M4 - OEM collapsible stock vs Urbino Tacticle Stock

stealle

I purchased a Benelli M4 11707. I plan to purchase the CC extension tube. I was also planning on the Benelli 70085 collapsible stock. However, I stumbled upon the Urbino Tactical Stock and it looks really nice. I am considering an Eotech sight so the cheek riser would probably be helpful. So here are my questions...

1. Which stock do you prefer? Why? (aside from the obvious price difference and 922 ®.

2. Any known issues with the Urbino Tactical Stock? Does the cheek riser feel "solid" when fully extended? Does it move at all with a firm cheek weld or with recoil?

3 Where is the best place to buy the Urbino Tactical Stock?

4. Where is the best place for a civilian to buy the Benelli collapsible stock?

I have both. The urbino is installed for 922r purposes until the geissele trigger becomes available. The stocks feel similar in comfort, but the factory collapsable unit seems slightly heavier. The cheek riser is solid at any height and the ability to use a recoil absorbing pad is nice as well. I have nothing to complain about on the Urbino, but will ultimately change stocks for the collapsable feature and look (as bad as that sounds). From an improved usability standpoint the Mesa product is very good. I bought my collapsable unit from a guy here on this forum but won't be installing it permanently until there are enough 922r components for full compliance.

Edited by Smokin

The whole 922r hijinks kills me. Especially when you compare domestic manufacturers to imports. The entire things make zero sense. And how about the fact a bunch of LE/Gov. are walking around with a personal weapon on which the stock was switched without parts "hide and go seek"?

Swap a part here, add a part there. Aaaah.

So to add a collapsible stock, which allows the multiple shooters in my house to comfortably and more safely use the weapon, I need to find other parts to swap out? In what universe does that make sense?

OK rant portion over. I have a friend with the Urbino. He likes it for all of the same reasons the previous poster mentioned.

If you want to use the sights avoid the C-stock. For a "gee whiz" look and impressing the college boys at the range the C-stock is wonderful. Probably works well on the skeet range.

The Benelli C-stock (telestock) is the fully extended position is waaaaaaaaaaaay too long for shooting anything other than skeet even in street clothing. (Fully extended it's the same length as the commercial fixed stock, which is also way too long.) Add a jacket or body armor and it's even longer.

Close it to the middle position and the length is quite nice. The sights are, unfortunately, unusable in this position! I found this totally unsatisfactory and removed the telestock and fitted the Mesa Urbino which has the best pull length for me and allows use of the sights. Not as "kool" looking as the C-stock I admit.

The photo shows the two stock lengths. The mid position of the C-stock is like the Urbino (right), but the Urbino stock allows the use of the sights -- a not inconsequential benefit.

43659662-IMG_2010_12_24_0504_c.JPG

-- Chuck

It's funny, I don't have any problems using the ghost ring sights with my c-stock in the middle position.

I find it very difficult to use the irons with the stock in the intermediate position. It is perfect for a mounted optic, and I can use the irons in a pinch ... But that intermediate position is definitely not conducive to a good posture with iron sites.

If you want to use the sights avoid the C-stock. For a "gee whiz" look and impressing the college boys at the range the C-stock is wonderful. Probably works well on the skeet range.

The Benelli C-stock (telestock) is the fully extended position is waaaaaaaaaaaay too long for shooting anything other than skeet even in street clothing. (Fully extended it's the same length as the commercial fixed stock, which is also way too long.) Add a jacket or body armor and it's even longer.

Close it to the middle position and the length is quite nice. The sights are, unfortunately, unusable in this position! I found this totally unsatisfactory and removed the telestock and fitted the Mesa Urbino which has the best pull length for me and allows use of the sights. Not as "kool" looking as the C-stock I admit.

The photo shows the two stock lengths. The mid position of the C-stock is like the Urbino (right), but the Urbino stock allows the use of the sights -- a not inconsequential benefit.

43659662-IMG_2010_12_24_0504_c.JPG

-- Chuck

The Urbino is sounding better and better to me. BTW, It doesn't look like you have a cheek riser on that Urbino. Seems like you would need the riser to get a good cheek weld with sites such as the Eotech. Guess not?

BTW, It doesn't look like you have a cheek riser on that Urbino. Seems like you would need the riser to get a good cheek weld with sites such as the Eotech. Guess not?

The down-and-dirty truth about parallax-free prismatic non-magnified optics: Cheekweld isn't a requirement. While it helps tremendously for medium to long-rang shots--to ensure that the firearm is held steady--the type of sight does not require alignment to ensure precise hits on a target.

ETA: If your optic isn't parallax-free and/or if it is magnified, you'd still need some form of cheekweld. I can't see the photo to tell what Chuck has because I'm behind a proxy server.

Edited by LeoAtrox

1) The OEM C-Stock. No Benelli M4 is complete without it. Fully extended position for the ghost ring sights, middle position for small reflex sights (i.e. Aimpoint Micro, Trijicon RMR, etc...) and fully collapsed for storage.

2) The Urbino stock I purchased directly from Mesa Tactical (Mfg.# 91470) had a problem with the pistol grip rubber sleeve. It came loose after just minor handling once installed on my shotgun. I returned it for a full refund. The cheek riser is quite solid and the Limbsaver recoil pad is pretty comfortable. If you insist on going with an EoTech sight - too tall and bulky IMO for the M4 - you'll find the cheek riser feature useful.

3) Lowest price I could find from a quick Google search was from New Frontier Armory @ $132.60 They have a sizeable stock, but I've never purchased anything from them so I can't provide any feedback. MidwayUSA and Brownells sell them @ $149.99 but are out of stock at the moment.

4) Try GunBroker, they pop up from time to time at decent prices. If a smooth transaction and super fast shipping is what you want, our fellow member heckler&kochp2000 is the one you need to contact for this item.

Edited by Atrox-Venator
Spelling

If you want the short LOP for irons, get the Urbino. If you plan to use an optic, either will work fine, but I prefer the look, style and function of the factory collapsible stock. In the middle of collapsed position, you will not be able to use the iron sights very comfortably due to the change in riser height as the stock moves along the recoil tube.

c015.jpg?t=1306435858

I prefer the look, style and function...
Function is paramount. As in actually shooting the critter with iron sights. :)

I wish my mutual funds appreciated as much as the Benelli C-stock did the past six months!

Anyway, beware of the mid length position if you intend to use the iron sights. See if you can find one with the stock mounted and test fire (or even dry fire). I was extremely disappointed as soon as I brought the shotgun up to my shoulder in ANY position.

-- Chuck