New-Winchester announces Blind Side

hattles

From the 2011 Shot Show

Winchester has announced a new line of steel shotshells coming this fall called "Blind Side".

1/24/2011

Winchester® Ammunition is introducing one of the most innovative shotshell loads in the brand’s 144-year history. The new Blind Side™ ammunition combines ground-breaking, stacked HEX™ Shot technology and the new Diamond Cut Wad in the most deadly Winchester waterfowl load available. Loaded with 100 percent HEX™ Shot, you get more pellets on target, a larger kill zone and more trauma inducing pellets than ever before, meaning quick kill shots.

“This is a superior duck and goose load that we’ve spent a tremendous amount of time designing and perfecting”, said Brett Flaugher, vice president of Sales and Marketing for Winchester Ammunition. “As the industry leader in innovative new products, this product is without question, a quality product that waterfowl hunters can shoot with confidence.”

3-1/2 inch loads in BB and #2 @ 1-5/8oz

3 inch loads in BB and #2 @ 1-3/8oz

Both loads listed @ 1400fps

I read a review in the latest issue of Field and Stream which said the patterns are more dense and uniform than round steel shot from 40yds in.

Will be interesting to get some and test it when it arrives.

SymbolGaugeShell LengthShot Wt.VelocityShot Size

$19.95 per 25 at Mack's most of last waterfowl season.

I've got a case ordered for this season :)

That's tough to do considering Winchester is introducing it in the fall of 2011(that's later this year) and hasn't released the first box to the retail market yet.

I've read that one tester said it'll be priced in the $17 - $22 per box range. That means I'll be looking for a sale or just continue shooting my reliable Xpert loads.:D

http://norcalcazadora.blogspot.com/2011/02/winchester-blind-side-nice-ammo-but.html

Edited by hattles

Am I missing something here but from what it looks like the only difference with this new ammo is the HEX shaped steel which allows them to pack 1-3/8oz of shot into a 1-1/4oz cup.

I think they've redesigned the shotcup also. I'd like to try some myself on some early season birds.

That's tough to do considering Winchester is introducing it in the fall of 2011(that's later this year) and hasn't released the first box to the retail market yet.

I've read that one tester said it'll be priced in the $17 - $22 per box range. That means I'll be looking for a sale or just continue shooting my reliable Xpert loads.:D

http://norcalcazadora.blogspot.com/2011/02/winchester-blind-side-nice-ammo-but.html

Sorry pal, but Mack's had Blind Side this past season, and many gave it good reviews.

You do know they don't just invent an item and release for sale the next day, right?

Sorry pal, but Mack's had Blind Side this past season, and many gave it good reviews.

You do know they don't just invent an item and release for sale the next day, right?

mudhen, c'mon man...this is a brand new Winchester release and Mack's doesn't sell it. They never have because it's never been on the market before. I'm sure they will have it this fall when Winchester releases it.

"You do know they don't just invent an item and release for sale the next day, right?" DUH! I suspect that is why it's not on the retail shelves yet!

Sorry pal, but I wasn't born yesterday either.

This is straight off of the Winchester website:

1/24/2011

Winchester® Ammunition is introducing one of the most innovative shotshell loads in the brand’s 144-year history....AVAILABILITY, FALL, 2011...not 2010 or 2009 but 2011...you must be mistaken or ???

Edited by hattles

mudhen, c'mon man...this is a brand new Winchester release and Mack's doesn't sell it. They never have because it's never been on the market before. I'm sure they will have it this fall when Winchester releases it.

"You do know they don't just invent an item and release for sale the next day, right?" DUH! I suspect that is why it's not on the retail shelves yet!

Sorry pal, but I wasn't born yesterday either.

This is straight off of the Winchester website:

1/24/2011

Winchester® Ammunition is introducing one of the most innovative shotshell loads in the brand’s 144-year history....AVAILABILITY, FALL, 2011...not 2010 or 2009 but 2011...you must be mistaken or ???

You might not have been born yesterday, but you are not that well informed on this one. While I did not travel to Mack's retail store personally, there were many reports from shooters in Dec & Jan that Blind Side #2's were for sale for $19.95 per 25, and the reviews were very positive. I never saw them on the website though. Maybe a limited test run? I saw photos of the shells & boxes. Dealers have been placing Fall 2011 orders since iit was first announced in late 2010. My dealer says delivery is for Sept.

