What three guns would you take into battle/survival situations

Broken Legend

I live in the country and have no plans to head into any big cities should society collapse, so, yes, I'd be living in the woods. I'd be very happy to carry my suppressed Ruger 77/22. It's light, it's cheap to shoot, and extremely quiet. I could pick off unsuspecting bandits/invaders with close-range, silent head shots, as well as put wild game on the table.

Okay, a suppressed 22 has it's place for game getting, but strictly because it might make it more difficult for someone to zero in on your position after firing.

But come onnnn - give me a break. Shooting unsuspecting bandits/invaders with close range, silent head shots? You're kidding right?

LOL

Don't be silly. If, and this is a big IF because I never see this happening in this country, but if that were to happen and if you were to run-up on more men than you have, well trained, well armed and well motivated men, you should just get your stuff together and un@$$ the AO and forget about them if all you are armed with is a suppressed 10/22, trust me. E&E out of there as fast and you can, pop smoke and get. Seriously. I've been there. You have no idea what you are typing when you type something like that. It's just silly.

Great line of reasoning BigHat, the only thing I would also consider would be ammunition replenishment. 5.7 is not a common caliber and would much more difficult to source in the type scenario's this thread would be considering. 5.56 and 9mm would probably the easiest to find.

If stuff gets that bad I imagine replenishment will be an issue except what you can scavenge.

In that case I bet you can scavenge .223 weapons as easily as .223 ammo.

If I'm bugging out (ie, away from home).. I'm going to be evading and trying to stay out of fights. This means the 500-700 rnds I'm carrying will last a long time (with luck forever). The weapons and ammo I chose were based on weight which is very critical when traveling on foot.

Okay, a suppressed 22 has it's place for game getting, but strictly because it might make it more difficult for someone to zero in on your position after firing.

But come onnnn - give me a break. Shooting unsuspecting bandits/invaders with close range, silent head shots? You're kidding right?

LOL

Don't be silly. If, and this is a big IF because I never see this happening in this country, but if that were to happen and if you were to run-up on more men than you have, well trained, well armed and well motivated men, you should just get your stuff together and un@$$ the AO and forget about them if all you are armed with is a suppressed 10/22, trust me. E&E out of there as fast and you can, pop smoke and get. Seriously. I've been there. You have no idea what you are typing when you type something like that. It's just silly.

I have a suppressed M16 for those types of situations. In a SHTF type situation, more than likely you'll be dealing with untrained individuals whom have no goal beyond killing others for their food and supplies -- the local population. And, no, I'm not some delusional survivalist who prays for that type of scenario. On the contrary, I have made very few preparations for such an event. I would like to think at 43 that I'm wise enough to choose my own battles and not attempt to take on an enemy platoon with a bolt-action .22LR.

Heck, even Wikipedia sees the bigger picture:

The .22 LR has also seen limited usage by police and military snipers. Its main advantage in this role is its low noise, but it is usually limited to urban operations because of its short range.

The Israeli military used a suppressed .22 LR rifle in the 1990s for riot control and to "eliminate disturbing dogs prior to operations", though it is now used less often as it has been shown to be more lethal than previously suspected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Long_Rifle

Suppressors were regularly used by agents of the United States Office of Strategic Services (OSS), who favored the newly designed High Standard HDM .22 Long Rifle pistol during World War II.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

Some more interesting reading:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-412581.html

AR15 in .223, colt 1911 45ACP, and Remington 11-87 12 gauge All are easy to clean, functional and ammo is common place. Think about how common these three calibers are. These are based on your friend has the 22lr and ammo covered. And I may re-think my picks! That a pump 12 gauge would be better than the semi auto. Looking at my first picks as being all semi auto a simple pump might be a smarter choice for a scatter gun. Thinking about repairs that may be needed in the field a pump Ithaca Featherlight or Winchester would be better than the 11-87 . If I could only have one it would be my trusty 1911 gold cup! Light and easy to carry, easy to clean and disassemble with no tools. 45acp ammo is in every town. If my friend was leaving me I'd try to trade the 1911 for the .22lr.

• 1 year later...

If, for instance, the super volcano beneath Yellowstone blew, and I had to fend for my family--to at least some extent for at least some time...I'd want:

A Browning BL 22

Then a shotgun-A Benelli,

Then a real rifle! Maybe the R1 in .338, maybe...

If I could add a 4th it'd be a Barrett in .50BMG

or maybe a Remington Sendero in .300 Win Mag for accuracy.

