Why I sold my M4S90...

Unobtanium

It went for $1100 + a Glock 19 w/OEM installed Trijicon Night Sights.

I sold it to help produce a down-payment for this pictured below. I ended up with about $100 more than I needed, and signed papers on the last day that the incentives were good for for the free racing school at Bob Bondurant, and the dealer cash. So it was not a sale that could be avoided in my book, even though it happened early on in the savings process, it was integral.

I think most of you will agree it was a savvy move (signing monday saved me $3K and got me $3K worth of free performance driving school):

29pb0p4.jpg

flvif6.jpg

All that said...M4 is a helluva shotgun!

Outstanding. I haven't kept up on the newer Corvettes, is that a Z06? The driving school sounds fun. Do you use your car or a loaner?

Z06. I get to shred someone else's $1800 set of tires :cool:

From what I have read, it's not some coddled roundy-round the circle experience, either. One person who went posted up that the instructors had him thrashing the car so hard he felt guilty beating on it.

Edited by Unobtanium

That was my concern! They probably have the correct safety harnesses inside as well.

Sounds like you'll actually drive it the way it was meant to be driven. Unlike 99.9% of them on the street. Think about it, when's the last time a vette passed you or got on it from the red light?

I like the color too. You're in LA (State) if I recall, who are the tint laws?

Are you going to keep it stock? Or lightly mod it?

That was my concern! They probably have the correct safety harnesses inside as well.

Sounds like you'll actually drive it the way it was meant to be driven. Unlike 99.9% of them on the street. Think about it, when's the last time a vette passed you or got on it from the red light?

I like the color too. You're in LA (State) if I recall, who are the tint laws?

Are you going to keep it stock? Or lightly mod it?

Tint laws are 40%. My daily has 20% and I have gotten (a couple days ago, actually) only 1 ticket in it in the past 8 months of owning it that way.

I plan on 30% in the Z as I do drive at night a good bit.

I can only imagine how much my insurance company will hate me if I have a fender bender in this thing.

There was a MINOR flaw in one fender. The plant in Bowling Green is getting me a new fender ASAP before I pick the car up (which is why the pix are still on the showroom floor).

Those fenders NORMALLY come UNpainted (they are sending one fully painted/dressed), and retails for $1776. Each. The emblem is around $200. Then install and paint matching. That means that a front-end in this car is going to START at 6-8K + paint and labor.

I have to admit I am probably going to drive it rather gingerly through the corners, but a straight-line blast now and then should prove fun. These cars will break the tires loose on the 3rd gear shift at 120, though, if you aren't careful. They only weigh 3100 and change and are putting down roughly 440hp and similar torque. The 325's out back are sticky and big, but physics is physics. I learned my lesson about thinking you are the master of something like this back when I was in highschool and drove something much slower (and cheaper).

_________

As to mods, GM is a GREAT company, but they WILL void a warranty so fast it will make your head spin if you mod. Car will remain stock except for the Venture Shield Ultra clear bra I had put on, and the window tint (Going with a 3M or F1 Ceramic). There is always someone faster out there, but 0-150mph in 17.5 seconds...not many (verified 1/4 mile time record for a 100% stock Z06 down to the OEM tires is in the high 10's). Especially getting 24mpg cruising listening to the stereo with the AC on. I am content stock.

Warranty is 5/100 powertrain and 7/70 bumper to bumper. That's a lot to throw away for a few horses.

Part of me wants to moth-ball the car, and drive it only a few K each year. I highly doubt we are going to see very many 427ci V8 American cars, and while I didn't buy this for a monetary investement, I did buy it as an emotional one. I am afraid it is one of the very last of its kind.

I will probably buy a C5 FRC or something in the next few years and make it a track slut. Kinda wanting to keep this one "pretty" because of the above. You can't truly drive a car like it was meant to be driven if you are worried about keeping it pretty.

_______

If you EVER! Buy a corvette, take the Buyer's Tour of the plant. You will be suprised who you meet. My dealer was having a bit of a slow time getting that fully painted Fender out of Bowling Green. I made a phone call and 3 hours later the plant manager called my dealer while holding a freshly painted, fully dressed fender in his hand and asked where it needed to be shipped, and how it would get there fastest. I know it is popular to bash on GM and call them "Government Motors" and all that crap, but they have treated some 25 year old guy who's daddy isn't Jay Leno, as though he was royalty, and I am here to tell you that I am a GM customer for life because of that experience. Period.

