Spring Compression

Lakotah

How long can you keep the Benelli M4 w/wolf spring and Full length tube fully loaded before the spring becomes compromised?

I keep it in the patrol car during the week and download it on my friday after duty. Was wondering if I could keep it loaded longer.

Just curious. Thanks in advance,

I put 10,000 rounds on the factory one. I always kept it fully loaded. When I bought Kip's tube, it came with the Wolff upgraded spring. I've had it almost 2 years now, and have left it loaded all the time.

Most springs wear out due to compression/decompression cycles. This is assuming that the spring isn't over compressed. I don't believe this is an issue with the magazine spring because it is self limiting on how far it can compress.

So unloading it on Friday may contribute to it's demise eventually.

During practice, you'll notice that the last round in the tube to load may start to experience failures to feed. This is a sign that the spring may need to be replaced.

How long can you keep the Benelli M4 w/wolf spring and Full length tube fully loaded before the spring becomes compromised?

I keep it in the patrol car during the week and download it on my friday after duty. Was wondering if I could keep it loaded longer.

Just curious. Thanks in advance,

We keep the magazines of our shotguns in our patrol cars loaded all year long. We replace the ammo annual at inservice training, when we re-qualify with them again, and shoot up all the old ammo. I've seen this for the last five years with the same shotguns, with no failures yet. We do not store ammo in the Speedfeed stocks though, as it pops the recoil pad off.

Typically its not compressing the spring that wears it out, it's cycling the spring and these days any high quality magazine spring should be able to take thousands of cycles if not more.

Leaving mags loaded be it shotgun, rifle, or handgun should not damage the spring if it's of good quality. I can say that both the wolf and carriercomp springs are nicer than the factory benelli ones.

One way to "judge" spring quality is if you take a mag spring and bend it over it (this happens frequently when people are trying to get them compressed into the gun/mag but they slip out). The spring should go back to strait, but lower quality springs will show a bend in them.

That said I've seen even poor quality factory springs last of years of being fully loaded and cycled. It's cheap insurance though to replace it with a better quality version IMO.