What are the chances the ATF study grows legs????

cartman308

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

I don't know if this has been discussed here before. If it has I apologize. I've read through some of it and it's very ambiguous to say the least....... One section gives you a feeling that nothing will change and another section will mare you want to run out and buy an M4.....

I'm asking because I know where a new M4 is and they said they wouldcome off the 1699 they are askin for it. Ive been searching for a decent 4x4 truck but haven't had any luck. I ran across the M4 and I've been drooling over it ever since. Last ear I tried to trade of a semi custom savage rifle for one but had no takers. I've been wanting a combat shotgun for awhile with the M4 at the top of my list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So what say y'all?!?!?!! Should I buy the M4 with the possibility of the ATF banning it's import or is it lretty safe to say they will be continually imported and go on looking for a decent truck???????

The M4 has two things going against it in the study.

(1) it can hold more than 5 rounds of Aguilia MiniShells, but there is probably not the political weight around to ban its import based on that.

(2) it was initially designed for military or tactical applications. To overcome the second issue requires evidence that it is 'regularly used by sportsman and is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes' (per the ATF study). That second condition could block the import of the M4. I would suspect that the M4 will be continued to be allowed to be imported (for various reasons) but I also suspect that there is a reasonable chance than any import shotgun that was a military/tactical design that was converted back into a military/tactical condition will be declared a destructive device.

Like all ATF issues it's very hard to say. The bottom line is you can read 1000 of these posts, those that know aren't saying and those that don't know are just 100% guessing.

Personally I get the feeling that the M4 isn't that big of a concern to the ATF. They are MUCH more concerned with some of the higher firepower, magazine setups that are either already being imported (saiga) or may be soon (MKA 1919, and others etc.). I also personally think that whatever they decide, companies will find a way to still import guns, they did it in 94' and they did it with the M4 and Saiga it's the reason they are imported in the form they are.

I really think they are going to try and go after the detachable magazines and drum magazine shotguns and accessories. The M4 is no more destructive (in fact less so) than a 28" benelli with a 12 shot mag extension. However a saiga with a few 20 round drums is a force to behold. These mall ninja idiots posting videos on you tube of their saigas and 20 round mags destroying things on the internet isn't helping either.

The 5 round thing is a joke, if they do that, almost EVERY imported semi-pump shotgun currently available would be banned, never going to happen. They could play the destructive device avenue but if they do that, most likely you'll still be able to buy an M4 in it's current imported state, you'd just have to register it if you wanted to modify it, most likely current owners would have to do the same, so if they go that way it still would not keep you from purchasing one down the road nor is it any advantage to purchase it now.

It's all conjecture, if you want to be safe, buy now, waiting is always a risk. When 2008 happened people went into massive paranoia and ammo, mags etc. were impossible to get for almost 18 months.....what gun control came of that MASSIVE hysteria.....nothing. All it does was screw gun owners into paying huge prices and not being able to enjoy shooting because you couldn't find or afford ammo. We are our own worst enemy with this crap.

Of course in 1994 no one really thought that the AWB would be passed either, and it was, so if there's any moral to the story it's that you just never know, and if you can, buying while you can is always better than waiting.

That said a vehicle is much more important than a shotgun to your everyday life. If it's the choice between having a truck and a shotgun I'll take the truck.

Thanks for the input guys!

On the truck. Its not even close to a necessity, just a nicety I guess. I would like a second vehicle that gets better fuel mileage and more useful than the full size SUV.......

The thing that concerned me the most on the study was the ATF was considering "advetising" I believe is what they said. Or maybe marketing. Either way the M4 is marketed strictly as a combat/defense weapon. I fearthat it may fall victim to a "compromise" between the leftist and right if it come to some sort of negotiation. On top of that, Eric Holder has the final say and I dont trust him any more than I trust my mother-in-law..........

I think I may bite the bullet and scoop uo the M4. It doesnt seem like to bad a deal. The lowest I see new ones on guns America is 1695. They said they would come down on their askin price of $1699 but not much.

I just have the bug for an M4 and I need to smash it. With my luck, if I wait, it will be banned........

Thanks for the input guys!

On the truck. Its not even close to a necessity, just a nicety I guess. I would like a second vehicle that gets better fuel mileage and more useful than the full size SUV.......

The thing that concerned me the most on the study was the ATF was considering "advetising" I believe is what they said. Or maybe marketing. Either way the M4 is marketed strictly as a combat/defense weapon. I fearthat it may fall victim to a "compromise" between the leftist and right if it come to some sort of negotiation. On top of that, Eric Holder has the final say and I dont trust him any more than I trust my mother-in-law..........

I think I may bite the bullet and scoop uo the M4. It doesnt seem like to bad a deal. The lowest I see new ones on guns America is 1695. They said they would come down on their askin price of $1699 but not much.

I just have the bug for an M4 and I need to smash it. With my luck, if I wait, it will be banned........

Check out "gunguyonline dot com." (I can't post links due to low post count). He has new M4's for less than $1300 brand new. I got mine from them with a discount from a guy on another board for $1210. $1695 is way too high. Henderson Defense (hendersondefense dot cm) also sells them for $1525, but they're out of stock right now.

id buy some mags you need and other accesories..no need to get a gun at this time..i have accesories for guns i dont even own..i remember 1994...cmags went from a few hundered to 800 in a weeks time..3 buck ar15 mags jumped to 40...1022 mags for 50 and up...far as saiga..forget it..last year they have been crap with quality issues due to financial problems at the factory..and avoid any saiga with last round bolt hold open..been hearing the last batch is really problematic....yes i agree totally we did this too ourselves with the idiots on youtube posting vids of drum mag drops and other stuff....what i bought in last month was a m4 CC stock (no gotta m4)..new m4 tube from numrich for m4 (again no m4)...lotta tapco and bulgarian mags..goin buy pro mag 12 rounder for the saiga and another 20 rounder for the saiga from mdarms...been 3 years since i bought a gun and really have enjoyed all the crazy crap the last 3 or so years while i just sit around and am totally content..its real fun just watching this stuff knowing your set...been looking for an old scout to drive so you can see i dont need any more gun stuff..its all hedging my bet right now and making cash selling low dollar stuff to the crazys when the ban does come (again i go back to 1994)...

ps: im ordering me a titanium tube from that guy here cause i paid 40 bucks for my benelli tubes years ago and now the nuts ask 300 for em..way i figure the tubes get banned that titanium tube should fetch me 500 bucks (again no m4)

ps: already up $75 bucks on the collapseable stock and thank you guys for putting me on to the best shipper and trustworthy guy i have ever encoutered on any gun board...tube guy you guys know seems like another guy you can actually trust..trust..its very rare anymore..thanks guys..glad i joined here..its refreshing reading common sense posts and no fluff junk

Edited by snooter