Edited by Unobtanium

Unobtanium,

While I am very into shotguns (obviously), I also believe that you need to live your dream and life to the fullest! If that means purchasing a GREAT car like that, my hat is off to you! Enjoy the ride!

GTPSC

www.blackborechokes.com

Thanks! I have lusted after the Z06/Viper cars since I was in highschool, and promised I would buy myself one as a graduation present a year out. They killed the Viper, and the Vette was a little more "livable" and 99% of the performance while only 80% of the cost. Better warranty and in current production.

I made my dream come true :D

Great car love the white.

30 more thousand and you could of had a ZR1:p

I already did the "For another..." with the base C6, then the Grand Sport, and ended up in the Z06.

“A vision without action is just a dream. Action without a vision is a nightmare.”

I had to have a bit of vision here, or I would have created a financial nightmare, lol!

You Should put some custom Meprolights on it and see if Kip can make you some Titanium side mirrors !:D

It already has forged titanium aerospace alloy connecting rods, pushrods, valve-springs, retainers, intake valves, and magnesium engine cradle and suspension components, along with carbon fiber fenders. :D

Quite a collection of semi-exotic materials.

Edited by Unobtanium

The first roll out of the driveway of the stealership is going to feel great. Good plan to leave it stock until the waranty is gone. The trouble usually becomes you weigh the price and the payments and you consider rolling into a newer car in 3 or 4 years to retain a vehicle with a warranty and to fight the downward trend of depreciation.

Being potentially the end of the line of the 427's, it may hold it's value very well.

Hopefully you're keeping a beater car, and keep the long boring miles off of this prize. Not something I'd want to leave in the parking lot of Walmart.

You should have went with black, it's easier to see yourself in the paint reflection (if it's clean).

I can just see it now ... you hopping out of your Z06 in your scrubs, flexing and admiring yourself in your car's paint, then chanting "I'm a man's man! I'm a man's man!" as you take your place (as the sole male) amongst your 23439204328 female coworkers. :D

You're keeping the Nissan, right?

You should have went with black, it's easier to see yourself in the paint reflection (if it's clean).

I can just see it now ... you hopping out of your Z06 in your scrubs, flexing and admiring yourself in your car's paint, then chanting "I'm a man's man! I'm a man's man!" as you take your place (as the sole male) amongst your 23439204328 female coworkers. :D

You're keeping the Nissan, right?

Yeah, Nissan will pull DD.

Actually, my unit is only 70/30 female, and the SICU I float to is about 50/50.

The first roll out of the driveway of the stealership is going to feel great. Good plan to leave it stock until the waranty is gone. The trouble usually becomes you weigh the price and the payments and you consider rolling into a newer car in 3 or 4 years to retain a vehicle with a warranty and to fight the downward trend of depreciation.

Being potentially the end of the line of the 427's, it may hold it's value very well.

Hopefully you're keeping a beater car, and keep the long boring miles off of this prize. Not something I'd want to leave in the parking lot of Walmart.

These cars seem to take the hit all at once and then stabalize in depreciation.

It has a 7/70 bumper to bumper and a 5/100 powertrain.You're right, though, when those edge close to an end, I may worry.

Black is great if;

1. You drive and store it in the Intel cleanroom.

2. Love washing cars.

They look great when clean. But Terrible when even slightly dirty.

Just glad you didn't get midlife crisis red.

So when you go to chi-com mart, have you decided to park at the far side of the lot in the ort cloud and risk the run away carts, or park in with the heard and risk the flung open doors, people squeezing by rubbing their belt buckle down the side, touching your windows trying to see inside and close range shopping cart attacks.

This is the part of owning a new car that I disliked. I had someone torpedo my truck that's coated almost entirely in Line-x with a cart. I think it did more damage to the cart.

They're repainting the entire front end right? Just doing the fender probably won't match.

:p @ 1600 fps with slugs. . . . BUT. . . you'll go a lot lot further!!!

NICE RIDE!! I agree with the others, it looks very clean and sweet in white!

That must just handle like a go-kart, in the sense that , it must not have much body-roll!?? Post up some pics of your driving school too!!

Congrats!!

2-Wheel

Black is great if;

1. You drive and store it in the Intel cleanroom.

2. Love washing cars.

They look great when clean. But Terrible when even slightly dirty.

Just glad you didn't get midlife crisis red.

So when you go to chi-com mart, have you decided to park at the far side of the lot in the ort cloud and risk the run away carts, or park in with the heard and risk the flung open doors, people squeezing by rubbing their belt buckle down the side, touching your windows trying to see inside and close range shopping cart attacks.

