" circle not 300?

Here is also a pellet count chart per oz in the Hevi-13 loads http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=46&Itemid=55

I do realize some guns shoot better patterns etc... but when guys shooting the Nitro loads at twice the price and are getting way less pellets than Hevi-13 results your reporting? sorry something isnt right.......maybe your not shooting a true 40yds? (120ft). Seen this happen quite often. I have never seen anyone shooting Hevi-13 #6 loads put 300 pellets in a 10" circle @ 40yds.