Home Defense Ammo for Benelli M4

stealle

I am looking for some shells for my new M4. Based on threads in some of the other forums out there, I figure Federal 00 buckshot is a good option. I have been looking primarily a couple varieties of Federal brand:

Federal Law Enforcement Tactical Flitecontrol 8 pellet OO Buckshot (LE133-00)

Federal Vital-Shok Flite-control 9 pellet OO Buckshot (PFC15400)

Should I have concerns about FTF with "low-recoil" ammo in the M4?

Also, the above ammo touts "the tightest buckshot patterns available" with the "FliteControl" wad. Is that really a good idea for home defense? Seems like you would want a wider pattern. I figure that a target in the home will probably be less than 20 feet. Not to mention, the M4 has a choke tube. Should I be using shells that tout "the tightest buckshot patterns available, without expensive barrel alterations or aftermarket choke tubes".

I purchased what I thought to be the "best" home defense shotgun available so I want to shoot the best ammo available as well. Anyway, I'd like to hear some experiences with the above ammo and some alternative suggestions if there is anything better out there. For my home defense ammo, price will not be an issue. However, I would like to get some recommendations on more affordable target shooting ammo as well. Thanks!

Edited by stealle

Any American made 00 Buck should be more than adequate at 20'. Try a few different kinds at the range and see what works best for you and your M4. Ammo selection isn't the kind of advice you want to take from a stranger. A little research and some time at the firing line will help you make a decision.

If you do a search there have been several threads on buckshot and slug choices.

I think any quality buckshot that is plated will work. Even low recoil.

I've fed mine the cheap slugs/buckshot from walmart with zero issues of any kind.

In my experience, the flitecontrol wads don't offer much advantage out of the M4's factory modified choke.

I use Federal LE127OO and they work great. They have the flight control wad and I've found it to give me the tightest groups. Yes, you want tight groups, forget about that huge spread "scatter gun" hype. My M4 at 15' will leave a grouping about the size of a fist, at 25' about the size of an open hand. APPROX. Also, these are pretty cheap when you buy them in bulk online. Good luck!

I use Federal LE127OO and they work great. They have the flight control wad and I've found it to give me the tightest groups. Yes, you want tight groups, forget about that huge spread "scatter gun" hype. My M4 at 15' will leave a grouping about the size of a fist, at 25' about the size of an open hand. APPROX. Also, these are pretty cheap when you buy them in bulk online. Good luck!

Where do you buy LE127 00 buckshot? I find very few retailers online. What I did find is sold out. Also, it looks to me like the

Federal PFC15400 (mentioned in my first post) is probably the same as LE127 00 only it doesn't have the word "Tactical" on the box/shell. What do you think?

Where do you buy LE127 00 buckshot? I find very few retailers online. What I did find is sold out. Also, it looks to me like the

Federal PFC15400 (mentioned in my first post) is probably the same as LE127 00 only it doesn't have the word "Tactical" on the box/shell. What do you think?

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/cPath/120_259_205/products_id/1423

I buy it in bulk...

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/250-federal-le12700-buck-shot-high-power-ammo

Pretty fast shipping too.

Yes, it's basically the same, it is high power OO buck 9 pellet with flight control wad. Order online in bulk and save a lot of $$.

15 yards (45 feet) unmodified M4 Shotgun. All 9 pellets well within the intended point of impact. Standing. In the snow on December 11 last year. Ya gotta aim a shotgun unless you're filming a Hollywood movie...

88714192-M4_15.JPG

Note shotgun pellets will penetrate walls of you miss.

-- Chuck

Since the thread is Home Defense, a critical factor is if you have anyone in the home with you (kids) and if you have any close neighbors.

IMO slugs have no place in a HD scenario if you have anyone else in your house. The penetration potential is obvious and potentially tragic. There's no reason that I can think of that would require 20 yard shots in a home.

Edited by m4p226n

I guess I will throw my .02 in here.

00 will sometimes penetrate a 2x4 made of white pine.

000 almost always will, but will not have a whole lot left after the experience. Maybe enough to go into another 2x4 a few cm.

At 20', unless you are using the crappiest un-buffered junk you can find, you should be keeping it all WELL within the size of the average torso.

Soft slugs (like the Remington Foster type) will fragment violently at close range on hydraulic or hard targets, especially the lighter "high velocity" slugs. They "turn inside out" and you are left with a doughnut that fragments and a center section shaped like a pancake. This is why they suck against such critters as bears/other things that need a DEEP hole punched in them at closer ranges where they deform so wildly.