This is the part of owning a new car that I disliked. I had someone torpedo my truck that's coated almost entirely in Line-x with a cart. I think it did more damage to the cart.

They're repainting the entire front end right? Just doing the fender probably won't match.

The new fender is factory painted. They swap stuff like that all the time at the plant and it always matches.

• 3 months later...

Unobtanium,

If you're a Vette enthusiast, and it sounds like you are, you really must go to Bowling Green (if that is still where Vettes are manufactured). I went for a factory tour about 10 years ago and it is amazing, you would really enjoy it. IIRC, at that time they were running 24 hours/day and assembled something like 48 Vettes/day. At the end of the production line it was very interesting to see them drive the car to the dyno station and run it up to speed, and test it for leaks under the pressurized shower machine. It was also very cool to see the display room where they keep the cars that people have paid extra for to pick up at the factory...they put a special plaque on the dash to commemorate it.

It really was a very interesting tour and if they're still doing it I'm sure that you would enjoy it very much.

I've owned a silver-blue 82 (my favorite), an 86 that I had customized, an anniversary 88 and a 98. I think that the 80-82 body style (long body) is the best looking of all. Back then, the 82 interior was very cheap-looking with much plastic, but since the late 90s GM has really done a fantastic job IMO of dressing up the interior. Bottom line is that for the money, it's hard to beat a Vette for the dollar:horsepower:fun factor ratio.

Enjoy your ZO6...it is a beautiful vehicle. BTW, I give you one month before you get your first speeding ticket. :)

Unobtanium,

If you're a Vette enthusiast, and it sounds like you are, you really must go to Bowling Green (if that is still where Vettes are manufactured). I went for a factory tour about 10 years ago and it is amazing, you would really enjoy it. IIRC, at that time they were running 24 hours/day and assembled something like 48 Vettes/day. At the end of the production line it was very interesting to see them drive the car to the dyno station and run it up to speed, and test it for leaks under the pressurized shower machine. It was also very cool to see the display room where they keep the cars that people have paid extra for to pick up at the factory...they put a special plaque on the dash to commemorate it.

It really was a very interesting tour and if they're still doing it I'm sure that you would enjoy it very much.

I've owned a silver-blue 82 (my favorite), an 86 that I had customized, an anniversary 88 and a 98. I think that the 80-82 body style (long body) is the best looking of all. Back then, the 82 interior was very cheap-looking with much plastic, but since the late 90s GM has really done a fantastic job IMO of dressing up the interior. Bottom line is that for the money, it's hard to beat a Vette for the dollar:horsepower:fun factor ratio.

Enjoy your ZO6...it is a beautiful vehicle. BTW, I give you one month before you get your first speeding ticket. :)

Thanks! Owned since Feb. and no tickets.2900 miles so far. watched them build it in bowling green. had a great time up there !

Unobtainium,

This is completely off-topic but I actually posted some nice conciliatory comments on my 'for sale' thread, and ironically find that it has now been deleted. I mention this only because I do appreciate the fact that I learned from you that the M4 luminous sights are in fact OEM and that Beretta does the assembling of Benelli's LE models, as you said. So you were correct about that and I appreciate it.

I also wanted to let you know exactly what my profit margin was, although I'm sure it will be viewed as gouging by some - after shipping and transfer fees I paid almost exactly $1700 total for each of my LE M4s. Thus, mathematics being what it is, I hoped to make about $1000 profit (allowing about $100 for packaging/shipping/insurance).

I just wanted to lay it out there for you. Hopefully in the future you and others will assume that I'm posting in good faith, never with the intention to lie or mislead anyone. I don't live my life that way.

Thus ends the digression on your thread.

Have a terrific day.

Unobtainium,

This is completely off-topic but I actually posted some nice conciliatory comments on my 'for sale' thread, and ironically find that it has now been deleted. I mention this only because I do appreciate the fact that I learned from you that the M4 luminous sights are in fact OEM and that Beretta does the assembling of Benelli's LE models, as you said. So you were correct about that and I appreciate it.

I also wanted to let you know exactly what my profit margin was, although I'm sure it will be viewed as gouging by some - after shipping and transfer fees I paid almost exactly $1700 total for each of my LE M4s. Thus, mathematics being what it is, I hoped to make about $1000 profit (allowing about $100 for packaging/shipping/insurance).

I just wanted to lay it out there for you. Hopefully in the future you and others will assume that I'm posting in good faith, never with the intention to lie or mislead anyone. I don't live my life that way.

Thus ends the digression on your thread.

Have a terrific day.

Quoted for posterity.