Benelli SBE II bore size

hurricane

plan to order a new SBE II after so many great comments on it. the gunsmith is a friend and insists he won't order until I can tell him why the Benelli has a different bore size compared to other 12 ga shotguns. Unable to find such info on the website and have found no posts on these forums. He's a known leg puller but I figured one of you might be able to set me straight and shut him up so I can order my shotgun! Thanks

plan to order a new SBE II after so many great comments on it. the gunsmith is a friend and insists he won't order until I can tell him why the Benelli has a different bore size compared to other 12 ga shotguns. Unable to find such info on the website and have found no posts on these forums. He's a known leg puller but I figured one of you might be able to set me straight and shut him up so I can order my shotgun! Thanks

From what I can ascertain from the internet, Benelli 12 gauge bore size is 0.725" while the normal 12 bore size is 0.729"

As for the why, beats me.

I think you should demand a cost + 5% price on your SBEII from your gunsmith.

Edited by hattles

There is a range of bore diamaters that meets the standard of a 12 gauge, SBE leans towards the tighter side. They feel their market is for what they make. Berretta runs middle of the road and Browning seems to go large. I do not know how many different makers have same diamater, less than you would think.

Edited by OldFlick

Thanks for the replies. Re my purchase decision, I work at the company where I am ordering and qualify for a "pro" deal at about 50% of retail, hard to argue with. Re the bore size, I had noticed while researching choke tubes for my Beretta Silver Pigeon S that there is a good deal of variability in bore sized from one gun, and one manufacturer to another. Just another case where there is more than one right answer, I guess. Thanks, Hattles, for the measurement, I had not seen such numbers. Good shooting to all.

Thanks for the replies. Re my purchase decision, I work at the company where I am ordering and qualify for a "pro" deal at about 50% of retail, hard to argue with. Re the bore size, I had noticed while researching choke tubes for my Beretta Silver Pigeon S that there is a good deal of variability in bore sized from one gun, and one manufacturer to another. Just another case where there is more than one right answer, I guess. Thanks, Hattles, for the measurement, I had not seen such numbers. Good shooting to all.

hurricane, sounds like a good place to work and a great deal. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

50% off retail price......? wow

he won't order until I can tell him why the Benelli has a different bore size compared to other 12 ga shotguns

So it will work :)

Tell him to read up on the inertia driven system of Benelli. It requires a certain bore to function. If you bore out a Benelli enough, it will stop cycling.

Bore ID runs all over the place on Benellis, always has, always will as long as the boring bit costs big $$$.

Spec ID is .723, but I've seen them all the way down to .718, and I own a .719 SBE II. They start with a new bore cutter at .723, and go from there.

Blame Franky for making the barrels this way :D

I know turkey hunters that will mic a Benelli before buying it. Of course, the new sugar shot has really helped Benelli's skinny bores....