SBE jamming- spent casing eject failure

rokitmn69

I have a SBE I that has developed a bad habit of jamming. The gun fails to eject the spent casing about once every 15 rounds. Of course, the jam always seems to occur at the most inopportune times.

The gun has about 15,000 rounds through it. I keep my guns super clean, so cleanliness is NOT an issue. I had a Sure Cycle SS spring in the stock when the problem started. I started changing parts in an effort to cure the jamming problem. I've changed out the Sure Cycle SS spring back to the factory spring. Additionally, I've replaced, with new parts, the bolt's main pin, the extractor, extractor spring, ejector, and ejector spring. The problem was not solved. The jamming continues.

Anyone with an idea for a fix? Is the gun just "wore out"? It seems that the spent casing is being released from the extractor's grip too early. The spent casing is always extracted from the chamber. But the spent casing is loose in the receiver when the jam occurs, preventing the next round to be lifted/loaded. The gun can't be short cycling. It's jamming with 3" and 3 1/2" magnums, so there plenty of energy to work the action.

I'd love to hear any recommendations.

Your problem is not unheard of.

You have done more than enough to make the gun cycle.

From what I have heard, it may be a timing issue. The live shell is being released too early, and preventing proper ejection. Can't recall for sure, but it may have to do with a worn part in the trigger group.

March is a perfect time to send the gun back to Benelli for inspection.

Good luck!

I can't imagine it being an early release from the magazine that's causing the problem. I load a shell below the bolt (it holds 4 rounds that way, even with the plug in) EVERY TIME. That's the functional equivalent of an early released shell every time. The jam can occur on the first, second, or third shot.

• 5 months later...

I started this tread. I am now happy to report a solution to the problem. I figured what was happening is that the extractor, for some reason, was releasing the shell from its grip too soon. The spent casing was always pulled from the chamber, it just wasn't being thrown clear. If you look at how the ejector works, it is virtually impossible for the spent casing NOT to eject cleanly as long as the extractor holds the spent casing long enough to hit the ejector and get a little compression in the ejector's spring. I figured that SOMETHING in the gun had changed just a little so that the extractor was not taking as deep a bite into the spent casing as it used to take, causing an early release. Maybe the 15,000 rounds through the gun had something to do with it- put a little wear in some component that allowed the spent casing to move away from the extractor ever so slightly. So, I had my gun smith machine 0.010" off the inside edge of the extractor. This allows the extractor to move over, into the casing, by a little more than 0.010 inches, after you figure the difference in that' lever's length from the fulcrum. VOILA! I've run 3 boxes of shells through the gun- perfection. Before the extractor mod, the gun was bungling the extraction about one time in seven.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

can you show us in this picuture where you had the ejector milled, just to clarify. i'm having the exact same issue. thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1390[/ATTACH]

I started this tread. I am now happy to report a solution to the problem. I figured what was happening is that the extractor, for some reason, was releasing the shell from its grip too soon. The spent casing was always pulled from the chamber, it just wasn't being thrown clear. If you look at how the ejector works, it is virtually impossible for the spent casing NOT to eject cleanly as long as the extractor holds the spent casing long enough to hit the ejector and get a little compression in the ejector's spring. I figured that SOMETHING in the gun had changed just a little so that the extractor was not taking as deep a bite into the spent casing as it used to take, causing an early release. Maybe the 15,000 rounds through the gun had something to do with it- put a little wear in some component that allowed the spent casing to move away from the extractor ever so slightly. So, I had my gun smith machine 0.010" off the inside edge of the extractor. This allows the extractor to move over, into the casing, by a little more than 0.010 inches, after you figure the difference in that' lever's length from the fulcrum. VOILA! I've run 3 boxes of shells through the gun- perfection. Before the extractor mod, the gun was bungling the extraction about one time in seven.