Few more Benelli M1 questions

Josh-L

Ok I plan on cutting my barrel down. My gun has ghost rings on it. Will my smith be able to remove the front sight and re-install it or will I need to purchase another "tower" front sight for the ghost ring? If I need to purchase another one can anyone link me to it at brownells or midway?

Second question... my nightsights are burnt out. Not a big deal cause I want to put a fiber optic front on anyway. Is there a replacement rear ghost ring that is solid black with no dots? And who makes the most rugged green fiber optic to replace the front night sight with?

And the last question (for now lol)... I plan on removing the mag extension and cutting the barrel flush with the end of the tube. Would this...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6281/Product/FOREND_CAP__W_O_SWIVEL_STUD

... be the best thing to use or is there another option? I plan on putting a Nordic big bolt knob on it and would like to have one of their spiral fluted extension tube nuts but I don't need a tube. Would it be possible to use this...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=191485&cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing%20-%20Gun%20Parts%20-%20Shotgun%20-%20(Aftermarket)-_-PriceCompListing-_-191485

... as just an end cap with no extension?

I'm going for a Benelli M1K look...

attachment.php?attachmentid=4850&stc=1&d=1127963670

Thanks. You guys have been a lot of help so far.

Edited by Josh-L

1. Talk to your smith, he will know if he can "un-weld" the front sight. I doubt he will be able to but only he will know. Otherwise they do make "Band" sights for the front with fiber optic. Like this:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19505/Product/REMINGTON_SHOTGUN_TACTICAL_GHOST_RING_SIGHT_SET

2. You can always post up here for a factory replacement non-tritium. Brownells also carrys some factory parts.

3. The Nordic tube would look great with one of their handles, however you need to "cap" that cap. I would call Nordic to see if they make a flush fitting cap. The nut you linked to is open on both ends.

That gun would look amazing when done. Make sure you post up some pics.

1. Talk to your smith, he will know if he can "un-weld" the front sight. I doubt he will be able to but only he will know. Otherwise they do make "Band" sights for the front with fiber optic. Like this:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19505/Product/REMINGTON_SHOTGUN_TACTICAL_GHOST_RING_SIGHT_SET

2. You can always post up here for a factory replacement non-tritium. Brownells also carrys some factory parts.

3. The Nordic tube would look great with one of their handles, however you need to "cap" that cap. I would call Nordic to see if they make a flush fitting cap. The nut you linked to is open on both ends.

That gun would look amazing when done. Make sure you post up some pics.

Sent Nordic an email about the flush fitting cap.

I looked all over Brownells but couldn't find factory all black rear sight.

I also sent my gunsmith an email to see what he thought about the front sight. I agree, I doubt he'll be able to remove it and I don't want to replace it with a banded one. Looks like this project might be a pain.

Here is the Brownells page that might be most helpful. Do you have the LPA sights or the stamped sheetmetal sights?

I think you will find that the M1 is nothing like a 590 or 870 to modify and build up. They are way harder to find parts for.

• 1 month later...

You are on a noble quest (and I assume aware of the short barreled shotgun NFA requirements...)

Personally I have a Mossberg 590A1 14" SBS. Yeah, it's not a Benelli but it was only 4-bills (plus 2 more for the tax stamp...). It satisfies the fix and get lots of attention at the range. Kicks like a mule with full power stuff, ESP slugs.

YMMV,

Rhino

This guide acts as an aid in identifying types of firearms and destructive devices which must be registered with ATF under the national firearms act (title II of the gun control act of 1968).

Short Barreled Shotgun

Distinctive Characteristics

Shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length.

Rate of Transfer Tax

$200.00