26 or 28 inch barrel for duck hunting?

kentucky duck man

I personally prefer shorter barrels and have been shooting them pretty well for over 30 years. A 26" Benelli SBEII is about the same length from butt to barrel tip as a 28" standard auto or O/U. Because the 3-1/2" reciever is longer than a standard 3" autoloaders reciever and as the video that tucker301 linked to explains that there is no noticable difference or advantage to a longer barrel vs a shorter barrel. Get what you feel comfortable with and you'll be happy. I also shoot a 24" 20 ga Monty and love it.

The benefits are from chokes and different choices of ammo, the barrel length issue is not an issue and it's as tucker mentioned a feel issue mostly! Most say go with the 28 inch but if it were me i would see which shouldered the best! Watch the Gun Fit video on tuckers link also it has some important info as well!

Guest James12

I definitely prefer using a 26 barrel as the shorter barrels are a bit easier to handle. I have used both for duck hunting and comes down to personal preference

I agree with James12, it's as personal preference. I have an SBE II with a 28" barrel because it is planes out for me way better than the 26". On the other hand, I have a Browning 3.5 Gold that has a 26" barrel, and it planes out better than the 28". You just need to shoulder them and see how they feel. The gain/loss from either a 26" or a 28" is negligible in my opinion, it comes down to what fits.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I use the 26" barrel on all of my semi-autos, SBE included. The Benelli factory chokes have all (5) proven outstanding on all fowl, from dove to turkey. I prefer the IC for ducks/geese over the decoys; IM for light geese over decoys & or pass shooting and F for turkey. I can't say enough good things about the Benelli factory chokes.