M4 Ammo Recommendations

Smokin

Best answer to this question would be what works the best with your shotgun. Stole that advice from the MagPul shotgun course. You should pattern a number of brands and see what works best for your gun.

Bottom line is once this issue moves from the theoretical to the practical it's VERY important to know where all your pellets are likely to end up. At 25 yds, it's quite likely some brands will not impact a man-sized target with all the pellets when aiming center mass, and then you have a "pistol round or three" that will be impacting something else, hopefully not causing injury or death to an innocent party.

You ought to buy the MagPul videos and check them out. I think most cops, after taking that course, might do a slug swap for a 25 yard shot unless nothing else is around or behind the target, but of course, until you know what the pattern looks like, who can say what's best for you.

To address your 2nd post: You have a gas operated shotgun so low recoil buckshot shouldn't be an issue but all the more reason to sample a number of brands and both normal and low recoil. Personally, I'd start out with full loads, as they aren't bad and then see if others function solidly as you get more rounds through the gun and it breaks in fully.

Edited by BigHat

Thanks. I do know that results will vary from firearm to firearm as in rifles and pistols. However as in rifles and pistols, factory weapons TEND to like and dislike similar ammo. I was hoping for some feedback on what has worked for others using an M4. Hopefully similarities within nearly identical platforms will yield similar results. This will help me limit my purchases on varying brands/types of "experimental" rounds.

Thanks. I was hoping for some feedback on what has worked for others using an M4. Hopefully similarities within nearly identical platforms will yield similar results. This will help me limit my purchases on varying brands/types of "experimental" rounds.

We all only know what we experience, but chokes and even slight differences in same spec chokes, barrels etc will effect different rounds. That's why pattern boards exist.

If you ever think this will become more than a recreational device (nothing wrong with that) it would pay to invest in three or four brands of shells and see what you have. In addition to pattern, point of impact very well could differ. Instructors re-establish zero with every change of brand.

Hate to keep mentioning that SEARCH button -- you don't like researching things yourself?

A few threads, but search for yourself for more:

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22408&highlight=Patterns

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24834&highlight=patterning\

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22749&highlight=Patterns

Edited by BigHat

What are your ammo recommendations for a defensive load for a Benelli M4. I would imagine this would be for engagements 25 yards and under. Both 00 and slug....

Buy these and keep shooting them till you get really good; you should be able to get them around $0.57 a piece delivered.

1926_pd2136001_1.jpg

If you want some bunker buster slugs, give these a try.

132180.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=132180

They're one of the lightest recoiling slugs I've ever used. They're also one of the most destructive from my own personal tests and from online data.

Far more destructive than any Fosters type slug I have used in side by side comparison. These expanding 1 1/8 ounce steel slugs will punch through an engine block. They'll also open up in a target upon impact and shed the six steel peddles almost instantly. The six peddles travel at a 30 - 45 degree angle from the impact site approximately 10 - 12 inches. The core of the slug keeps on trucking straight through.

Russian brown bears that are shot with them have penetration cavities all the way through the body of the bear. Most published cases show that the core of the slug is retained in the body under the skin on the opposite side of the impact site.

If I had an over penetration concern, I'd opt for a different weapon.

The only ammunition that my M4 has ever given a thumbs down to and fail to feed and cycle are older paper hulled rounds.

that looks like some no nonsense ammo. no need to buy gold stock up on this and use it for barter later on - thanks for link to source.. they have several others and I can see its going to involve my wallet if I can just lift my butt cheek to get it out..

at the price It would take a bear or moose or bigfoot charging to really shoot it - but as long as you pulled off a sure shot with no shake looks like you could count on it.

scary looking stuff. thanks to you for actually shooting it and reporting on it.

If you don't mind buying from Walmart, you can get 15 packs of Remington and Winchester 2.75" buckshot or slug for $8.97 a box here in Arizona, probably the same wherever you are.

Whatever you end up getting, buy, and shoot, a lot of it.