To forend light my M1 with Surefire or not?

onehundredll

I'm in a great internal debate. Based on my own poking around these forums, seems like a high end front stock light (like the surefire 617 FA LM xx) is a desired mod for the home defense shotgun. I would say about 70% favor it, maybe 25% don't, and 5% don't know/care.

What say you? It's not chump change, so I don't want to spend 2 to 3 hundred and then not be satisfied.

do you retain the two washers with the original forearm on the surefire installation?

You are referring to the forearm washers, correct? There should be (1) wave (spring) washer sandwiched in between (1 or 2) flat washers in your OEM Benelli M1 forearm retained by the outer forearm ring. Surefire supplies a wave washer with instructions to use it in back of the front forearm bushing of the 617LM forearm when used on the M1 only. The OEM forearms washers of both types I have measured & the one supplied by Surefire are all the same thickness at 0.060".

Edited by leid

I bought one, mounted it, hated it, never fired it, sold it, bought a Surefire scout light, a barrel/mag/rail mount, blasted away. LOVE IT!

It was heavy, not bright, and rattled like a pump. Slap a gen 1 scout light on there (with the letter "A" as the first letter in the SF Scout head serial number) and you will have an amazing bright, light weight light with a great spill flood for shotgun work.

I bought one, mounted it, hated it, never fired it, sold it, bought a Surefire scout light, a barrel/mag/rail mount, blasted away. LOVE IT!

It was heavy, not bright, and rattled like a pump. Slap a gen 1 scout light on there (with the letter "A" as the first letter in the SF Scout head serial number) and you will have an amazing bright, light weight light with a great spill flood for shotgun work.

This is my second Surefire weapons forend; the other one is an M500A 225 lumen weapons forend on an M16A2 carbine which has performed flawlessly for almost 10 years now. I would not have a weapons forend light that was not tight/quiet and VERY bright. The 200 lumen 617LM will light up your target extremely well at 50yds PLUS; more like 100yds. Bad actors, both 2 legged & 4 legged, will look like they are on a Broadway stage. But I did have to add a 0.025" SS shim to help the 617LM forend fit completely tight & keep it absolutely motionless/noiseless. Surefire should furnish a few 0.010" shims in addition to the 0.060 wave washer supplied with their 617LM weapon's forearm kit to help fit individual Benelli M1/M2 shotguns. JMO

Edited by leid