What three guns would you take into battle/survival situations

Broken Legend

nice, what kinda stock is that on the left?

Magpul EBR. I have one but it's off the rifles now. CTRs are lighter but without the nice EBR cheek weld. Right now I'm a CTR fan with the riser LaRue is making. Of course, tomorrow....

Edited by BigHat

I keep tipping back and forth between the Scar 17 and a LaRue OBR. I keep siding with the Scar because the LaRue would turn into a 6k boondoggle. Plus the Scar is seriously light weight.

I, too, narrowed my 7.62 choices down to the OBR and SCAR 17. After owning and selling a SCAR 16, I chose the OBR 7.62. You hit the nail right on the head regarding the pricetag -- with the rifle, scope, and suppressor, I have $6100 in the package. As heavy as it is, it'd be a great choice for long-range defense of your home, but wouldn't be something you would carry if you had to bug out. Luckily for me, I live in a rural area, so I have no need to bug out anywhere.

The first rifle I would grab in a true survival situation would be my suppressed Ruger 77/22. It would put food on the table, and would make an excellent anti-personnel weapon. Talk about "Hollywood quiet".

I doubt that I could narrow it down to three choices, as each serves a distinct role. My suppressed HK .45 Tactical would be best served as something I could easily carry in places where I couldn't pack other firearms. My suppressed M16 would serve as a true battle weapon where I needed heavy fire. As mentioned already, my suppressed OBR 7.62 would be for long-range defense. And my Benelli M4 would be for close quarters situations inside my home.

M1014

PS90

FN 5.7

The lightweight of the to FN guns would help make up for the my heavy 1014.. Also, I can carry a crapload more 5.7 ammo than even .223.. Heck, with three mags in the PS90 and three in the 5.7 pistol I have 240 rnds ready to go and even a 1,000 rnds isn't all that heavy.

This is assuming I'm bugging out on foot. If I'm barricaded at home it's my SCAR 16, 1911 and still the M1014

Edited by Steve1968LS2

Stranger Danger,

Nice weapons. Been reading your posts for weeks now...thanks for all the great info...always well researched and thoroughly accurate.

Just got my two M4's. Ordered two c-stocks as well. Wondering...is it possible to shoot the M4 with the stock fully collapsed if you moved your T-1 forward on the rail? Obviously this couldn't be done if you were using iron sights, and the pistol grip would not be in the optimal position either. But it would shorten the length by about 3 inches from mid position, and would move the center of gravity further aft. I doubt it'll work....put if it did, it would be pretty slick.

Certainly the mid-position would be optimum otherwise.

It can be done, but you risk socking yourself in the face during recoil. Trying to aim through the Aimpoint would be pretty tough. If you were to shoot in this manner, you'd be best just point shooting.

M4Madness, you have an awesome setup there. Death from afar with the benefit of being quiet -- At least masking the source of fire.

The only way to improve upon that package is to go NightVision or better yet, FLIR. I work with FLIR quite a bit at work. It owns all for threat detection. It isn't very good for threat identification though. I find its range to be superior to the night vision. Even if the vehicle or person is just a pixel moving, it stands out contrasted against the background. Enemy lights or natural light sources do not effect the field of view either. Night vision generally blooms out or causes the optic to auto-gate and close the aperture.

With FLIR, you get to dump all the weapon light crap too.

Prices continue to plummet. Quality continues to climb.

Your rifle + FLIR would = Ownership of one of my BOL's.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/18104589.jpg

Power lines are 3.5 miles away. Interstate is 5 miles. The only approach is up a long beat to crap dirt road up the shown valley. About a 1000 feet of vertical elevation gain over the power line area.

Good point about the FLIR, but the latest generations of NVDs feature a combination of thermal and standard night vision.

Let's hope that technology will be available soon to civvies.

Played with these fused sensors just before exiting the Marines. Very nice.

Sadly, a VERY good Gen 3 Pinnacle AN/PVS-14 still remains close to $4K for civvies. With thermals alone running $10K, getting these affordable is going to take awhile I fear.

You're lucky then, I haven't had the chance to try one of these out, but I love the concept, having the best of both worlds.

The price will surely go down, but I fear that civvies won't even be allowed to buy them, just like f.e. the PEQ-16A or similar.

Magpul EBR. I have one but it's off the rifles now. CTRs are lighter but without the nice EBR cheek weld. Right now I'm a CTR fan with the riser LaRue is making. Of course, tomorrow....

Thanks,

Looked it up.

Interesting. Yeah, weights an issue.

But I like the stationary piece for a cheek weld.

Thanks,

Looked it up.

Interesting. Yeah, weights an issue.

But I like the stationary piece for a cheek weld.

Just decide exactly what you want to end up with as a weapons system. At first I didn't like the CTR that came on a piston gun (LWRC M6A2 special edition) so I purchased an EBR. It's still sitting in the box though as I opted to keep the rifle as light as possible.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a Knight's Armament/Magpul project AR (100 pieces only) that's super light. It too comes with a CTR. Aside from a AP T-1 and a small light I'm going to run that one clean. I may pop the EBR back on to the M6A2 and hang a Swavorski Z6i BRT I also have sitting in a LaRue mount. With that optic mounted, the EBR will enhance the balance a bit. If you remove all the compartments etc, it's a tad lighter, but has a nicer cheek weld for a conventional optic. Still going to be a heavy mother, but a nice rifle nonetheless.

You're lucky then, I haven't had the chance to try one of these out, but I love the concept, having the best of both worlds.

