How's this group?

tucker301

I thought no one would ever ask!

It has nothing to do with Benelli, but I just couldn't contain myself.

This was at 500 yards with my Savage model 12FVSS Varmint Rifle in 22-250.

The rifle is a stock action, trigger, and barrel.

I steel bedded the action into a B&C Duramaxx stock.

It's topped with a Leupold 6.5-20 X 50mm LRT with Varmint reticle.

I use a an Kenton Industries TTC dial on the scope to adjust for elevation based on the given range.

These five were fired at 500 yards from a Tackdriver bag on my truck's toolbox.

The cross wind was 5-10 from left to right.

It took me a few spotters to get it settled in, but I think the group is pretty decent for the distance :D

[ 06-04-2006, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: tucker301 ]

Roughly, a MOA (minute of angle) works out to be 1" at 100 yards.

As you know, the farther an angle goes from its source, the wider the spread, so at 500 yards, it's about 5".

There is a complex mathematical formula for calculating and measuring MOA, but I just use the 1" @ 100 yards.

Had the above group been 2.5", it would have been .5 MOA, which means it could shoot 1/2" at 100 yards, 1" @ 200, and so on.

When measuring a group, it's measured across the distance between the outside edges of the holes farthest apart. Then the diameter of the bullet is deducted from that.

Here's a picture showing the measurements and the load data.

411201.jpg

Considering the mirage across a hay field at 500 yards, and the varying winds, I was probably more lucky than good, but I'll take it either way!

More on MOA and Trajectory

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think we should sugarcoat anything to appease them either.

Nobody shoots PD's for the meat.

They are disease carrying pests that can render land barren and useless.

It's fun to shoot them and watch them explode from the impact.

That's the appeal of the sport, and that site accurately portrays that.

Actually I've never hunted varmits with anything but a .22 and that doesn't vaporize them. I do prefer to use hollow points, but that came about because solid tip bullets would kill them, but they would often get down a hole to die. I preferred to know they were dead and not somewhere wounded and dying.

A lot of guys use the bigger calibers, 22-250, .223, but I enjoyed my .22, that and the shells are significantly cheaper, especially if you get into a colony of ground squirrels that number in the hundreds.

It's an all-day adventure. :D

Look at the scope on that thing! If you didn't hit what you were aiming at, you could take the scope off and beat it to death.

Looks like a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. The gopher population must suffer when you get bored.

[ 06-08-2006, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Cleric ]

To be honest, I thought the wind had me on a couple of them, but I just watched, felt the wind speed, and watched the trees.

Some of the shots were fired holding six inches left and others were fired holding 2 inches left.

I've always had a bit of a knack for reading the wind and making the right adjustments.

I guess that has something to do with that box full of trophies in the attic.

Oops.. bragging again.

Sorry, Junior tongue.gif