flat rib sbe

chop123

I was at the gun shop today and they had two old model sbes with the flat ribs,they were pretty beat up but actions were smooth as silk,blueing gone stocks dinged and scratched,asking $599 for one $699 for other, good prices or not,what problems did these older models have?

I was at the gun shop today and they had two old model sbes with the flat ribs,they were pretty beat up but actions were smooth as silk,blueing gone stocks dinged and scratched,asking $599 for one $699 for other, good prices or not,what problems did these older models have?

Prices are in line. You can refinish the stock and forearm for the price of materials and a checkering tool and I would suggest refinishing the barrel and reciever in Dura Coat which you can either do yourself or send out which would cost approx $125 for one color or $225 + for a camo finish and I believe that would include the stock and forearm. I used Jim's Gun Supply out of Wisconsin to refinish my HK SBE barrel and my Sig P226 slide which cost me $75+s/h. I was extremely pleased with the work and found them using internet search.

Edited by hattles

The earliest SBE's had wood stocks which tended to crack after being subjected to the repeated pounding of 3.5" loads, especially the 2.25oz. lead turkey loads. The original wood stock on my '91 SBE cracked while laying on the ground shooting straight up at geese in Wharton, Texas during the first year of use. To their credit, HK/Benelli replaced the original wood stock/forearm of my early SBE with the then-new platic stock/forearm at no charge. The early SBE barrels/sights were also not regulated correctly and did not pattern to POA (point-of-aim). I bought (5) of the first SBEs available in 1991 for my hunting group. We used them as all-around shotguns starting the hunting season off with a week of white-wing shooting in old Mexico followed by dozens of combination duck/goose hunts every year. My SBE has fired in excess of 100 cases of the dirty-burning Mexican-made Remington shotshells yet shows very little wear. At the end of the day after shooting a case in the morning and a case in the afternoon, you could literally dump unburned flake powder which looked like Unique out of the breech of your shotgun. The SBE shotguns gave us no trouble once the wood stocks were replaced with plastic. I just bought an SBEII turkey gun after having used the original SBE for 20 years hunting whitetail, rattle snakes, beavers, squirrels, rabbits, doves, ducks, geese, turkeys, bobcats, coyotes, etc. All SBEs/SBEIIs I have dealt with have been great shotguns.

Early first-generation 1991 model HK/Benelli 3 1/2" 12ga. SBE with wood stock/forearm 20 years ago with 19lb. gobbler/9" beard dropped dead-as-a-stone @50yds. in Port Gibson, MS. I have filled my freezer year-in/year-out since 1991 with game killed with this shotgun:

1991turkeyhunt.jpg

Edited by leid

Nice Jeep!

1953 U.S. M38A1. I did the frame-off restoration with upgrades myself back in the '70s. With its 5:38 gearing in 4WD/low range, it was capable of climbing up tree trunks. Lots of fun!

Edited by leid