The price will surely go down, but I fear that civvies won't even be allowed to buy them, just like f.e. the PEQ-16A or similar.

Well, what I "tried" was on a portable test bench and I got to look through it along with a few others at HQMC. Think it was 2003, so a prototype only.

Have to admit to thinking the same thing you note on civvy availability. The big difference (in my view) is that it still remains a passive device. Any of the pointers/illuminators aren't, so the FDA limits who gets to use lasers that operate in that spectrum (class 3b). If you have a spare $900 you can get an eye safe version that couples IR and green lasers emitters. Only thing is that it starts to drop off at 100 yards.

Class one: http://www.tnvc.com/shop/ldi-dbal-i2-class-1-ir-laser/

Edited by BigHat

I'm still thinking a pump .22 rifle. Ammo is available every where. Once you get outside of the city, chances are most households have a few loose rounds in a junk drawer. An entire brick (500 rounds) weighs just a few pounds. The .22 can kill small game up to and including deer and drop any Zombie you may come across.

Yes, I know a pump .22 isn't as cool as some of the weapons systems mentioned on this forum and you won't be dropping Antelope at 600 yards. And if you run into a large horde of Zombies, you're days are numbered unless you have a functioning mini-gun.

After about a year of no electricity, food or any type of government, I figure your two most pressing concerns will be food and keeping a low profile. Crowds of folks will be hunting down people with uba weapons systems for their own, or group, protection and hopefully will leave me with my little .22 alone.

The bottom line is to have some thing. Most of my friends will simply be following behind whoever happpens to have one of those uba weapons sytems, hoping for any tidbit.

Seems to me that regardless of weapons type, trying to manage on ones own in a "shtf" scenario is not a practical outlook. Specially those of us with spouses.

I don't think she would appreciate the "Sorry babe, gotta go" routine".

More likley, you find out (real quick) who your real friends are, and who can really be trusted, and stick together. Try to have weapons that are complimentary.

I would stick with my carbine and a shotgun, but maybe my buddy has a good high power rifle and a little .22 for hunting.

Between the two of us, we could fend off some zombies, or other roving cannibal hordes.

@ BigHat

I've read that TNVC started to produce a civvie IR laser, great effort imho.

Where do you (or would you) recommend buying NVD?

I remember seeing those combo thermal/NV monoculars for sale somewhere (I'm thinking it was ownthenight.com) around 20k, but I can't manage to find them anymore.

@ Topic:

.22 is the way to go for prolonged periods of SHTF. Of course having a 5.56 carbine and a shottie is always nice, but for "everyday" work, like hunting etc, get a few thousand shots in .22, and you're good to go.

@SgtCathy:

Why specifically a pump .22? I thought there were some decent semi-auto .22 rifles out there nowadays?

€: scratch ownthenight.com, it was ATNcorp.com, their fusion-imaging system.

Sadly, a VERY good Gen 3 Pinnacle AN/PVS-14 still remains close to $4K for civvies. With thermals alone running $10K, getting these affordable is going to take awhile I fear.

FLIR Scout models are priced around $3K:

http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/personalvision/products/scout/

http://www.amazon.com/FLIR-Scout-Thermal-Imaging-Device/dp/B004Q4R4UU

Hi XOMOEL !!

I picked a pump .22 figuring semi-auto's tend to be finicky and supplies like gun oil might be short on hand, plus all my pump .22's are take down models and my Browning Trombone is very small and light. A very small bolt action .22 might also work fine. My thinking of course is that whatever I'm carrying, is all I own.

All true, but I was talking about milspec weapon thermals. This is a good sign though. Integration still very complex.

http://www.tnvc.com/shop/category/thermal-scopes/

Yeah, just like anything else, pricing runs from decent to absurd. With these lower-priced FLIR models on the market, it can do nothing but drive the expensive stuff down in price as well once demand for them decreases.

You can get the FLIR First Mate (which is the same as the Scout, only yellow) for less than $2500!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_11151_10001_487789_-1?cid=chanintel_google&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=487789

I have never understood the fascination with 22 LR as a bug-out type survival firearm. Sure, if living in the woods (which is never going to happen) is what you're talking about, shooting squirrels, then sure. And yeah, I know all the benefits of the lighter weight ammo yada yada. But it is a plinking round.

I have never understood the fascination with 22 LR as a bug-out type survival firearm. Sure, if living in the woods (which is never going to happen) is what you're talking about, shooting squirrels, then sure. And yeah, I know all the benefits of the lighter weight ammo yada yada. But it is a plinking round.

I live in the country and have no plans to head into any big cities should society collapse, so, yes, I'd be living in the woods. I'd be very happy to carry my suppressed Ruger 77/22. It's light, it's cheap to shoot, and extremely quiet. I could pick off unsuspecting bandits/invaders with close-range, silent head shots, as well as put wild game on the table.

13006Supressed_7722.jpg

Edited by M4Madness

Great line of reasoning BigHat, the only thing I would also consider would be ammunition replenishment. 5.7 is not a common caliber and would much more difficult to source in the type scenario's this thread would be considering. 5.56 and 9mm would probably the easiest to find.

Totally agree on the ammo. As discussed, we all establish an image in our own mind as to what a "battle/survival" scene really means, and this thread reveals there are differences. I raised the 5.7 and carbine/pistol apps just to add food for thought. I'm thinking that my role is this scenario is one of defending vs. attacking. With 100 yard effectiveness assured I'm set.

Also thinking it pretty good to be able to carry 500 rds + for my pistol and carbine with little effort and thus avoid the need to barter with anyone for ammo.

Edited by BigHat