You might not have been born yesterday, but you are not that well informed on this one. While I did not travel to Mack's retail store personally, there were many reports from shooters in Dec & Jan that Blind Side #2's were for sale for $19.95 per 25, and the reviews were very positive. I never saw them on the website though. Maybe a limited test run? I saw photos of the shells & boxes. Dealers have been placing Fall 2011 orders since iit was first announced in late 2010. My dealer says delivery is for Sept.

mudhen, someone was pullin your leg, but whatever! Bourjaily from Field and Stream went to Nilo Farms and shot some flighted ducks with it late last year so I see where you may have read about it and there were some pictures in the article and again in another article on Jan 2011 on Shotgun World forum complete with pictures of the packaging. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=243614

That said, it has never been sold to the public and is set to be introduced to retail around June of this year.

Winchester didn't officially make the announcement until the 2011 SHOT SHOW.

You said: "$19.95 per 25 at Mack's most of last waterfowl season. I've got a case ordered for this season."

When I read about it I did inquire with Erin at Mack's and did find it kind of funny, after reading your post, that Mack's isn't taking any orders because they've never had it? Oh well, such the life of a duck hunter.

I do want to get some and no one has any info yet in Fresno. Could I get the name & phone number of your dealer because I'll be in Sacramento most of next week and I would like to order a case for myself. That would be much appreciated.:)

Edited by hattles

Hey hattles check it out,

I was trying to find some reviews on this Blind Side ammo and I found this:

From what it looks like, Winchester released a limited amount of this stuff to the public around December and January because they wanted to build a field report before the 2011 Shot Show.

Edited by duckht183

From what it looks like, Winchester released a limited amount of this stuff to the public around December and January because they wanted to build a field report before the 2011 Shot Show.

Leave it to the smart guy from Manteca to find a link :)

That has to be what happened, because all the reports I heard were about 3" #2's.

My dealer shot it at a Texas trade show in January, and he said they had pallets of cases of 3" #2 Blind Side at the shooting range for dealers to test. He says that all his distributors are pushing it hard for 2011, and trying to get orders now.

Several folks have reported that Mack's had full CASES of 3" #2's in the shop for sale, so it is logical to presume that someone at Winchester managed to get some of this limited run shipped to Mack's.

So the author lady was sent 3" #2's to demo.

My dealer shot 3" #2's directly from a full case.

I've read several reports that Mack's had 3" #2's for sale in the store.

I sure could be wrong, but the facts suggest that Blind Side was available in Dec/Jan, albeit in limited supply, and that at least one retailer had it for sale during that time :)

mudhen, someone was pullin your leg, but whatever! Bourjaily from Field and Stream went to Nilo Farms and shot some flighted ducks with it late last year so I see where you may have read about it and there were some pictures in the article and again in another article on Jan 2011 on Shotgun World forum complete with pictures of the packaging. http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=243614

That said, it has never been sold to the public and is set to be introduced to retail around June of this year.

Winchester didn't officially make the announcement until the 2011 SHOT SHOW.

You said: "$19.95 per 25 at Mack's most of last waterfowl season. I've got a case ordered for this season."

When I read about it I did inquire with Erin at Mack's and did find it kind of funny, after reading your post, that Mack's isn't taking any orders because they've never had it? Oh well, such the life of a duck hunter.

I do want to get some and no one has any info yet in Fresno. Could I get the name & phone number of your dealer because I'll be in Sacramento most of next week and I would like to order a case for myself. That would be much appreciated.:)

Me pay attention to anything written in Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Week Old News, etc :confused: Not a chance...

See my previous reply above for my take on where the stuff might have come from.

As to dealers, you are on your own to do your own homework, that's how I do it. Keeping specific info to myself is how I keep many of these contacts.

Just like I'm sure 'Erin' at Mack's appreciated your phone call, my dealers just love those types of calls. "I heard on the Interweb that you have such & such, now I want some too". I have Marion's e-mail address, but I'm not going to be an idiot and ask him if he carried demo ammo last season....

