Benelli M4 -- carriercomp Picatinny Rail

StrangerDanger

I finally got around to upgrading my Benelli M4 to one of carriercomp's Picatinny top rails.

I've used almost every rail system available for the M4;

• Factory
  • Mesa Tactical
  • SideArmor

Recently, I had been using a Mod 1 SideArmor top rail system. While the SideArmor was far better than the factory rail, the design raised the Picatinny rail higher than the factory and carriercomp's. This had the negative aspect of obstructing the FOV of the iron sights. This aspect was compounded by the longer top rail. This crowds the iron sights and FOV somewhat. The added weight and bulk of the full top rail was a negative aspect. It significantly slowed the speed in which you could "snap" the barrel onto a target. The Mod 2 is even worse due to the higher weight. The bulk surrounding the handguards also obstructed the users ability to roll the weapon in the palm of your hand. These type of handling techniques help when short sticking the shotgun, or rolling to reload. Shell change overs...

If I recall, the Mesa Tactical unit also rose the rail slightly to accommodate their receiver plate for mounting their shell carrier to the extrusion.

The fit and finish of Kip's rail is as expected, perfect. It's beveled where it should be to reduce snag hazards. The screw holes are properly cut so the factory screws seat properly. The rail itself is true spec. No BS cuts down the center. They're honestly not needed with this low profile rail.

The fit with my LaRue mount on my Aimpoint T1 is solid. I would highly recommend using blue locktite to attach the mounting hardware. Great care should be taken to avoid stripping the fine threads in the thin aluminum receiver.

The carriercomp rail uses the existing Benelli hardware to attach the rail to the receiver. I did no have my original hardware anymore. Luckily I was able to purchase the set from a fellow member here. This hardware cannot be sourced at the usual places like Brownells or Numrich.

My wife stole my camera this week, so I do not have any photos of the unit installed. You can see several photos at the carriercomp website here:

http://shop.carriercomp.com/product.sc?productId=6&categoryId=5

If you intend to mount anything to the M4's top rail, do yourself a favor and pick one of these rails up. It's one of those small upgrades that make the weapon "the way it should have been" from the factory.

Now, we just need to get Kip to release the following items;

1. US made Disconnector

2. US made Hammer

3. Titanium Bolt Handle

• Upvote 1

I actually spent the better part of an hour today trying to find my rail from Kip. It appears to have been lost during my move, tragically. I am still hopeful that I will find it in one of my yet to be unpacked boxes.

I can't help but laugh that the part that got made largely because of my thread is now eluding me once again. ****.

Yeah, the base of Kip's charging handle is steel. The worry is titanium will be damaged by the steel detent. Even with the steel, it is still a very light weight option. It's on par with the Design Concepts.

At least you didn't loose the mounting hardware. I just went through that pain in the ass. Might be blasphemy to have had the replacement rail for 6 months or so and not mounting it the day you received it. ;)

Even if you don't mount anything to the top rail, the replacement is a visual enhancement.

If I dead set on a shell carrier, I'd use this:

504.jpg

http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgungear/Side-Saddle/8-Shell-Side-Saddle-p23.html

It's cheap. It weighs nothing. It squishes flat when not in use. I have the SideArmor rail and shell carrier. The full rail crowds the iron sights. The rail is also raised higher than the factory and carriercomp unit. This exasperates the crowding.

The SideArmor carriers are heavy. Even the 4 shell unit I have weighs like 4 or 5 ounces. Then add the weight of each shell to that. 2 ounces each. So if you're rocking a larger 6 or 8 shell carrier, you're looking at a pound in bullets, and probably half a pound in carrier. Then a few additional ounces for the SideArmor top rail. It's quite wide too, it nearly doubles the thickness of the receiver. When carrying slung, this can be less than ideal.

Nice Pics SD. What brand is your bandolier? and if I remember correctly, didn't you have the VCAS padded sling with swivel mounts? At any rate, you save me some money in the long run (not purchasing the Sidearmor Saddel Mounts) I'll spend it on Kips rail.

Thanks again for the pics. Nice country out there!

