Tactical mods for my m1s90

So far, I like my Benelli much more than pistols. Feels more natural shooting it. I made some performance mods. My goal is to make the best home defense shotgun. Keeping it light, reliable, and maneuverable is a must. Am I missing something to improve the performance? What does everyone thInk? Thanks

M1S90 tactical mods

Done already

•C-Mod Welded lift carrier

•Super90 practical bolt handle

•Meprolight Ghost Ring tritium sights

•Boresight furniture stippling

Near future mods

•Practical bolt release button

•Weapon light

•Aluminum follower in Red

•Myself: Plan to take tactical shotgun classes soon. Most important mod as I am new to shotgunning.

Federal LE-132 shells

Winchester Ranger Slugs

Check the date on your M1 as the early ones pre-date 922r import restrictions. To the best of my limited knowledge, 1989 "AU" & prior PROOF codes are normally exempt from 922r import restrictions. A 1990 "AZ" PROOF code with documentation such as a bill of sale that it entered the U.S. prior to November 30, 1990 is also normally exempt. By "normally", I mean a shotgun which was produced by Benelli and directly imported by HK/Benelli into the U.S. But if required, 922r compliance with a Benelli M1/M2 is very easy; much easier than the Benelli M4 but I do own both M2 & M4 as well as other model Benelli shotguns. The Benelli M4 has its application as does the Benelli tactical M1/M2. The factory original Benelli extension tube is vintage '91 and has been verified to fit the M1/M2/SBE/SBEII (probably the M3 but I do not have one to try it on). Surefire USA made 200 lumen 617LM M1/M2 forend and USA made magazine follower= 922r compliance on a Benelli M1/M2. I needed a weapon's light for a Home Defense/Bear Defense in Alaska shotgun anyway and the USA made magazine follower is about $20. If you require a red magazine follower for range safety, Brownells offers red anodized USA made followers for both 3" & 3.5" Benelli shotguns: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20384/Product/SHOTGUN_FOLLOWERS. This rig is simple, fairly light, extremely well balanced, very functional, & 922r compliant. I added a Dave's steel enlarged bolt handle but am still waiting on a very interesting design extended bolt release. When finished, I would think this M2 to be about the ultimate HD/BD weapon for my particular uses. I am a firm believer in the KISS principle: fuction before beauty. I can greet bad guy(s) at the door with a select-fire COLT M16/M4 loaded with MK 262 MOD 1 ammunition but a Benelli M1/M2 with a weapons light loaded with Federal Flitecontrol 00 Buckshot is better suited to the task IMO. Bears rate as many Black Magic slugs as I can put into them to end a DLP encounter but I very much hope I never have to go there. I have no problem saying I fear big bears and will never hunt them unless they harm someone. One of my co-workers has been required to face a brown bear charge at close quarters and survived it to help educate other outdoorsmen including myself:

HTH,

M2922rCompliant.jpg

Brownells USA made 3", OEM M2, OEM M4

ProfileBrownells3inOEMM2OEMM4-1.jpg

Edited by leid

So far, I like my Benelli much more than pistols. Feels more natural shooting it. I made some performance mods. My goal is to make the best home defense shotgun. Keeping it light, reliable, and maneuverable is a must. Am I missing something to improve the performance? What does everyone thInk? Thanks

M1S90 tactical mods

Done already

•C-Mod Welded lift carrier

•Super90 practical bolt handle

•Meprolight Ghost Ring tritium sights

•Boresight furniture stippling

Near future mods

•Practical bolt release button

•Weapon light

•Aluminum follower in Red

•Myself: Plan to take tactical shotgun classes soon. Most important mod as I am new to shotgunning.

Federal LE-132 shells

Winchester Ranger Slugs

I'd love to see the Boresight work! I would suggest a set of Wolf +/- 25% power springs. So far they are the BESET money I have spent on my M1S90. Actually the +25% spring eats all but the lightest loads, I can get consistent results with 7/8's and heavier.

A +3 mag extension (I happen to be selling one, wink, wink ) is a must. And I would also add a shell side saddle. I use a Mesa +6 and it works awesome!

You need to continue to watch every ounce going onto the M1's as they can be a bit finicky if you strap too much stuff to it. Mine has:

Mag extension +3

Mesa 6 shell side saddle

Wolf power spring

Progressive Machine and Tool, Titanium Bolt handle

CDM MT rail/barrel clamp ***Wouldn't recommend it***

Surefire Scout light with tape switch

Grip tape instead of Ben's work!

Here is mine (without the charging handle).

IMG_1921.jpg

BenelliM1final.jpg

Rezarf and Leid,

You guys have nicely modified guns. They both look awesome with the add ons. Thanks for the tips.

Here are some photos showing the Boresight stippling job. I just returned from my trip and the furniture was waiting for me. I am so pleased with the work Ben did. It looks and feels fantastic. It used to be slippery in my hands. How does grip tape feel in comparison with stippling?

My M1 is a 96 model with the factory extension tube. Do you guys have an extra factory barrel clamp? I would like to pick one up. Do I need to worry about 922r if I didn't modify the tube as it came from factory that way?

In the pics, you can see the welded lift carrier and the round bolt handle just like M4s. I am waiting for Kimber to send me a bolt to attach My front Meprolight sight.

de8b6563.jpg

c4f8c685.jpg

Edited by 2340

Your furniture looks very nice. Brownells offers the Benelli OEM factory barrel/mag tube support bracket assembly: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=15640/pid=6509/Product/60802_BBL_MAG_TUBE_SUPPT_BRCKT_ASSBLY. There is also a TACSTAR aftermarket clamp that has a built-in sling swivel stud: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=41683/Product/BARREL_MAGAZINE_CLAMP. As to 922r, some of the non-pistol grip Benelli M1s such as the Practical and certain other models did come from the factory with the OEM extension tubes. If you have the factory box showing that your M1 was in fact imported in that congifuration, I would ask BATFE to give you their opinion IN WRITING. If you don't have the box as proof & a letter/email from BATFE, I would play in safe and simply comply with 922r.

Edited by leid

Wow, Bens work is amazing. I have never held his work in particular but I have held some other well stippled guns and I have to say I do like the grip tape for easy of installation and removal, however, the stippling I have handled is far more "grippy."

I don't have an extra barrel clamp laying around. I just reblued my barrel yesterday where my CDM mount slid after firing just a few rounds. I followed the directions to a "T" and I was disgusted when it moved. Now I cranked it down and used locktight everywhere. I would go with mesa or Nordic for a barrel clamp light combo.

I purchased my m1 with the extension tube installed so I believe it should be legal. I will write to batfe about this.

It's too bad the cdm clamp slides and scratches the barrels. I'll buy a clamp and put a thin rubber film between it and barrel to prevent slippage. I'll check out the Mesa clamp. Thanks for the Brownells link to the OEM clamp.

The forearm used to be so slippery. Now the stippling texture is very grippy and should perform well in dry and wet conditions. I really like the pattern of the grip tape on the right side of your gun,Rezarf. I would have made the pattern similar to yours if I had seen it beforehand. I am impressed with Ben's work and will send him more work in the future.