Supernova or Super Blackeagle

la1cajun

Hey guys, new to forums and Benelli. I currently have a remington model 870 20g pump im giving to my son to use so i can start bringing him hunting. I on the other hand am really trying to figure out what gun to get, between the Supernova or SBE 2. Ive shouldered both in the stores and the SBE 2 shoulders so well its unreal. The Supernova seems a little long, not sure what the deal was, found myself having to bring the gun out more then into my shoulder. I think it can be adjusted with shims though. Ive only used pump shotguns and this will be my first 12g and first Auto if i go with the SBE 2. Is there a big difference with the recoil on either. I will be mostly duck, goose, and turkey hunting with occasional pheasant. Ive read reviews and the supernova seems bombproof, the SBE 2 seems the same way though im a little concerned about the misfire or "clicks" that people have run into reading the reviews...though not many at all...i think mostly in the cold with excess oil. Like i said im new to semi autos. I live in colorado so it will get a little cold here at times in the winter..lol. If anyone has any input Id appreciate it. Im just torn because i had settled on the Supernova until i shouldered the SBE 2. Man that is one sweet firearm. Seems to be popular as well when i was looking through the pics on here and i think every gun shown in a pic was a semiauto. Yall have fun and looking foward to replies.

The Cajun

Edited by la1cajun

If money is not an issue, I would buy the SBE ll, without hesitation. Both will do the same things, both are good guns, but an auto vs. a pump. The auto wins, in my opinion. You mentioned that the SBE ll pulls up the best. That would end the debate for me..I own both, and would not consider using the Nova, if the SBE was available..Good luck with your decision..Mike

I have them both, after purchasing the SBE 2 the SuperNova never leaves the safe. Both are great guns, but the SBE 2 is simply awesome. Use Break Free CLP (lubricant) and myself use a grease called TW25B on the rails......cold, wet, or hot she runs perfect. Run a few boxes of high brass heavy loads through it before trying the 1 1/8oz loads through it. You will love it after you get passed the price tag.

as for the recoil.....to me its not much different than the SuperNova using the shoulder as the judge. both guns come with shim kits as well. The SBE 2 does come with hard case and 5 chokes.

Thanks for the input! The recoil was an issue with me cause Ive seen my brother and my cousin shoot all day and showed me pics of the bruises from their biceps up to their shoulder. Thats just crazy. I love hunting but do take meds to help keep my blood thin and if they are bruising like that my arm would be black..lol...myself, 98% of people i talk to dont bruise like that, especially if your seated in the shoulder where your supposed to be and not on your bicep. They wernt using benellis either, but brownings and winchester i think. Anyway...keep the ideas coming, i really want that SBE 2. Have a great afternoon guys.

The Cajun

Thanks. That makes me feel better. As far as the SBE 2. I read a forum yesterday that said the SBE's jam because they are inertia drive instead of gas and that any little dirt or anything that gets in there will cause it to jam because of the way the system works. Any input on that. Like i said, im new to autos and not too familiar with them, the gas or inertia, i just know pumps. Thanks again.

The Cajun

Thanks. That makes me feel better. As far as the SBE 2. I read a forum yesterday that said the SBE's jam because they are inertia drive instead of gas and that any little dirt or anything that gets in there will cause it to jam because of the way the system works. Any input on that. Like i said, im new to autos and not too familiar with them, the gas or inertia, i just know pumps. Thanks again.

The Cajun

Read that on the internet didja?:D IMHO, that is a bunch of bull. If anything, the inertia driven systems stay much cleaner than gas driven guns, period. I have a Benelli Super Sport and I seldom, if ever, see much in the way of crud in the chamber or on the rails. Most of the crap goes right out the barrel. I have also never had any type of failure in over 4000 rounds. The inertia system is great. Just break it in right and you are good to go.;)

The recoil is more felt when compared to gas....but the ease of cleaning, fewer parts, very reliable. Guns and ammo aired an episode where they smeared the action with heavy gobs of grease, I forget what else they did to it, but the SBE continued to cycle. Dont expect to run 7/8oz trap loads in it.....(mine will run 1oz reliable). The lightest load recommended is 1 1/8oz . After you take it apart a few times it will be the easiest gun you have ever cleaned.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a super nova, SBEII, and the new Super Vinci. All great guns. If you have access to all three shoot them first. If not, and money is not an issue buy the SBEII or the Super Vinci. If you already have a pump get a semi auto. If you don't like it I'll bet your son will. LOL. I like my Super Vinci the best. What a gun!!!! As to recoil any gun shooting a 3 1/2 inch shell will kick. Look at using 3in with less ounces of lead if you are wanting to minimize recoil. Keep in mind, every action has an equal but opposite reaction.

i dont own a sbe2 but own the supernova and ive shot a good 250 rnds(200 2 3/4 #7.5 bird and 50 2 3/4 1oz slugs) one day and it never gave me a bruise (sore shoulder, but no bruise) so i dont think that should be much of an issue.. never had any problems with the gun either..

If I could afford the SBE2 it would be my first choice, I just ordered a supernova myself which is by far the best pump out there. There's a video on Youtube that shows how their comfortech stocks are miles ahead of all the other manufacturers out there. I can't post links since I'm a newbie, sorry. It's a 9 minute video worth watching