SNovaTac

This might be the wrong forum to ask this question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm thinking of purchasing a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first handgun. Any thoughts?

I've looked at a Springfield XD, a Beretta PX4, and shot a Glock 17. The XD felt too small in my hands. The Glock shot great but I just didn't like something about it. I like the PX4 quite a bit (as well as the 92 which I realize is a different class of handgun) but I keep coming back to the M&P because of how it fits in my hands and the price.

Also, is it worth spending the extra money to get a Pro series M&P? Thanks in advance for the help.

M&P's are surprisingly good. I wasn't much of a S&W semi auto fan until it was released. For the XD line, you might want to try the XDm model. It has interchangeable backstraps. They have two different barrel lengths depending on what your purpose is for the pistol.

You might want to handle the Gen 4 Glock 19 as well. It's a bit smaller, and one of the revisions also has interchangeable backstraps.

I had a PX4 before. Great reliable pistol. Very comfortable. Just hated the trigger.

Which one is best is simply an opinion. All are great pistols. I personally carry a XDm in 9mm with a Surefire X400 on it.

XDm fits my hands better. The M&P Pro series pistols have fantastic triggers, so I won't disparage them; the grip just didn't feel right to me. Ultimately, you're going to feel good about the pistol as long as it is reliable, accurate (enough) and comfortable to shoot. You're not going to shoot it if it isn't comfortable to do so, so just pick what feels right to you.

This might be the wrong forum to ask this question, but I'll ask anyway. I'm thinking of purchasing a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm as my first handgun. Any thoughts?

I've looked at a Springfield XD, a Beretta PX4, and shot a Glock 17. The XD felt too small in my hands. The Glock shot great but I just didn't like something about it. I like the PX4 quite a bit (as well as the 92 which I realize is a different class of handgun) but I keep coming back to the M&P because of how it fits in my hands and the price.

Also, is it worth spending the extra money to get a Pro series M&P? Thanks in advance for the help.

You may want to consider getting a 40 cal of this weapon in doing so, you just buy a 9mm barrel and mags you have 2 weapons for the price of one! Also go with the PRO when you look at the difference between the M&P and M&P Pro you gain with a longer barrel and other options.

M&P, Glock, and XD's are all great guns. Personal preference is key here. Its like asking whats better Coke or Pepsi or Mtn. Dew (personal favorite). I have owned all 3 brands. M&P 9mm, Glock 19, and a XDm 9. Right now I only have one a g19... so thats my vote.

The 17 is a classic, you can't go wrong. The M&P is a great gun, unless I was gonna' shoot IDPA/IPSCA or race the gun, I wouldn't go for the pro. The full size is an excellent overall size. I prefer the G19 size for general purpose.

I'd leave the 40 for the gangsters/rappers.

This may or may not be something you need to consider:

Another thing to consider is if you plan on mounting a weapon light. That can dictate what barrel/slide length to get. There is no purpose to get a short barreled pistol if you plan on mounting a weapon light on it that protrudes several inches past the barrel.

Something to keep in mind, once you remove your magazine the firearm is rendered useless!

Let's say your defending your life or the life of your family, you go to swap out to a full mag, leaving one round in the chamber just incase you need to pull the trigger on this BG. Once you remove your magazine, your striker will NOT fall. No Trigger function.

I would say, stay away from the M&P for self-defense use. Target practice is fine.

The M&P9 with 17+1 capacity makes an excellent defensive pistol and is especially good at home at night when you probably don't have a spare magazine pouch on your pajamas. The trigger can be improved from good to excellent with some Ace (brand) drop in parts and springs.

Magazine safety? What magazine safety? This isn't standard.

Unless you specifically buy the pistol with this "feature" it ain't there. Same for the frame safety. Either or both are removed in maybe 10 minutes time if you got the wrong pistol.

49806457-IMG_2010_12_12_0541_c.JPG

-- Chuck

Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification Chuck S.

What should have been stated is "Your M&P pistol MAY be equipped with a magazine disconnect which prevents the pistol from firing when the magazine is removed from the pistol.

I do agree with your choice of an H&K USP. The H&K USP's and the Sig Sauer P220, P229 & P226 are the only two pistols manufacturers out of seven that passed the DHS (Defense of Homeland Security) stringent requirement. That requirement being, they lodge a bullet in the barrel, creating a squib load. Firing a live round behind it, clearing the barrel and able to continue placing accurate shots down range, without impregnation / bulging / or damage to the barrel or frame.

As others have stated, get what fits your hand. All are popular enough you may just find someone at a range near you that you can run a magazine through. Perhaps you even have the option to go to a gunstore/range that rents?

I personally am partial to Glock. Does that mean it's the best gun? NO! To me, it is. Do S&W, Springfield, Sig, H&K make good guns? YOU BET!!!

Go with fit. Kinda like buying a pair of boots. Does Red Wing make a way better boot than Danner or vice versa? not really, but which fits your feet better?

I like most everything about the M&P BUT the trigger. I don't like the reset of the trigger as I think it feels really numb and dull. Ergos, equipment, options, sights - I like on the M&P.

Good luck!!

Nothing wrong with the M&P, run Glock myself.......wife has a M&P in a 9c. I like the interchangeable back straps, and the other options they offer as options such as the mag safety, thumb safety, ambidextrous mag release etc.....the only reason I pick the Glock is because prefer the feel of them.

Thanks for all the comments. I would like to participate in IDPA matches as there is a local range that facilitates the matches. Think the Pro Series is worth getting for that? Would it be better to just purchase a regular M&P, shoot the heck out of it and then look into an aftermarket trigger and/or sights? Thanks for the pics chuck_s!