It seems plausible to me that one might be able to find some nice countersunk hex head screws

in the right diameter and thread pitch. A quick google search for "countersunk hex screw" turns up

a lot of results. Granted, I don't know offhand what pitch the taps in the M4 receiver use nor the

diameter, but these things are easily measured. Of course, I would not be so surprised if the specs on this render commercially available hex head replacement screws "unobtanium" due to bizarre dimension choices on the part of Benelli (case and point: 5.5 mm front sight nut)...

What I have been told is the bottom side angle of the fastener is irregular. I tried to source a replacement set several weeks ago when adding this rail. Kip from carriercomp didn't have a sourced replacement.

Furthermore, they use flatheads to reduce the chance of the user from overtorquing the fastener and stripping out the fine aluminum threads. What I did on mine is I added a very small witness mark on each screw that references to a witness mark I put on the rail. This way I can visually inspect if the fastener is backing out on me. I do this on all my screws and nuts. Naturally, blue locktite was also used.

• 1 month later...
I finally got around to upgrading my Benelli M4 to one of carriercomp's Picatinny top rails.

I've used almost every rail system available for the M4;

• Factory
  • Mesa Tactical
  • SideArmor

Recently, I had been using a Mod 1 SideArmor top rail system. While the SideArmor was far better than the factory rail, the design raised the Picatinny rail higher than the factory and carriercomp's. This had the negative aspect of obstructing the FOV of the iron sights. This aspect was compounded by the longer top rail. This crowds the iron sights and FOV somewhat. The added weight and bulk of the full top rail was a negative aspect. It significantly slowed the speed in which you could "snap" the barrel onto a target. The Mod 2 is even worse due to the higher weight. The bulk surrounding the handguards also obstructed the users ability to roll the weapon in the palm of your hand. These type of handling techniques help when short sticking the shotgun, or rolling to reload. Shell change overs...

Thanks for the great info. Been trying to decide between Kips rail and the Sidearmor rail. Can anyone else weigh in? The Sidearmor offers a solid mount for a flashflight, but there's a lot of negatives about it too...almost a full pound is a lot of weight to add (15.5 ounces with the sidearmor), and all the things mentioned above. Can anyone else weigh in?

• 1 month later...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]639[/ATTACH]

I ended up going with a Surefire M80. Covered it in black LaRue Index Clips. Then added a Surefire M600c Scout Light on a GearSector Offset Mount. I had to modify the M80 to accept the GearSector offset mount. Just a minor trim of the rubberized portion.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]639[/ATTACH]

I ended up going with a Surefire M80. Covered it in black LaRue Index Clips. Then added a Surefire M600c Scout Light on a GearSector Offset Mount. I had to modify the M80 to accept the GearSector offset mount. Just a minor trim of the rubberized portion.

Dang, neat setup. Thanks for the pictures really helps understanding of the installation. Never seen an M80 up close and can't visualize the rubberized portion. Will investigate.

Again thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]640[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]641[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]642[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]643[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]644[/ATTACH]

Thanks. These pictures might help you more. The rubberized portion is at the top of the rail that seats against the barrel. One picture shows where I trimmed the rubber.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]640[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]641[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]642[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]643[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]644[/ATTACH]

Thanks. These pictures might help you more. The rubberized portion is at the top of the rail that seats against the barrel. One picture shows where I trimmed the rubber.

Dang you the man, for sure these HELP.

You know this 'friggin' forum is costing me mucho monies! Don't even have my M4 in hand, arriving next week and already I laid $190 for the carrierComp mag tube and now you have sunk the hook on your light configuration. Taking monies away from my scoot chrome project. :-(

Dang, dang.

The M4 is an expensive sumbitch. You're off to a good start though. The carriercomp tube is a must have item. I'd also nab his bolt handle, top rail and one of his soon to be released US made hammers.

HK's still selling his collapsible stocks relatively cheap.

Contact these guys by phone if you want to save some money on Surefire products:

https://newfrontierarmory.com/contact.htm

Guns and truck parts are always fighting for priority with me.