Removing the Benelli SuperNova stock support rod

Mesa Tactical

Hey folks,

We have been receiving a number of requests for telescoping recoil stock for the Benelli SuperNova patterned after our popular LEO stocks for the Remington and Mossberg platforms. The only way this would be viable is if the stock support rod in the rear of the SuperNova (that simulates a recoil spring tube in a semi-auto) can be easily removed in the field.

I just tried to remove the nut that is at the base of the rod at the receiver and it doesn't seem to want to come loose. I am pretty sure that, as with the magazine tube, this is never meant to be removed in the field; but I was also wondering whether, as with the magazine tube, there is a secret trick to getting it off. Obviously with a plastic shotgun receiver I am reluctant to apply a lot of heat.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove this without destroying the weapon?

I tried to do the same thing on one of my SNT's and that nut would not budge. I was also reluctant to heat it up for the same reasons. That said, there has to be a way to do it. My guess is that you would need to slowly heat the tube with a low temp heat gun and concentrate the heat a few inches away from the receiver. I suspect that whatever polymer that receiver cover is made of should be able to withstand a little heat but without committing to doing it, the question remains.

I have an OEM C-stock for mine but having a US made option would probably sell very well.

It would be great to have a US made telestock. However, even with a US stock it wont be 922r compliant. How will you get around that ? As soon as you put on a non sporting feature 922r applies. From what I understand it does not matter if it is a pump vs. semi-auto for 922r compliance. You might want to clear this with the BATF before putting a lot of money into this project.

Edited by Dntama

Thanks for the reply, KB.

I spoke indirectly with an LE armorer who said the nut can be removed with heat. Naturally I want to be careful with that, but I will try a heatgun and see what happens.

The demand for this is coming from law enforcement customers, who are far less worried about 922r.

I spoke indirectly with an LE armorer who said the nut can be removed with heat. Naturally I want to be careful with that, but I will try a heatgun and see what happens.

The demand for this is coming from law enforcement customers, who are far less worried about 922r.

Well that is good to know and I suspected as much. Given that the receiver is made like it is, care also needs to be taken in how it's held while attempting this. If you wanted, you could go by a welding store and pick up a temp. crayon to help with the heat. I was thinking that it should be able to handle 150-200 degrees for the short time you would need to soften the loctite. The crayon will tell you when it's reached temp so you don't cook the thing.

Let us know how it goes.

In that case why not just design a stock to fit the rod. It already has notches on it for the Benelli tele stock. In fact why not just by the telestock from Benelli ?