SBE II 24" or 28"

carstmbc

Someone tell me the difference between the 24", 26", or 28" SBE II. Is it preference?, or is there a performance issue?

The difference is 2 inches between each barrel length which does not affect the guns performance or the ammunitions ballistics in any way. Barrel length is strictly a preference issue, nothing more or less.:D

depending on where you will be doing most of your hunting should determine the length. If you are hunting mostly open field go with the 28. in a blind for turkey the 24. Both field and blind the 26. of coarse if money is no object I'd buy all three simply because I love guns

There will be slight pattern and velocity differences with the longer barrel length showing a slight gain in MV. The longer lengths will be easier to find a choke to get desired patterns for turkey loads if you want to use it for turkey hunting. That said, I would base your decision on the one that feels the best when you shoulder it.

My personal choice is the 28".

I have owned/hunted with 28", 26", & 24" SBE/SBE II shotguns. The first SBE I picked up in 1990-1991 had a 28" barrel with wood furniture because that was all they offered. The wood butt stock shattered from the repeated recoil of the 3.5" loads so HK/Benelli replaced the furniture with the then-new synthetic. The 28" SBE with an extended turkey choke installed was a bit on the long side. A few months later, HK/Benelli offered a 26" SBE with synthetic furniture. So I picked out a new 26" SBE for myself and gave the 28" SBE to one of the other hunters in the group. Both 28" and 26" SBEs patterned well right out of the box and killed geese better than any other 12ga. we tried out (almost as well as the Ithaca/Browning/Remington 10ga. shotguns we had available). I picked up a 24" SBE II for a dedicated turkey gun a couple months back but will keep the 26" SBE for ducks. Both 26" & 24" barrels have been ported & had their force cones lengthened/polished by Briley & Rob Roberts respectively. Both barrels pattern in the low to high 90s %@40yds. with the 24" SBE II patterning 98.4%@40yds. with the Federal FliteControl Heavyweight #7 turkey load. IMO, the 24" SBE/SBE II is by far the best barrel length for a turkey gun with the 26" SBE/SBE II being the best for an all-around shotgun.

Best of luck!

Edited by leid

Ok I got it fellas. I got a used 26 SBE II from Scheels and have shot multiple pheasants, huns, Ducks, Tweeties, and two Turkeys since last year. I'm thinking of getting a new one(why I don't know, just have to have it). I shoot left hand and the Scheels guy said get this and try it for all the things I want to hunt. Guess what, he was right I could not go wrong. OK now I think I better get the new 24 to complement the used 26.

I like short barrels because I quail hunt and going through briars and woodlands seems like it hangs up less and weighs a little less. Also shoot doves. Love the 24 in. M2 20ga. Also like the SBE II 26 in, but it seems like it is 28 in, but it still is a wonderful pointer and shooter. Great guns in any length. Just a matter of preference.