20 ga

fsh4eye

I do not own a 20 ga but the wife would like to start shooting. She is kinda wippy when it comes to pain. Can some one tell me if there is much difference in kick from a auto 20ga ver. a non auto 20 ga. I am afraid see will quit if the kick is to bad before giving it a good chance.

Thanks

I dont know? But I would try 28 gauge or even 410 ( It is totaly up to yoy and your wife). Stoger makes those gauges in over and under, I think. I am sorry I dont know about the 20 gauge. Another question what would you shoot at. If you have to get a 20 gauge for whatever you are shooting at you could try and load the gun up with recoil readucers and stuff. :D tongue.gif

Now that the yammering is out of the way, let's address the question.

Factors affecting felt recoil will be the weight of the gun, the type of gun (gas, o/u, inertia, etc.), the recoil management system, and the design of the stock.

All other factors being equal, a gas operated gun will send less recoil to your wife's shoulder, because a portion of the energy from the fired cartridge is used to operate the mechanism.

In inertia operated systems, such as the Legacy's and Montefeltro's, the action is operated by the movement of the gun as it reacts to recoil.

Place an inertia gun's butt against a solid object, such as a tree or brick wall, and the gun may not function properly. This gives some insight into what needs to happen to her shoulder when she fires one.

Consider the 20 ga. Franchi Raptor.

It's slightly heavier, gas operated, and ported.

Depending on her height and reach, it may be worthwhile to consider a youth-sized gun.

Consult other female shooters, knowledgable dealers, and others at the range.

If possible, have your wife shoulder various guns and see what she likes or dislikes about them.

Even better would be if she could actually shoot a few at the range before buying.

I just bought a Franchi Veloce in 20 ga., and I can tell you that she'd probably love the weight, but hate the recoil of that gun.

Unless you're really constrained by budget, don't consider the Condor. It's a cheap gun. It's good for its market, but I suspect you want something better for your wife.

Originally posted by fsh4eye:

I do not own a 20 ga but the wife would like to start shooting. She is kinda wippy when it comes to pain. Can some one tell me if there is much difference in kick from a auto 20ga ver. a non auto 20 ga. I am afraid see will quit if the kick is to bad before giving it a good chance.

Thanks

I just purchased a 20 ga. Benelli Legacy. I have used it to shoot skeet and did not notice recoil at all. It is lite and swings easy. LOVE IT!

I have a Beretta A302 gas operated 20ga that I think shoots soft as a mouse. Bought it for a girlfriend to use 15 years ago. Most women who have shot it had no problem, although a few weeks ago a new girlfriend @ 5'-8" & 117lbs handed it back after one shot with a Winchester AA. Personally, I would do all I could to make your wife's FIRST shot a pleasant one. They make reduced recoil shotgun shells these days, although I don't know if they come in 20ga yet. I haven't been to a skeet/trap range in years, but do they have "house" guns to rent for new shooters??? A .410 or 28ga might be good to try if they do. Other than that I can't add anything to what's already been written above.