What three guns would you take into battle/survival situations

Broken Legend

Pistol: Any 9mm

Rifle: Any 7.62x39

Shotgun: Any 12 guage

A year down the road (provided you're still alive) ammunition will be difficult if not impossible to find. The three calibers I have mentioned above can be found anywhere on our planet and represents your best chance to still be "shooting". There's a reason why on SciFi shows about the future, most folks are carrying large knives. Also, if you had a base of operations, I would stash a .22 rifle. In the poorest countries and way out in the boonies far from civilization, people still shoot .22's. From the far corners of Russia to a hamlet in Borneo somebody has a 12 guage. Don't think tomorrow, think 2 years down the road. Yea I know, it's 15 years after the end of the world, but somehow, the Internet has survived and people will still be blogging about where to buy extended magazines and laser sights for their M4's... Hey Joe, I've got a .338 that will drop a deer ay 600 yards easy. Has anybody seen any .338 ammo lately? Has anybody seen any deer lately? I haven't had a shower in 14 years!

5.7 is a great round for weight concerns. My wife carries a Five-Seven with a Surefire x400 on it. You'll likely never find it in the field though.

Stick with 22lr, 9mm, .223, 7.62 x 39, 45 acp, 38/357, 40 s&w, 308 and 30'06 and 12 gauge.

I'd recommend everyone watch the movie, "The Road" for a somewhat accurate portrayal of what the US will look like after Obama's second term. ;)

Edited by StrangerDanger

5.7 is a great round for weight concerns. My wife carries a Five-Seven with a Surefire x400 on it. You'll likely never find it in the field though.

Stick with 22lr, 9mm, .223, 7.62 x 39, 45 acp, 38/357, 40 s&w, 308 and 30'06 and 12 gauge.

I'd recommend everyone watch the movie, "The Road" for a somewhat accurate portrayal of what the US will look like after Obama's second term. ;)

I was just throwing the 5.7 option out as food for thought. Discussing the weight issue and ammo compatibility between a handgun and a carbine as things for others to ponder. Frankly, really don't know what I'd really carry out the door. Lots of options, but nothing would be "perfect."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_SCAR

I won't provide the link out of respect to benelli forum but you can check prices at impact guns for these little workhorses.

if you going to go all in on this concept of shtf - why not use what the military is using since its been tested.

side arms are not carried by anyone in war but officers and squad leaders etc and clerks and back up type people behind the lines - thus experience would suggest they are not worth the bother in a true survival type world.

and shotguns are just too heavy to haul for anyone young or anyone old.

Edited by Vague

Pistols make excellent close quarter combat weapons. Even compared to a SBR, they offer many advantages. Example, if you have to get someone who has crawled under a house. Or in a mine. They also offer the concealment aspect.

Carry lightweight as possible. No armor. No multiple gallons of water. No 500 rounds of ammunition. No mall ninja gear. A load bearing pack that holds the weight on your waist is your best friend. A typical shoulder pack will make you cry for your mama within a mile or two.

Most aren't conditioned to haul 40, 50 or more pounds of weight over uneven terrain for long distances. Military personnel train to to this often.

I go out once a week and plan a hike/shooting routine. We carry basic essentials. Some are only a mile or two. Some are 6 to 8 miles over rough terrain.

After several miles, it can feel like someone is stabbing you between the shoulder blades if you poorly carry your load.

If you're carrying a weapon with a heavy barrel, ask yourself why? Do you have a full auto? Even lightweights won't burn out from a couple mag dumps.

Every option you purchase should be weighed on value and item weight. Expenses in weight reductions are worthy investments. Heck, guys who climb Everest and others cut the handle off of their tooth brush to save a half ounce? Adopt this idea towards gear and you can;

A. Bring more tools as a result

B. Operate with less of a load which will reduce your physical stress and make you more effective. If you're stressing, you're going to burn through resources like water and calories quick.

