CarrierComp Titanium Hybrid GenII Charging Handle

KB Fab

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe KB or Stranger Danger will properly upload the photos.

Comparison of charging handles for the M4.

Just received my new Kip handle it's real nice......tight fit and looks great.

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/veryeasy4me/?action=view&current=Screenshot2011-04-06at71954PM.png

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/veryeasy4me/?action=view&current=Screenshot2011-04-06at71954PM.png

Got my charging handle last night. Muted tone is GTG; totally non-reflective.

I like the diameter of the charging handle. I would have preferred it to be the length of the FFT charging handle to make it a bit easier to manipulate with the left hand, but I'm not complaining. That's just my preference, and I believe the durability of the steel tang outweighs that shortcoming.

Why is a steel tang better than a titanium tang?

I just bought an FFT ti handle, but if its no good, I want to get Kips.

I don't know that it's necessarily any "better", I think it comes down to a personal preference where the design principles come into play. IIRC, Kip once address this and even said that the Ti knobs he initially tested were functionally fine. It came down to some cosmetic wear that the steel handles didn't show. There was also some speculation that the steel tangs were better able to serve the dual-use duty of a takedown tool for removing the trigger group pin and the gas pistons, like Benelli intended.

This is all from memory but it's there if you do a search. Personally I think for most of us titanium would be fine and I imagine that FFT has plenty of their handles in service. If you have it, I'd say use it and see what you think.

Thanks pal.

I don't know that it's necessarily any "better", I think it comes down to a personal preference where the design principles come into play. IIRC, Kip once address this and even said that the Ti knobs he initially tested were functionally fine. It came down to some cosmetic wear that the steel handles didn't show. There was also some speculation that the steel tangs were better able to serve the dual-use duty of a takedown tool for removing the trigger group pin and the gas pistons, like Benelli intended.

This is all from memory but it's there if you do a search. Personally I think for most of us titanium would be fine and I imagine that FFT has plenty of their handles in service. If you have it, I'd say use it and see what you think.

Guest cleefurd
Why is a steel tang better than a titanium tang?

I just bought an FFT ti handle, but if its no good, I want to get Kips.

Diabulous,

The FFT you have should serve you very well for certain. The steel tang offers no advantage as a charging handle alone.

We mimicked the factory (heat treated steel) tang for its advantages where extreme duty (yield strength before bending if dropped, etc) and abrasion resistance during and after utilization as a disassembly tool. Aspects not all users will ever need or require.

Speaking of suggestions, LeoAtrox mentioned the longer length being a thought for cross-hand charging...

...any one second that motion? Currently we match the OEM 3/4" extension. Would 1" be better received? Or would it pose a nuisance sticking out farther?

Speaking of suggestions, LeoAtrox mentioned the longer length being a thought for cross-hand charging...

...any one second that motion? Currently we match the OEM 3/4" extension. Would 1" be better received? Or would it pose a nuisance sticking out farther?

Personally, I like the 3/4" length and think it is plenty. I had the GG&G and one of the things I didn't like was the extra protrusion. I'm sure everyone will have a preference but proportionally, I think the 1/2" OD is well matched to the 3/4" length.

First a thank you to KB Fab . Awesome pics . It sure helps you make up your mind when you can see all the choices side by side . The only thing better would be to feel all of them in person . Sometimes you can't have it all . By the way , what forearm are you using ? Any more pics of it ? Or any side by side comparisions ?

My question and only concern about the CC Ti handle is why two pieces "bonded" together ? Wouldn't one solid piece of Ti be better never having to worry about seperation ?

Also when will this be available in Black and is the mag tube available in Black also ?

Thanks

Guest cleefurd

My question and only concern about the CC Ti handle is why two pieces "bonded" together ? Wouldn't one solid piece of Ti be better never having to worry about seperation ?

Also when will this be available in Black and is the mag tube available in Black also ?

Thanks

SKIP TO LAST PARAGRAPH IF YOU ARE EASILY BORED

In spite of its "wonderful accolades", titanium can never rival steel along solid core yield strength (bending of tang), deflection failure marks, or abrasion resitance (durometer). Titanium rivals steel (impervious to hydrogen imbrittlement at elevated temps, strength to weight ratios, corrosion resistance, etc), but where brute strength across the board is concerned, appropriately rendered "tool-steels" will prevail. The down side is one's strength narrowly overshadows the other's weakness... but not always. Reciprocal mass is less suspect in gas operated platforms, yet has been demnonstrated as "culpable" by the introduction of bolt knobs which impede cyclic velocity (heavy). Having observed this indicated lighter was "better". Hence solid Ti charging handle made sense. Unfortunately casualties crept in;

• Bent knobs
  • Disfigured tangs

....BOTH maladies seldom if ever encountered with the heat treated OEM charging handles.

"LAST PARAGRAPH"

In order to attain the "best of both worlds", both worlds had to become one.

These charging handles will never ever seperate or fail to operate as a homogenous unit GUARANTEED. They are bonded with techniques and within parameters utilized by pioneers who preceeded our "hybrid" approach. Failure won't occur.

The mag tubes have been available in black since 2002.

The charging handles will be available in PVD coated "Tactical-Black" as soon as our second vendor sends the samples back. (Not if but when).

Edited by cleefurd

Guest cleefurd
Thank you for ALL the detailed info !! How do I get on the waiting list for a black charging handle ?

• You're on it
  • I appreciate the question
  • And I will harass the snot out of our PVD coater until he delivers what you require.

It's the least I can do. :D

All kidding aside they (PVD coater) have made me play the waiting game but that's life. Wish we had our own PVD coating chambers.

PM me your contact info and I'll let you know when the "Tac-Black" versions are in stock.

Edited by cleefurd

I'd like to remind all that the matte titanium finish is totally flat. There is no shine. So from a practical standpoint, the bolt knobs currently available will do just fine for you.

Wait for black if that's your preference; but if you don't care about "color," you shouldn't hesistate to order what carriercomp already has available. It may not be black, but but the current knob is effectively as "tactical" as any other would be.

First a thank you to KB Fab . Awesome pics . It sure helps you make up your mind when you can see all the choices side by side . The only thing better would be to feel all of them in person . Sometimes you can't have it all . By the way , what forearm are you using ? Any more pics of it ? Or any side by side comparisions ?

You are welcome. The forearm in the Quad pics is a Surefire M80 and does not belong to me. Those are pics I posted for another forum member. I have the FFT forearm on my M4 in the other pics.