MR1 .223 only??

Either/Or

I would suspect that if they advertised 5.56 Nato then yes it will also shoot 223 but a 223 trying to shoot 5.56 Nato is where their would be an issue! If i were in question i would call Benelli and ask them! There is a diffence in the 2 rounds and what does the Manual say?

I have read on other forums about your same issue and they have said Benelli says to use 223 ammo? and that is messed up! The advertisement of it being able to safely shoot 5.56 Nato is just not good unless it can shoot 5.56 Nato which everyone knows you should not use 5.56 Nato in a 223? Good luck but they will tell you use what is printed and stamped on the firearm?

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

I suppose if it's a 5.56 firearm it would be ok to use 223 ammo in it but if it was a 223 firearm i would not an will not use 5.56 Nato in my Mini 14! Just my Opinion you can shoot whatever you feel safe with.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_211-Unsafe_Arms_and_Ammunition_Combinations.pdf

Above on page # 6 say's you can't use 5.56 in a 223!

Edited by HOGWILD

• 4 weeks later...

As of today, I looked at the Benelli USA MR1 website, and this was what it stated.

A.R.G.O. system incorporated into the new Benelli MR1 does it for the U.S. military, and makes the MR1 the best home defense rifle available. MR1 self defense guns are chambered in 5.56 mm NATO (.223 Remington) and use the battle-proven Auto Regulating Gas Operated (A.R.G.O.) system—the same system developed by Benelli for the M1014 (M4) and used for over a decade in multiple conflicts by the United States Marine Corps.

Built to the same tough military specifications and embodying the solid reliability that the U.S. Marines rely upon, the MR1 has no equal among home defense weapons. It features a stainless steel, self-cleaning piston that operates directly against the proven rotating bolt, thereby eliminating the need for complex linkages found on other, inferior gas systems. This piston-driven system, perfected by Benelli, incorporates a gas port located just forward of the chamber, where the gases are hotter and cleaner, resulting in less fouling and more reliable cycling. The result—a Benelli carbine with features rivaling all other home defense rifles, including Marine—tough reliability and the ability to function in the harshest environmental conditions.

The user's manual that came with my MR1 also stated the same.

With best regards,

the main difference between the two rounds is the bullet wait inside the case. The 5.56 mm NATO requires a lower barrel twist rate to stabilize the bullet it is recommended to use a 1 in 9 twist rate or lower for 5.56. (which is normally a 60 or higher grain bullet.) I believe the MR1 has a 1 in 9 twist rate that is why it can shoot both.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
For anyone else interested in this question, I emailed benelli customer service and their reply is that the mr1 is chambered for both 5.56 and .223, so good to go.

Either/or:

can you forward that email to me? I've been unable to get customer service to email me a confirm that 5.56 is ok with .223 stamped on barrel. This would be helpful as I don't understand why Benelli stamped .223 on the barrel of a rifle advertised as "chambered for 5.56 Nato". Thanks. You can email via [email protected]

Edited by htraver3
spelling

So they should have the barrel stamped 5.56 NATO ? Who cares if you do not know the difference between 5.56 Nato and 223 Remington, i would be concerned if you were trying to shoot Nato 5.56 in any 223 Remington!

http://www.thegunzone.com/556v223.html

I understand the differences in the ammunition pressures. I don't understand why Binelli stamped .223 on a rifle advertised as "chambered for 5.56 NATO" and beleive they owe all who bought their rifles an explanation.

I was able to get Binelli USA customer service to confirm in writing that 5.56 is ok for an MR1 with the ".223" stamped on the barrel.

It appears there are some import considerations and/or translation issues with european manufacturers of 5.56 capable rifles. the same type of confusion reins for other european imports of 5.56/.223. see the posts on the san sig 55x on the sig forum at:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/4090092552/p/1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 4/2/2011 at 1:53 AM, Either/Or said:

For anyone else interested in this question, I emailed benelli customer service and their reply is that the mr1 is chambered for both 5.56 and .223, so good to go.

Hello, just bought a MR1 Can you please fwd the benelli response about 5..56 is ok please??

• 1 year later...