SBE II, Purchase or not Purchase

Commando

Hello everyone, Well I have seen alot of information regarding the cycling problems with the SBE. Im confused and dont know if I should buy one or not. I have a Nova and decide to put away my Beretta 390 and purchase a SBE II. Give me some good reasons why I should after hearing about the problems with malfunctions. :confused:

Because for every post you see regarding problems, there are literally thousands of people who have had no problems, including me.

OK, I don't have the numbers. But you have to understand that a public forum such as this draws people who are having problems and who are frustrated for one reason or another. The simple fact is that MOST people who own SBE II's have never had one single moment's trouble with them.

It's a machine, and it needs to be cared for in order to provide the service for which it was designed.

I have used mine this duck season and it has not failed me once. I have shot standard field loads on skeets and it has not failed me once.

Echo what Tucker said. Most will not post a flawless experience....but, will almost always post a problem seeking advice. I have the wood and matte version. I have fired 7/8 oz. Wally World loads for dove up to 3.5 BBs for waterfowl. I have not experienced a misfire, hang, jam or anything yet. I have put around 300 7/8 oz loads through it and a couple hundred steel loads through it without a gliche. It handles extremely well and my shooting has improved over my Mossberg and Ithaca. I lowered the drop with one of the spare shims and it did wonders for my accuracy. I have fired it as fast as possible just to see what happens using all loads. I have used it in the rain, etc. You will love it, no doubt.

I am with EFLOYD on this one. My SBEII has shot everthing from Winchester Super Speed 7/8oz to 3 1/2 hevi shot #4 without a hiccup. I have not babied it, taken it out in the rain, snow and sand pits of West TX. Clean her up and good to go. I love it.

After reading all the problems that have been posted about the SBEII I have been forced to belive the posts are coming from Beretta employees. How is it possible for this shotgun to eject one empty and one live round in one cycle. I don't buy that story, It just dosnt seem possible. I have been trying hard to come up with one bad thing and here it is: If you have the max4 and you lay your shotgun down to take a leak, you may not be able to find it (good camo). Summary: The new SBEII is with out a doubt the best autoloading shot gun that has ever been produced. My SBEII continues to impress me every trip to the blind.

Surfscoter,

Yep, that physically can't happen.

What does happen is on some shots like overhead, if you puss-shoulder the gun (like I do once a year) or do the bicep mount, the bolt sort of hangs back momentarily after the empty is ejected, the new shell comes up off the carrier and just sort of dribbles out the port as the bolt closes.

Hard to describe the misfeed, but my buddy watched it happen to me last week and that is what he described. The shell landed at my feet both times.

I think the weak mount sort of interferes with the inertia cycle.

No way is it ejecting a live shell 4 feet away like some describe, no way....

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by mudhen:

Surfscoter,

Yep, that physically can't happen.

I think the weak mount sort of interferes with the inertia cycle.

No way is it ejecting a live shell 4 feet away like some describe, no way....

mudhen - CA

I was wondering about all of that.

Put a shell in the chamber.

Hold the gun pointing up over your head (be careful with a live round...).

Jerk the gun down and the stop it abruptly.

Watch the shell cycle...

How another one follows it out I could never understand.

I've shot over 600 rds through my SBEII I bought 3 weeks ago and have had no problem. The first 350 were at the trap/skeet range w/ 1oz 3dram loads w/ no problems. I didn't clean the gun (except for the barrel) till after 500 rounds. I love the versitillity and the simplicity. I will never need another semi-auto shotgun. Too bad the won't through in a hat w/ a purchase. That is my only complaint.

• 2 years later...

Smart decision, just hope you are 10% smarter than an Italian shotgun and leave the operator errors to someone else!! You will be happy as a pig in a blanket as long as you can read manual and call Benelli C/S if this forum can't keep the hulls flying!!

I have to echo what everyone else is saying here. While I do not have nearly the experience with my SBE II that some of the folks who have already posted have, I have fired probably 500-600 shells through it with no problems. I have fired low recoil tactical loads through it just to see if I could mess it up and it fired flawlessly. I have also fired 3 1/2 magnum BBs through it without a hickup.

These guys are all right, forums draw people who have had problems. No matter how high a quality machine or electronic device you buy, if you go to the forum for it (if the company even has one) you will see people screaming about their problems and telling everyone not to buy it or it's a piece of junk. Bottom line, the SBE II with comfortech is the best weapon I have ever owned.

Buy it, you will not be sorry.

I purchased both the SBE II and the Beretta Extrema II within the last six months. I love them both. The Beretta came with the kickoff system and it makes shooting those 3.5" monster shells a tad bit easier to handle. If I were forced to pick only one right now, it would be tough to do. Since this is the Benelli forum, I'd probably say I like the Benelli more. They have a different feel. The Benelli being more like a sleek race horse and the Beretta being more like a quarter horse. Like others have said. If you read the manual and do what they tell you to do, to condition the weapon, you should not be disappointed. The only jams or hang-ups with either gun shooting a variety of loads was with the Winchester AA trap loads. They would not cycle in the Benelli and I didn't get to try them in the Beretta. In all candor, I did not expect them to work so it wasn't/isn't an issue right now. I also found a really big difference in comfort when shooting 3" magnum loads. Felt more like a 2.75 bird shot shell....real mild.

• 4 years later...

The cycling problem your speaking of does exist with the SBE II. I just had to call Benelli about my gun. First off the customer service line is terrible, it took me three days to finally get through to a human being. Once on the phone Benelli sent me a UPS shipping label to have it mailed in. My gun is shooting the second round and ejecting it, but stove piping the thrid round with out firing the round, so basically the bolt slams shut on the thrid stoved piped round, quiet the safety issue. The bolt hit the shell so hard it almost punctured the brass casing, which could cause the round to explode in my face! Benelli wanted my gun immediatey for review. This malfunction has happend about 5-6 times shooting 3.5 shells, Blackclouds and Hypersonics. If anyone else has experienced this please let me know.