I am going to have to side with M4 on this one. The 22L is one of the most under rated weapons. They have been used in war many times. If you and your crew were plundering and one of them gets shot in the head and dies in front of you, you are going to think twice about taking another step. The Ruger 77/22 that he is shooting is a top of the line weapon. I am willing to bet he can place tight groups at 50-100 yards. I know I can with mine and I don't know anyone who wants to fight after taking a 22L in the eye, face, neck, or head. At 100 yards a 22L can take anyone out of a fight. You could bring the rain down on a group bandits without giving up your location and I would be willing to bet you could take out or down 5 or more people before they even knew what was happening. That alone would scare 99% of people and force a group of bandits to go back the way they came.

Edited by rhane71

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

This is a interesting thread. I think I would take the Benelli M3, over a pound lighter than the M4 and semi auto or pump if it gets super fouled. An AK 74 chambered in 5.56 for the simplicity and ammo availability in the U.S. and a 9mm pistol, again, due to readily available ammo. I do have all 3. Let's just hope it remains all speculation.

4 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

This is a interesting thread. I think I would take the Benelli M3, over a pound lighter than the M4 and semi auto or pump if it gets super fouled. An AK 74 chambered in 5.56 for the simplicity and ammo availability in the U.S. and a 9mm pistol, again, due to readily available ammo. I do have all 3. Let's just hope it remains all speculation.

AK operating system does not like the minimal taper 5.56 case. It is meant for heavily tapered x39 cases, and this is a huge aspect of its reliability and operating system design parameters.

3 hours ago, StreetSweeper56 said:

Oh, I'd take whatever presented itself at the moment, I was just looking at it as a "what if" exercise.

Part of the "what if" exercise is a weapon's weight and length when looking at SHTF scenarios: 

• "What if" my truck was the primary transportation for exodus if the SHTF, which weapon to carry and what weight/length?
  • "What if" I had to backpack out of the area, which weapon to carry and what weight/length?
  • "What if" I decided to 'bunker-in" in my house, which weapon to carry all the time and what weight/length?
  • "What if" my neighborhood decided to form a Mutual Assurance Group, which weapon to carry and what weight/length AND which weapon to give to a neighbor?
  • "What if" via the SHTF I had to hunt for food, which weapon to carry and what weight/length?
  • "What if" given the many SHTF scenarios, which weapon caliber is best for the situation and how many rounds do I carry? 

Yes, a great deal to think about, I and applaud you for considering the "what if" scenarios. 

si vis pacem, para bellum !

• Upvote 1

For combat/conflict on the move situation:

Though I have never cared for them, if time allowed, I'd probably get an AR with a couple of calibers such as .458 SOCOM, 300 blackout or whisper, and maybe even the .223 (which I am not a fan of).

If I carried a second long arm, I'd probably pick my M3T folder, or M4.

For survival, my original HK import Benelli SBE. In fact, if I could have only one gun, this would be it. I've got slug barrel for it with QD scope mounts and Leupold Ultimate Slam 2x7sx32 scope as well as a short and long barrel, etc.

For just survival or a slower paced conflict situation, I'd want a decent mid to long range rifle in a capable caliber. Of my current options, I'd grab my .338 Lapua. It is actually fairly light with carbon fiber barrel and stock. I have both a suppressor and muzzle brake for it, and 3 options for scopes. This gun outshoots my abilities which while they aren't military sniper good, they aren't bad

For a handgun in both scenarios, it would be in 10mm auto. Most likely a G20 for battle, G40 for survival. I've got those plus I CCW a G29. I'd consider the 5.7 too, but I am currently in between them. I have plenty (absurd amount) of ammo for 10mm auto. I have quite a few guns in this caliber, and I shot them all a lot. So, I collected brass for over 25 years (more than a 55 gallon drums' worth). I finally bought a reloading setup back about 6 years ago and now all but the couple thousand rounds I've shot already this spring, those are all loaded now and ready to go. ?

On 2/17/2011 at 10:08 AM, Broken Legend said:

If you had to choose 3 guns to take into battle or to use in a survival/apocalypse situation, which would you choose?

I'm mostly talking about rifle, shotgun and sidearm. If you're gonna add a .22lr rifle for survival (a good idea), assume that your best friend/companion is with you and has that covered.

For me it's:

FNH Scar 17s w/ scope. (don't have it ... yet)

Benelli M4 w/ collapsible stock and full length magazine tube. (got it)

Springfield Armory XDM .40 (got it)

First of all, I wouldn't take 3. 

For a side arm - M1911 or A1 .45acp

Long gun - M4 .223 W/happy switch, SAFE - SEMI & YEHAW

Alpha33 out.......................................

phpr9bVW2AM.jpg