Flite Control out of the M4's I have shot it in will hold a great pattern until about 20 yards, where upon it will spread out the same/worse than buckshot you have taken the time to find the right choke for.

I have found larger shot patterns best. It usually likes a IC or MOD choke. Full will do okay out to 15 yards or so, but on longer shots the deformed pellets will destroy any semblance of a pattern.

Out to about 20-25 yards all of the M4's I have owned will keep Remington's 8-pellet 000 Buck 2.75" load in a 10-14" circle once I figure out which choke they like (Some liked MOD, some IC. I have owned several M4's). Federal also makes a cartridge in the classic line that has buffer AND an enclosed shot-cup in 000 BUCK. I have found it to perform similar to the remingtons, but without the waterproofing and at the penalty of being slightly longer, physically.

Anyway, as much as people complain about buckshot penetrating, it's a dismal penetrator. You need at least 00 buck usually to centerpunch a person, and barriers? Well, it sucks. I have shot car doors (metal, circa 1980's) that soaked up buckshot up to magnum 00 velocity (1300+fps) or 000 size. The 000 did very well out to about 40-50 yards. The 00 high velocity stuff did okay out to about 30-40. Still, not much coming out the other side. Buckshot just doesn't do so hot. It's soft, and it has crap for sectional density. All those pictures of gel-blocks showing 20+" of penetration from 00 buck are known to have been fired in gel that was 15-20% "thinner" than commonly spec'ed gel and no correction factor was applied. You know what I'm talking about, that huge repository of gel-shots for 12ga ammo that shows up time to time.

#4 buckshot only in appartments. At point-blank it wouldn't do more than dent the car door and getting it to go through a 2x4 is a muzzle-contact proposition. According to those I have spoken with on the matter (MD Roberts), 7-11" penetration is the most you will get on a warm body, with 7-8 being more normal than 11. Then factor in that I live in a state full of fatties who get cold in 70* weather and like to bundle up and you have a recipe for fail. Missed/unaccounted for pellets are more liable to harm than over-penetrating pellets, and larger shot patterns tighter. Make mine 00 or 000.

Anyway, just my observations. Enjoy in good health.

Edited by Unobtanium

Hey Unobtanium... I'm a fatty and 7" penetration of #4 buckshot would definately ruin my entire day/month/year/life....

00 Buckshot and foster slugs passing through me would make a horrible mess on my white walls behind me, and I'M not cleaning it up !

Here are your best choices:

1) First round in your trusty olde M4 should be a Dragon Breath. Talk about "light up my life"! That will get your adversaries attention and burn away any winter clothing, ski mask or flesh, they may be utilizing.

2) Next two rounds should be Flechetts, to let your house breaker know he has ruined your day with his silly B&E antics and you truly want to ruin his day.

3) With the smoldering , schedded intruder standing in front of you totally in shock, the next 3 rounds out of your M4 smoke pole, should be #7.5 birdshot, then #8, quickly followed by a #9, so that no doctor ever born, including the infamous Dr. House will have a chance in haiddies of removing any of the pellets and forever ruining the attacker's chance of passing threw a TSA airport screening.

4) And the last piece of punishment from your M4 portable death machine, should be an ounce of powered lead fired into the often over rated man part of his body, just in case he is wearing a chastidy belt and you want to pop it open.

There you have it. The proper ammunition in the proper order

Caution: The use of Dragon's Breath in a hall way with many curtains, draperies and other easily flammable items, may cause charring !!

[quote=SgtCathy;154862

Caution: The use of Dragon's Breath in a hall way with many curtains, draperies and other easily flammable items, may cause charring !!

You forgot to explain the proper use of tactical flaming curtains to illuminate the intruder. And don't forget the technique of burning everything you own so it can't get stolen.

"Tactical Flaming Curtains" ??? I Love it !!! Why didn't I think of that? Maybe because when I was typing that response, I was laughing to much. And of course if you follow my instructions and proper use of the aforementioned ammunition, your day in court will be a lot less stressful with the judge, jury, prosecutor and all court room visitors laughing till they cry. The fire chief testifying on your behave about putting out flaming curtains will have them rolling in the hallways.

Of course you could use 00 buckshot or Foster slugs, but then the jury will think your're a sadist and ex-Russian Mafia with a hatred of the American judicial system. Innocent until all the fleshettes have been removed!!