My dealer called me in January from a test range in Texas where he was shooting Blind Side, and asked me if I thought he should stock it. I said sure, and that I would take a least one case this fall. That's it. That's all there is to the story. The dealer I use for most of my purchases is in Redding, so maybe check the Redding area in Sept/Oct for availability? As soon as I know it to be in stock, I'll post up!

I have been hearing more and more about the upcoming use of Hex Shot. Apparently more and more ammo manufacturers are really looking into this option....

Leave it to the smart guy from Manteca to find a link :)

That has to be what happened, because all the reports I heard were about 3" #2's.

My dealer shot it at a Texas trade show in January, and he said they had pallets of cases of 3" #2 Blind Side at the shooting range for dealers to test. He says that all his distributors are pushing it hard for 2011, and trying to get orders now.

Several folks have reported that Mack's had full CASES of 3" #2's in the shop for sale, so it is logical to presume that someone at Winchester managed to get some of this limited run shipped to Mack's.

So the author lady was sent 3" #2's to demo.

My dealer shot 3" #2's directly from a full case.

I've read several reports that Mack's had 3" #2's for sale in the store.

I sure could be wrong, but the facts suggest that Blind Side was available in Dec/Jan, albeit in limited supply, and that at least one retailer had it for sale during that time

I'm still waiting for the day when someone walks up to me and says "Hey I want you hunt this new gun that hasn't been released yet, and let me know what you think."

Forget going to school to be a Paramedic, I want the tester's job!:D

I'm still waiting for the day when someone walks up to me and says "Hey I want you hunt this new gun that hasn't been released yet, and let me know what you think."

Forget going to school to be a Paramedic, I want the tester's job!

Pre-release testing is very common, but kept pretty quiet. I heard about the Super Vinci the same day they announced the Vinci, but no one believed me.

If the Super Vinci comes out in Mossy Oak Bottomland soon, I'm in big trouble :o

There's another rumor for someone to bash me about. Benelli has worked out a deal to carry guns in Mossy Oak camo and Real Tree camo. Should be announced soon. Big box stores have already been doing this for years, and the results are good I hear.

How well do you think the Super Vinci will sell in Mossy Oak Duck Blind :D

I hear ya on the tester's job.

The Winchester rep sent a couple of boxes to Cazadora to be field tested. No retail to the public yet. Mack's doesn't expect any until they get their new stock from Winchester sometime in August.

Edited by hattles

Pre-release testing is very common, but kept pretty quiet. I heard about the Super Vinci the same day they announced the Vinci, but no one believed me.

If the Super Vinci comes out in Mossy Oak Bottomland soon, I'm in big trouble

There's another rumor for someone to bash me about. Benelli has worked out a deal to carry guns in Mossy Oak camo and Real Tree camo. Should be announced soon. Big box stores have already been doing this for years, and the results are good I hear.

How well do you think the Super Vinci will sell in Mossy Oak Duck Blind :D

So would this mean that Benelli would make the SBE II in Mossy Oak Duck Blind? :rolleyes:

I'm not sold on the whole Vinci design yet...Maybe it's because I haven't had the opportunity to hunt with one. Either way, I like the idea of Benelli being contracted with Mossy Oak.

I hear ya on the tester's job.

The Winchester rep sent a couple of boxes to Cazadora to be field tested. No retail to the public yet. Mack's doesn't expect any until they get their new stock from Winchester sometime in August.

As far as the release of this ammo to the general public goes I think you're right. But I think Winchester made a good number of 3" #2's (because every report has been the same) and that they were more than willing to distribute this ammo if you knew the right person to talk to.

As for Mack's carrying the ammo before the 2011 release, I can see where that might be possible. I would imagine that a Winchester Rep contacted Mack's and delivered lets say 20 cases of Blind Side ammo that were to be sold "in store only" as a trial run. That can explain why there wouldn't be a record of any online sales.

This sounds like just another one of those cases where "It's all about who you know" type of thing.

Benelli already had a limited run of SBE II's with Duck Blind Camo. I picked one up about a year ago, new in the box, but it was hard to find. From what I heard they made 500 of them, and that was it. Max4 is too bright for me, but the duck blind looks sweet on the SBEII.

Yep, I saw them somewhere, maybe Scheels? Cabela's? It looked very nice.

I agree, the Banana Yellow Max 4 is too bright, and it gets brighter and more shiny over time :( :D