Please help me pick out a shotgun

Goodgirlfriend

Dear readers,

My boyfriends birthday is coming up and I would like to invest in a Benelli for him. He loves guns, but does not hunt. He enjoys the tactical side of shooting. A couple of his favorite guns he now owns are his Wilson Combat and Ed Brown. I am looking to get him something to keep us safe, but also a shotgun that he can play with and enjoy. I don't know a whole lot about guns, so I am looking to you guys to help point me in the right direction. I don't mind spending some money, but would like to

Keep it under $1500.

Thanks for your help!

Guest Digital

Hi there , you can decide yourself by going thegunsource.com there are many guns choose from. I hope this will help you to make your selection.

Thanks

The ultimate tactical shotgun for Benelli is the M4. I got mine for 1500 even after tax. You'd have to shop around to get that price but I've seen them for as low as 1400 plus shipping and FFL fee. Price may have gone up since then though.

And tactical almost always means black, but camo is cool too.

By the way, your boyfriend is a lucky SOB. Most girlfriends/wives would complain about the gun and here you are getting it for him. You get Best Girlfriend in the World prize in my book!

G.G.F.,

WOW. . . what an appropriate name!! Got a sister!? ;) Sorry, ya had to see that coming! And a B/F- G/F nonetheless. Ahhh, I remember when my wife(then G/F, used to do things like that for me!) Anyway, on to business. . .

At the $1500 mark you're very close to a Benelli M4. If your B/F is going to hang many accessories off of it and make it mall-ninja like ( mine is, I don't care, it's just plain fun!) then the M4 would be good.

However, if he just wants to throw 12gauge rounds down range to blow up water jugs, let out some pent-up aggression from a stressful day at work, show a cool gun to his friends (giving you FULL credit of course for the coolness!) then the Benelli M2 will serve him very VERY well.

M4 - $1450 - $1650, depending on where.

M2 - depends on grip/stock configuration, $1050 - $1250

I'm guessing you've gone to the benelli website to see the models?

http://www.benelliusa.com/

The M2 tactical link here:

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m2_tactical.php

and the M4 link here:

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m4.php

I like the camo paint but own black. It's much easier to match one color than multiple in the event of chips/dings/scratches. Just my $0.02 though.

Given your price point, I would lean towards the M2, and any "extra" money used towards a carrying case, some ammo and maybe a range membership. Either one will *NOT* let you down!!

The way these absorb recoil, you'll have fun shooting it too. There's something about shooting shotguns that just brings out the grins and giggles in a grown man, and a evil-sinister-smirk in many woman! :p

Best of luck, keep us posted on the progress!! Especially photos!

2-wheel

Your best bet would be to give a gift certificate from a well-stocked gun dealer and let him choose what he wants.

A gun is a very personal choice item, and although your intentions are admirable, you could easily pick out something that he thinks totally sucks.

If you've never heard him mention a particular model or brand of tactical shotgun, then I'd recommend the gift certificate.

Well Tucker's advice is good and also saves some FFL hassles. Of course, if you're willing to take ownership and transfer it to him later it wouldn't be a big deal.

Gift certs aren't an exciting gift. I bet you don't like getting them either. Why not buy an M2 or M4 from a shop that will allow a no hassle exchange? Then he has something tangible to open. You can make it clear that your feelings won't be hurt if he'd like to opt for something else. This way you get the GGF kudos for actually going to the effort and research to get something nice. That would almost make me feel better than the present itself. What he eventually selects isn't that big a deal then.

I'm also a big fan and owner of Ed Brown and Wilson Combat pistols. I'm assuming we're talking 1911s in 45 ACP? Yes or no, he obviously leans toward top-shelf firearms so you're in the right place to solicit suggestions. He ever express interest in skeet, trap or anything else where all that gets "killed" is a clay pigeon? Just another option.

Good luck !! Please be sure to stop back and let us know how it all turned out.

Keep it simple. Ask him why he doesn't have a shotgun. Good chance he'll tip his hand on what he's jonesin for, and there ya go. No mussin with Gift certificates, returns, guessing, regretting outside speculation. Bonus is you can have him along for the delivery and avoid the transfer dilema too. He'll fondly remember the day you tricked him into being a gent, and going to the "store" with you.

