Barrel chop for M1S90?

Josh-L

Josh, this is a pretty easy mod for nearly any smith with a mill (and if he doesn't have a mill, he really isn't a smith ;) ). I would ask around a few shops and see if any particular smiths name comes up a few times. Then don't be surprised when he has a little wait, it will be worth it.

I have found a cut, recrown and choke thread isn't that much at all compared to other work.

Where's the best place to send a barrel to get cut down? Is there any smiths who specialize in Benellis?

I use Steve Rose, Rose Action Sports in Pembroke, KY (gunsmith@roseactionsports). He has cut, crowned and re-threaded barrels for 11-87, 870 and the M1 Super 90 (cut to 13.5"). Choke tubes will have to be Tru-Choke (standard, not Thin Wall) because of the barrel thickness. I couldn't find anyone who had the tooling to rethread for the original choke tubes.

I have a 24 inch barrel and I have been wanting to trade for a 21 inch. I haven't been too successful and I checked into getting my barrel cut back to 21 inches. I checked several really well know Benelli gunsmiths and every one of them told me that because of the thin walls the barrel couldn't be threaded for choke tubes. They talked as if it could be done it would be REALLY EXPENSIVE and I would be better off just buying the barrel.

Nalajr

I have a 24 inch barrel and I have been wanting to trade for a 21 inch. I haven't been too successful and I checked into getting my barrel cut back to 21 inches. I checked several really well know Benelli gunsmiths and every one of them told me that because of the thin walls the barrel couldn't be threaded for choke tubes. They talked as if it could be done it would be REALLY EXPENSIVE and I would be better off just buying the barrel.

Nalajr

Barrel thickness is why you can't thread for anything like the Rem Chokes. I have one and it is threaded (Tru-Choke) and it works fine. Price was $60.00 if I remember correctly.

I want to cut it to 10.5. Will I still need to have it threaded for a choke? I have a sbs 870 and it doesn't have a choke tube. This is my first Benelli.

Ive had barrels cut for SBS. Without threading, you have no choke at all. A factory Police 14" barrel is usually Imporved Cylinder (which seems to work best). If you cut a 24" barrel off (10.5 - 14") you loose all choke. They don't seem to hold a pattern at all. Will not work with L.E. Reduced Recoil Buckshot.

I want to cut it to 10.5. Will I still need to have it threaded for a choke? I have a sbs 870 and it doesn't have a choke tube. This is my first Benelli.

Not trying to bust your chops but you do know there are some legal hoops to jump through to get it down to a legal 10.5" right?

...man I want to see it when you get there.

Not trying to bust your chops but you do know there are some legal hoops to jump through to get it down to a legal 10.5" right?

...man I want to see it when you get there.

LOTS of 'em..........

PAIN in the HINEY!!!

Nalajr

Yeah I know all about how to register it as a SBS. As I stated I did my 870 last year and it has a 14 inch barrel on it. Rose got back with me and said just the barrel chop was $60 and then another $60 for choke tube install. Not sure if I can go that short though cause he asked me some questions about the mag tube I don't know the answer to since this is my first Benelli.

Yeah I know all about how to register it as a SBS. As I stated I did my 870 last year and it has a 14 inch barrel on it. Rose got back with me and said just the barrel chop was $60 and then another $60 for choke tube install. Not sure if I can go that short though cause he asked me some questions about the mag tube I don't know the answer to since this is my first Benelli.

One thing for sure, its harder to get a Benelli to run with a barrel that short. With a Rem. 11-87, you just drill the gas ports until it runs with the ammo you want. A recoil operated set up is a little different. You would have to remove the recoil spring tube and start working with recoil springs to get it to cycle. Got lucky with mine. 13.5" barrel and it will cycle Heavy Dove Loads (so the L.E. Reduced Recoil Buckshot isn't a problem). Can be done, just have to work with it. Don't know about the Magazine Tube.

Ok I re-read his email and he said something about moving the mag tube hanger. I have no idea what that is. It's the factory tactical version with 18 inch barrel and two round extension. I was planning on taking the mag extension off and just putting a flush one on but someone told me the mag extensions don't just swap out like on the Remingtons so I guess I'm gonna have to find someone local to look at it for me.

Ok I re-read his email and he said something about moving the mag tube hanger. I have no idea what that is. It's the factory tactical version with 18 inch barrel and two round extension. I was planning on taking the mag extension off and just putting a flush one on but someone told me the mag extensions don't just swap out like on the Remingtons so I guess I'm gonna have to find someone local to look at it for me.

Josh, you can find a standard "cap" like you are thinking, you will just have to hunt around the sporting guns a little bit to find one. They are out there, check the bird hunting guns on GB.

The magazine hanger is the ring that attaches to the bottom of the barrel that supports the mag tube, most every shotugn has one.

I will check the length for you when I get home later today on a single round extension.