Benelli M4 Collapsible Stock $150 shipped NEW

Jackalope33B

I ordered one in February to try out, and it has yet to ship. If the function is poor, I was going to swap parts from an OEM unit.

What I'm interested in knowing is if the retaining pins on the promag stock are the same size as the OEM retaining pins, 'cause that's the only shortcoming I can see with the promag stock, i.e. substandard steel for the retaining pins. IMO, those retaining pins are the only parts which make the promag stock not 'gunfight worthy'.

"3 position collapsible aluminum butt stock with rubber recoil pad replaces fixed stock on Benelli M4 shotguns. Precision injection molded forend is constructed of a glass filled impact modified polymer with picatinny accessory rail at the 6 o’clock position. Forend has mounting points at the 3 & 9 o’clock positions to accept standard AR-15 hand guard rails to mount additional accessories. U.S.A made and sec. 922.R compliant. "

is how they advertize the collapsible stock http://www.promagindustries.com/product-p/pm253.htm

I haven't seen the packaging in person so I can comment beyond what I've read.

I had the opportunity to see one of the Promag collapsible stocks just recently. I might not be the right person to evaluate the Promag c-stock because I have never seen the OEM Benelli c-stock in person, but from what I have seen it seems to be a pretty well built M4 accessory. I did not have the opportunity to shoot with it, and the owner had just received it recently and hasn't shot it either, but he was impressed, especially since he had only paid about $120 for it. That's a lot less than the factory Benelli c-stock is going for these days. If the Benelli had been available in the $150 range like it used to be, there would be no comparison, but comparing $120 to the astronomical prices the Benelli stock is going for these days, it might be worth considering.

From what I could see in handling it, it worked pretty well. It was easy to change position and at each position it locked firmly in place. There is a slight amount of play, but from what I've read that is in the OEM Benelli c-stock also. I would have to be able to shoot it over a long period of time to see how it holds up over the long haul, but my initial impression is positive.

The frame has a semi-gloss finish on it that appears to be a powder coating and it seems to be of high quality. It doesn't match the finish found on the metal parts of the M4 itself, but then I don't know if the OEM Benelli does either. It might be jumping the gun, since I haven't shot it yet and have no idea of how it will hold up, but so far I'm impressed, especially at it's price point.

The packaging states that it "MAY BE ASSEMBLED FROM DOMESTIC AND IMPORTED COMPONENTS", but doesn't specify which components were US made and which ones might be foreign made. There is no mention of the c-stock being 922 compliant or not. There is no "made in USA" stamping or labeling anywhere that I could find of the c-stock. The butt pad does have the Promag logo on it.

I'm including 2 pictures of the original packaging so that you can see for yourself what it looks like and what it specified. I guess everyone is going to have to make up their own mind on this product. If I could choose, I would pick the OEM Benelli, but since it isn't available to the general public unless you pay the inflated market prices, I'm sure that many will choose to go with the more reasonably priced Promag. Time will tell if that was the right decision or not.

Maybe i'm being too harsh by calling it a piece of junk...maybe not. It definitely had the look and feel of a foreign made part even though it does say "USA made". Maybe there's some loophole where they can get away with saying that if it's only assembled in the USA? I have no idea.

My biggest problem with the stock was that every time I fired a high brass shell, it would come out of the locked position and get jammed up on the buffer tube - to the point where I would have to forcefully try and get it unstuck. I'm pretty sure this was due to a cheaply made retaining pin. Another issue was, whatever paint or coating they used was starting to flake off, exposing bare metal. I didn't even use the forend grip, not only because it looked like ass, but because the fitment was so poor. Oh, the screws they used to attach the cheek riser with looked like some old used screws they had in their parts bin and just painted over the damaged threads...one of them didn't even match!

So, yeah - it's a piece of junk, not worth $200! Now that I have my genuine Benelli c-stock, the quality difference is night and day...maybe not worth the $500 I paid for it, but it's what I wanted all along and I'm happy.

here's a quick video of the promag failing...

th_67929913-A0DB-4861-88E9-E05AB36A7885-11639-000012E4C95051DA_zpsf03eb175.jpg

​LOL .... That's sucks but reading this was funny !!! OEM Parts is the way to GO.

Maybe i'm being too harsh by calling it a piece of junk...maybe not. It definitely had the look and feel of a foreign made part even though it does say "USA made". Maybe there's some loophole where they can get away with saying that if it's only assembled in the USA? I have no idea.

My biggest problem with the stock was that every time I fired a high brass shell, it would come out of the locked position and get jammed up on the buffer tube - to the point where I would have to forcefully try and get it unstuck. I'm pretty sure this was due to a cheaply made retaining pin. Another issue was, whatever paint or coating they used was starting to flake off, exposing bare metal. I didn't even use the forend grip, not only because it looked like ass, but because the fitment was so poor. Oh, the screws they used to attach the cheek riser with looked like some old used screws they had in their parts bin and just painted over the damaged threads...one of them didn't even match!

So, yeah - it's a piece of junk, not worth $200! Now that I have my genuine Benelli c-stock, the quality difference is night and day...maybe not worth the $500 I paid for it, but it's what I wanted all along and I'm happy.

Just pathetic.

th_67929913-A0DB-4861-88E9-E05AB36A7885-11639-000012E4C95051DA_zpsf03eb175.jpgJust pathetic.

WOW.....I have had 0 issues with mine. I have fired at least 1200 rds through it without a problem and I like shooting fast as well. I do have a vertical grip on my forend and let my left hand absorb most of the recoil (not the c-stock). All 3 notches seem to seat positively and when I shoot I have it fully opened.

I have heard where people are complaining about the finish chipping, but mine is not. Mine has absolutely 0 chips. IMO it looks awesome, it is a slightly different color than the M4. Pro Mag advertises a "Lifetime Warranty", my advise is send it back !!

Edited by Zeke

I have already sent it back to Promag for a refund and I have the genuine Benelli c-stock on my M4 now.

The Promag did seem to work fine for about the first 100 rounds or so, but after it came out of the locked position that first time, it started failing after pretty much every round fired. This was extremely frustrating (and unsafe).

As far as the finish, the Promag has more of a satin painted sheen to it while the Benelli has a nice uniformed matte finish, which looks like a durable powder coat.

My Promag started to chip once the locking pin failed. You can see the chipped paint around the rim in the below pic.

null_zpsa0297eb1.jpg

I guess I must have just got one of the defective units - if you've shot 1200 problem free rounds through yours, looks like they must have corrected this issue.