SBE II Break In

rothie097

Im bought a SBE II in Realtree APG 26" Barrel today from Gander Mountain. They matched Bud's Gun Shop at $1382! I know I was happy with that! Now i want to break it in. I know some people believe it to be over rated. Well, Im going to do it anyway just to be sure! My only question is what ammo should I use? I was thinking maybe the 3 1/2" 2oz Remington Nitro Turkey Turkey Loads. These are somewhat inexpenisve and pretty heavy, in my opinion at least. Haha. Any suggestions besides those?

No need to shoot 3.5" ammo to break it in :confused:.....a box or two 1 1/4oz loads will do the trick. After that run a few 1 1/8oz Federal Walmart loads through it and see how it goes. The manual recommended to use heavy game loads for break in. I would be very surprised if the SBE 2 did not cycle well after 2 boxes of the 1 1/4oz loads.

*both my Benelli SBE 2 and Stoeger M3500 only required just a few heavy loads to break in.

"I know some people believe it to be over rated."

The only reason people say Benelli's are overrated, and I've heard them all for the 22 years I've been shooting my SBE, is because they either can't afford a Benelli or they are completely "brand" friendly. (chevy vs ford deal)

I'll take the Benelli inertia action over any gas action, anytime and anyplace. That is just my opinion. Having shot Remingtons, Brownings, Berettas and Smith & Wesson, I've never had my Benelli fail me in the field unlike every one of the brands I've mentioned.

There's no reason to break it in with anything heavier than max dram 1-1/8 oz loads unless you want to.

I just "broke in" my left hand SBE II this weekend shooting Sporting clays. I shot 100 Federal 2 3/4 paper target shells loaded with 3 drams and 1 1/8 of 7 1/2 shot. I also shot 48 2 3/4 "high brass" winchester #6 game loads from walmart. I did not have one malfunction and shot both brands mixed together. I say shoot her as often as you can and that is all the break in you will need.

I bought a used SBE II Left hand at Scheels last fall. I would guess it was broke in. Shot multiple pheasant, huns, tweeties, and a few crows. Last week-end I shot my first two Turkeys of my life. I'm curious what happens if it is not broke in?

If its not broke in, it may not cycle the lighter loads properly......thats all.

Anything that is put together with tight tolerances is prone to be a little sticky until the edges get rounded off, so to speak. You may not have to ''break'' the gun in, per se, but the more that it is shot, the better it will function. By oiling the rails and bolt and such, and shooting shells that are more than the minimum, this will effectively knock those edges off and give you a reliable gun that your son will enjoy for his lifetime, when you are done with it...Mike