What three guns would you take into battle/survival situations

Broken Legend

If you had to choose 3 guns to take into battle or to use in a survival/apocalypse situation, which would you choose?

I'm mostly talking about rifle, shotgun and sidearm. If you're gonna add a .22lr rifle for survival (a good idea), assume that your best friend/companion is with you and has that covered.

For me it's:

FNH Scar 17s w/ scope. (don't have it ... yet)

Benelli M4 w/ collapsible stock and full length magazine tube. (got it)

Springfield Armory XDM .40 (got it)

anything the Taliban is using probably would be high on the list, as would anything you could resupply from your enemy's supply line.

If your talking going little house on the prairie, I would say a SBE with a 28 inch barrel would be on the list.

AR-15 (carbine)

Benelli M4

Sig P226

Truth be told, I just wouldn't be comfortable with only three guns. Three guns cannot possibly cover all the situations one could find himself in. So, being limited to three guns, I'd have to try to cover as much as I could with what I have available. What I listed is what I'd probably go with because it is what is on hand and it covers the most situations. But what I'd actually take is dependant on several unknown factors, such as the reason for the survival situation, expected duration, and availability at that time.

If there is a foreign invasion, I might want a firearm that shares ammunition and parts with weapons of the invading force. Perhaps I'd drop the Benelli and take an AK instead.

If I have something else available--specifically, in the pistol department--maybe I'd take an AR pistol or an XDm-45. I haven't got either, but I would like them eventually. And I'd probably only take the 9mm over an XDm-45 for the quantity of ammo available.

A 12-gauge is really handy, and I'd hate to have to give that up for anything else ... You know what, I'd just take four. Screw your rule of three. ;)

AR-15 (carbine)

Benelli M4

Sig P226

Truth be told, I just wouldn't be comfortable with only three guns. Three guns cannot possibly cover all the situations one could find himself in. So, being limited to three guns, I'd have to try to cover as much as I could with what I have available. What I listed is what I'd probably go with because it is what is on hand and it covers the most situations. But what I'd actually take is dependant on several unknown factors, such as the reason for the survival situation, expected duration, and availability at that time.

If there is a foreign invasion, I might want a firearm that shares ammunition and parts with weapons of the invading force. Perhaps I'd drop the Benelli and take an AK instead.

If I have something else available--specifically, in the pistol department--maybe I'd take an AR pistol or an XDm-45. I haven't got either, but I would like them eventually. And I'd probably only take the 9mm over an XDm-45 for the quantity of ammo available.

A 12-gauge is really handy, and I'd hate to have to give that up for anything else ... You know what, I'd just take four. Screw your rule of three. ;)

i agree.. but thats when you just pick up weapons off the ground.. you know some people wont be able to fend for themselves ;)

Carry 3 guns several miles and get back to us. Carry your supporting equipment and ammunition load out you plan to haul.

A long arm and a side arm are common and easy to do. I do it weekly. Carrying 3 is a PITA and heavy. Last year on a back country hike, a friend injured his leg. So on top of carrying my gear, I had to sling his Benelli M4 and light pack. So I had my pack, his pack, my LMT MRP, his M4 and my other gear on my belt.

That was a long hike back.

The 12 gauge is difficult to justify due to the weight of the ammunition. I know everyone here is SOG and can hump their weight in gear across any terrain for days at a time without detection. ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well, maybe a radical call, but as someone that's humped a lot of gear for days I think weight is very important too, especially when you think about all the other things you'd need to survive aside from ammo. So if I'm on the move:

FN PS90

FN FiveseveN

I can carry a ton of 5.7 ammo. Yea, it isn't as 338, but as the focus would obviously be protection, this gives me suppressive fire out to 200 yards and effective fire to over 100 yards. 50 rd mags in the carbine, 20 or 30 rds in the pistol and ammo useable in both weapons. 50 rd boxes of ammo are 25% the weight and size of a box of 45 ammo or less. Weapons themselves are polymer based and travel well too.

Glad this is an academic discussion.

Great line of reasoning BigHat, the only thing I would also consider would be ammunition replenishment. 5.7 is not a common caliber and would much more difficult to source in the type scenario's this thread would be considering. 5.56 and 9mm would probably the easiest to find.

JM2C

Great line of reasoning BigHat, the only thing I would also consider would be ammunition replenishment. 5.7 is not a common caliber and would much more difficult to source in the type scenario's this thread would be considering. 5.56 and 9mm would probably the easiest to find.

JM2C

That's a very good point. I guess when we all mentally review the scenario the OP posed we think a bit differently about the conditions one is facing. You're totally right about 5.7 ammo availability, but thinking getting ammo in a period of societal breakdown in any caliber would be very hard to do at best so my aim would be to carry the max amount reasonable.

I have a couple of bug out bags prepared and it's really amazing how much more the one will a 5" 1911 and 45 ACP ammo weighs compared to the 5.7 equipped bag which also has three times the ammo.

Again, the power of the 5.7 round is a beaten to death topic and I'm no great cheerleader for the round, but I shoot it very accurately and that's a confidence builder in itself. I wouldn't want to take 2 or 3 center mass, that's for sure, and I think it certainly would allow me to break contact with the "problem."