In "the woman's guide to being a fine girlfriend" it states: "when shopping for a shotgun for your boyfriend you can do one of two things 1. You can buy him a Benelli M4 or 2. You can buy him something else.

It sounds to me like he appreciates fine guns (Wilson Combat, Ed Brown). He also likes tactical. You CANNOT go wrong with a Benelli M4.

All,

You have been so helpful. I am leaning more toward the M2, just because I feel like it would be "enough" gun for him, would be fun for me to shoot also, and it seems like it would require a little less maintenance. What is the real difference between the M2 and the M4?

A gift certificate is not an option, as I think it would have so much more meaning to him that I picked it out. Neither gun is a poor choice and I don't see him bring disappointed with the outcome either way.

Dirtyb762 - I don't think my generous gift will warrent me a ring, I'm afraid. Maybe in a couple years. :)

Keep up with the good replies!

Personally, though I'm a guy, I think a gift certificate is a wonderful idea...it would be especially thoughtful to include a Benelli video and/or a product brochure from the his favorite gun shop/Benelli dealer. It would still mean a Benelli as a gift and would be very respectful of you to allow him, your knowledgeable gun guy, to pick the model of his choice...a win, win for both of you.

I really would suggest that if you like the M2, which is a very good choice by the way, DO NOT get it in a tactical configuration. Get the black synthetic M2 with the ComforTech and a 26" barrel or the M2 American with a standard stock configuration which is generally priced $200-$300 below the Comfortech models. I've seen them on GunBroker.com and elsewhere for as low as $899 and would also leave some room for him to purchase a steady grip stock as an option for his tactical shooting. That way, he and yourself could also shoot clays or game if you like and still be able to add on to it for home defense.

Lastly, if he is commited to tactical only, then buy the tactical model.

Either decision you make will be a good one and I hope you both enjoy your new Benelli as much as the rest of us do. Myself, I'm a Benelli lifer.

Edited by hattles

What is the real difference between the M2 and the M4?

About $400. ;)

In short The M4 is a gas operated system, the M2 has an inertia operating system. What does that mean?

The M4 can shoot almost any load(within reason) no matter how powerful or not the load is. AND, the M4 can be loaded up to the mall ninja extent, and it won't effect how it operates. (continue reading to understand.)

The M2 is an inertia system. If one hangs too much stuff on an M2, the gun obviously weighs more and the slower it will recoil. The M2 has springs inside the bolt that operate at at a certain rate of recoil. IF the gun is too heavy, it can malfunction. So, people that are going to install optics, side saddles, weapon lights, quad rails, etc. generally don't do that to an M2.

Here is my M4 with a "few" accessories. Hey guys. . correct me if I'm wrong, please, I'm not too big for that, but if one did this to an M2, it may malfunction because of the weight?

BenLeft.jpg

With the M2, you can put a magazine tube on it to increase capacity to 7+1 vs the factory 5+1.

The idea one gave of getting a comfort-tech stock on a 26" barrel model isn't a bad idea either! That way it would be tactical-ish black, useful for sporting games, still comfy to shoot and still lots of (pardon the pun) BANG for the buck!

If you post your lcity/state, someone here may be able to direct you to a friendly and helpful gun store, unless you already have that.

Best of luck!!

2-wheel

Every man's shotgun dream is the M4 and if you don't know it yet, I suspect your boyfriend is no different. That's if he knows his shotguns of course. If hunting is not his forte, the M4 is what he will get later if you get him the M2 now. You will blow his mind with the M4 if he knows anything about guns, If he knows his Benellis, he will be dissapointed you did not get the M4 but won't show it. He will pretend to be happy with the M2. The M2 is a good gun, but the real tactical king is the M4.;)

Every man's shotgun dream is the M4 and if you don't know it yet, I suspect your boyfriend is no different. That's if he knows his shotguns of course. If hunting is not his forte, the M4 is what he will get later if you get him the M2 now. You will blow his mind with the M4 if he knows anything about guns, If he knows his Benellis, he will be dissapointed you did not get the M4 but won't show it. He will pretend to be happy with the M2. The M2 is a good gun, but the real tactical king is the M4.;)

Agreed. Jonesbb speaks the truth