SBE II, 28" bbl, Rhino 0.660", H-13 3.5" #7's pattern

drenalinld

I shot the 2-1/4 oz #7 hevi's yesterday afternoon. The temp was 70 deg and the humidity was 100%. At a lasered 40 yards, the results on three consecutive shots through a fouled barrel were 292, 273, and 270 in a 10" circle. An average of 278 is not bad, but not what I was hoping for. I will test again with a clean barrel. If I can get it above 300, i will test it at 60 yards.

I pulled up stats from when I patterned my gun 2 years ago. I got an average of 322 at 40 yards with 3 shots, got 210 @ 50 yards, 160 @ 60 yards (clean barrel between shots). Before forcing cone worked on I got 281 @ 40. My choke is a .650 custom made choke. I think if you get your forcing cone lengthened it may get you in the 300's. It worked for me. Call rob roberts that is who worked on my gun.

I pulled up stats from when I patterned my gun 2 years ago. I got an average of 322 at 40 yards with 3 shots, got 210 @ 50 yards, 160 @ 60 yards (clean barrel between shots). Before forcing cone worked on I got 281 @ 40. My choke is a .650 custom made choke. I think if you get your forcing cone lengthened it may get you in the 300's. It worked for me. Call rob roberts that is who worked on my gun.

Do you shoot the beads or some sort of optics? What's your barrel length? Thanks again for your input. I saw on another thread you also have a super vinci. How do you like it compared to the SBEII?

I use my Super Vinci as my waterfowl and field gun and have now designated my sbe2 as a true turkey gun. Nikon scope, 28in, lengthened forcing cone and polished, ported, rhino choke, and bought a pistol grip for it. Between the sbe2 and the super vinci I go with the Super Vinci. I hear a lot of people say the sbe2 is tried and true, that is true. Given time the Vinci line will be too. The super vinci shoulders better for me and the recovery time for the next shot is better for me also. and cleaning is a breeze.

Back to having the forcing cone lengthened, If you designate a gun for a true turkey gun, go ahead and have the barrel ported. It will help with the muzzle jump, in turn help with your patterns. Any gunsmith can lengthen and polish your forcing cone. But if you have it ported get rob roberts to do that, so might as well have them do all the work. Instead of drilling the port holes they use electrical discharge. Much better for your gun barrel.

This weekend I was able to take 2 turkeys, 1 at 56, and another at 64. I shoot a SBEII with a jellyhead choke and 3.5in 2 1/4 hevi 13 #6.

Also, the 1 3/4 oz hevi 13 are no good!!! Make sure you get the 2 1/4oz.

Don't know if that helps.

This weekend I was able to take 2 turkeys, 1 at 56, and another at 64. I shoot a SBEII with a jellyhead choke and 3.5in 2 1/4 hevi 13 #6.

Also, the 1 3/4 oz hevi 13 are no good!!! Make sure you get the 2 1/4oz.

Don't know if that helps.

Congrats on the thunder chickens. I shoot 1.75oz Hevi-13 with a great pattern at measured 40yds and they drop turkeys at 40yds no problem. I dont know what they do at 60+yds as never tried to pattern or much less shoot a turkey at that distance. The 1.75oz Hevi-13 work great for me.

I would have to agree with the 1 3/4 out to 50 I thought after patterning them. But the 1st shot I took was with a leftover 1 3/4 at 48 on a standing still bird, hit him but didn't go down.

The second shot was with the 2 1/4 after he landing and was running, knocked him dead at 56.

The third shoot was after I handed my gun to my partner who only had his bow and shot the second bird dead at 64. We misjudged the distance. I wouldn't recommend that distance but after cleaning the bird, it had 5 pellets in the head.

Can you kill birds with the 1 3/4, yes, but for money I'll only buy the 2 1/4 from now on.