Best turkey ammo for SBEII (MAX-4)

FISH-ON

Hi there, first year turkey hunting and was wondering if some of the experienced guys can point me in the right direction for which preferred ammo they like to use. I'll be using a standard full choke, the shot we can use up here in Canada is either 4,5 or 6 size and i'll probably use 2 3/4", from what i've read it seems Federal is the frontrunner...thoughts?

Any info. will be appreciated...

If you insist on using the full choke.....my SBE 2 puts 100 pellets in a 10" circle at a measured forty yards. (Federal Flite control 3.5" #5 shot-2oz loads)

however the (Hevi-13 showed 152 pellets on a 10" circle with 3.5" #6- 1 3/4oz loads) using a .667 Hevi shot choke.

Im very well pleased with my SBE 2

there are three really good loads that you can shoot.

Winchester #5 or #6 XTended Range

Hevi shot #5 or #6

and Fed HeavyWeight #6

These are all pretty expensive shells $4- $5 per shell

so, as an alternative , winchester #5 lead is awesome. The best advice is to shoot it

and that gives you an idea what your pattern looks like and how far you can comfortably shoot a turkey.

Nothing wrong with the Federal Flite Control at all......they are designed to be shot with a choke no tighter than a .665 and non ported choke according to Federal. I took two long beard last year in Md with that very load.......dead is dead.

- the con is the load will have quite a bit less energy down range of 40yds compared to the Hevi-13 etc...

I'd say yes, at least try a Jellyhead in .660, then test any good #6 load for a more dense pattern.

And from your experience, what the best combo/ammo to use with the Jellyhead on an SBEII open sight...hopefully I can get her patterned in before 'opener'

I wanted to ask a few other questions via 'pm' but i'm not over my 15 posts yet lol re: SBEII and firing slugs out of her

Thanks for all your help so far

And from your experience, what the best combo/ammo to use with the Jellyhead on an SBEII open sight...hopefully I can get her patterned in before 'opener'

I wanted to ask a few other questions via 'pm' but i'm not over my 15 posts yet lol re: SBEII and firing slugs out of her

Thanks for all your help so far

H-13 6's, Win XR 6's, maybe even plain old lead Win HV 6's. I'd try them in 3" & 3.5". Magnum Blend might be good as well.

Much depends on your gun, so you will probably just have to try some different shells and see what your gun prefers :)