Misfire on Remington Turkey Nitros

ERock

Brand new Benelli Nova. No modifications other then a recoil pad.

Went to do some pattern testing for upcoming turkey season. Had a box of Remington Turkey Nitros (3") and a box of Hevi-13's (3").

The Hevi-13's would fire off each time but the 2 rounds I tried firing with the Turkey Nitros were misfires. When I looked at the primers, I didn't seem like a very big dimple compared to other shells I've shot through different shotguns. See the comparisons below.

Hevi-13 on left. Nitro on Right

20110320124336161.jpg

This is a Win. 3" shell fired from a Mossberg 500

20110320124835903.jpg

As you can see, the shell on the 2nd photo appears to be hit a lot harder then the Nova is hitting my shells.

Is this normal for the Nova or should I send it in?

Edited by ERock

Very strange looking light strikes!

Did they actually fire or not, sorry I'm viewing these on my phone so not great.

The Hev-13's would fire every time (3 of 3). The Nitro's only fired once out of the 3 shells. (1 of 3).

Did you only fire 6 shots? 1st thing id do is take it apart. Maybe there is something stopping the firing pin from extending completly and striking the primer enough to set it off.:confused:

I fired a total of 11 shots today. Ran out of time at the end of the day.

I did shoot some slugs at the 50 yard range and didn't have any misfires. I fired 5 slugs off without a problem. Then 6 of the turkey shots. (3 of each brand)

Disassembled and noticed nothing in the way.

Going to clean it all down.

I normally disassemble everything, clean it with a toothbrush and Hoppe's cleaning solvent and then wipe that off and spray anything metal with the rem oil.

Any recommendations on this?

what puzzles me is that it fired one brand but not the other, which makes me question if it has anything to do with the pin.

I thought that too at first, but look at the dimple on the round. Doesn't seem like a strong impact.

The mossberg was there before me, so they didn't get to try shooting the Nitros.

I oiled and then wiped a lot of it since I did read to not over oil the gun.

This was my first shot with the Hevi-13

19197595805527759821703.jpg

This was my first (and only shot) with the Nitros

19457895805502809821703.jpg

These were at 40 yards w/ a Primos Jelly Head choke. I aimed at the bottom part of the neck.

Should probably be shooting a Remington shotgun with Remington ammo.....that works every time.

Really? They make Remington ammo to work best with Remington guns?

I wouldn't think they would be that dumb and short sighted with such a simple mechanism as a shotgun.

ERock.....which shot size of hevi-13 were you using? and did you count the pellets in a 10" circle? also whats the constriction on the jelly head choke?

No I didn't count them.

I do plan on using a bigger piece of paper next time. These are the targets I had at the time.