tureky patterns!

keep_m_kupt

For now I'm using my waterfowling SBEII with an Indian Creek choke. These were done in the middle of jan when it was -4* out. It's a little tighter in the spring and I actually get the best patterns with the 3.5" 1.75oz in either 4, 5, or 6's. Never patterned anything else because thats the only three shot sizes we are legally aloud to use.

I have dialed her in pretty good and have been using open sights the whole time. I finally decided to pattern it at 20 yards (which is where I shot most of my birds) The pattern was just over 4" wide!!! Seeing that made me realized my 8-0 has been lucky and I need to add a scope. I have the base from weaver on order and now just deciding on a scope. Also thinking about adding a pistol grip stock.

IMG_4450.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

kupt.

Edited by keep_m_kupt

I'm about to begin the testing process for 2011. I've got a new 870 SM with a Blurris Fast Fire waiting for some range time, as is the SBE II with some sort of optics, maybe a Bushnell Red Dot, maybe a Fast Fire.

I want to get the SBE II back in action with the Win XR, which I believe is a better load than the H-13, even though I shoot H-13 currently. I am just not sold on a 1090 fps load, and I miss the consistant hammering the Win XR handed out!

I'm looking for these types of patterns from all of my guns:

patterns039.jpg

patterns045.jpg

this is what my gun did with Winn XR. I was very dissapointed esp when the guys I hunt with it sware by it and say there is nothing else better out there.

IMG_4451.jpg

Another load to try is the Federal Heavyweight. I have yet to find a dealer around me but I have heard alot of good about them in Benelli's

kupt.

I was very dissapointed

How many birds have you killed with Win XR?

What size pellet was used for that photo?

I have shot a few brds with XR & H-13, and honestly, I think XR is much more effective at killing a bird quickly. I love the pattern density of the H-13 6/7, but I've had a few soft shots with them in the past few seasons, and I have no recollection of this happening with XR's.

We'll see what happens this season though....

All three are #6's. I have been using the 3.5" 1.75oz #6 in the gun last season the half the season before. THey pattern the best out of anything that I have patterned! ALso the #5's weren't to shabby either.

kupt.

180 #6's of Win XR at 40 yards is not too shabby :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i will agree with mudhen ...although number are higher with em the xr rocks em alot harder.... i have killed a few with each, em and xr and the xr kills have never left a turkey flopping from 5 to 40 yds .. the em kills have never been a real smasher on the turkeys... i would like to try some mag blend with the 1200 fps