If I could only have three:

• Assault Rifle: AK-47 or AR-15 (16/18) (it’s all about firepower when you find yourself in a gun battle)
  • Standard Rifle: A 30-06 with scope (best overall long-range and widely available cartridge for aliens or putting game on the table)
  • Pistol: 45 ACP (if the aliens are big and tough) or 9mm (if the aliens are smaller but more plentiful)

… And, if I could add a fourth:

Shotgun: 12 gauge, autoloader or pump with an extended magazine

Useful additions are body armor, night vision equipment, a whole bunch of clips, and a ton (literally) of ammo to feed your weapons. Of course you need a mule to carry all this stuff, so add a couple of donkeys or an armor-plated Suburban to the list.

If it’s anarchy and chaos (Egypt, Bahrain, and Yemen for now, and possibly Tunisia, Lebanon, Syria and Iran in the near future), your immediate need is close-in protection. The best weapons here are an assault rifle (for firepower) backed-up by a pistol. You want to have weapons that overpower the enemy, and that is simply lots of firepower delivered by an automatic weapon.

--Spike

Edited by Spike100
AR 16 and 18 are prototypes. You want tested rifles for self defense.

ya I just read that the military canceled their contract for scar rifles. So the ftf issue must have been widespread in what rifles they were using.

so I leave it to those of you who know way more than I do about the subject. What ar15 would be the best bet? I know the military is using the colt but I have also read there are ftf problems with it also and they are told to just keep it wet. Not a solution.

would this be the answer for an old guy? http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/02/ryan-finn/gun-review-marlin-336-cowboy-assault-rifle/ lol

Carry 3 guns several miles and get back to us. Carry your supporting equipment and ammunition load out you plan to haul.

A long arm and a side arm are common and easy to do. I do it weekly. Carrying 3 is a PITA and heavy. Last year on a back country hike, a friend injured his leg. So on top of carrying my gear, I had to sling his Benelli M4 and light pack. So I had my pack, his pack, my LMT MRP, his M4 and my other gear on my belt.

That was a long hike back.

The 12 gauge is difficult to justify due to the weight of the ammunition. I know everyone here is SOG and can hump their weight in gear across any terrain for days at a time without detection. ;)

I'm definitely a SOG (Slow Old Grandpa). I had a similar experience a few years back when my son killed a nice buck 2 miles away from the truck. I had to carry 3 rifles, binos,rangefinder,steady sticks, etc. plus my fat a_ _ while my son and nephew drug the deer out.:D I would opt for my G-21SF and LMT CQB MRP.

1) My Steyr Aug A3 for its compactness and ease of breakdown and cleaning after any zombie attack.:eek:

2) Glock 30 side arm for when I'm cleaning my Aug and it's not battle ready. It will give me the 20 seconds I need to get the Aug all back together. You won't find that ability in many weapons.:cool:

3) Probably the most important for survival and ease of carry of both gun and ammo, my Ruger 77/22 mag for small game on the run and in a pinch a little bigger game if needed.

The only reason I would have my Benelli M4 is if I am hold up somewhere in a cabin or building and there is a CQB possibility. Then I would have the difficult choice as to which I would trade it for. ????

This post was a catalyst for thinking things through. For all of you that are still young enjoy the idea of a bug out bag and camping in the tetons. I think unless you live there you won't get there. People will form road blocks on all interstate and roads leading out of towns and cities and take your stuff before you get anywhere even if you had gas which you won't in a shtf deal. - handguns - a must need with big mags - shotguns wonderful ( see movie (straw dogs) for defending a home (plus a bear trap) - rifle - if you going to shoot your food makes sense - not good for when the zombie are storming your home unless you have many mags and other family members defending all possible entry points - thinking zombies as in rioting crowds - everything will be fine until they throw gas bombs at you house - all this has led me into buying a ar type pistol round 45 ar and a good old lever 357 - interchangable with handgun ammo - As we see from the show walking dead and movie The Road - ammo is a big deal - the problem is meeting up with groups who are working together to take you out.. I am sorry but there is no way around it - Hungry people will do anything to eat - the movie The trigger effect was based on a real theme that psychologists studied that said society with no power or resources will break down within 72 hours - once the rodney king verdict was read how long did it take for parts of LA to collapse - and OJ walked free just for that reason they didn't want a repeat. Thats my take on things - use long big ace bandages to strap as many hand guns as you can to your person and carry two light weight rifles - you might have to put them down when you go in the kitchen or bathroom. lol