I miss my M4S90 : /

Unobtanium

I am not sorry I sold it, it provided that extra little bit of down-payment on my Z06, but I want another one. You just CANNOT beat an M4S90 for laying down a wall of lead, dropping a slug on target out to 200+ yards (Yes, I was slamming the 200 yard gongs iron-sights at the range much to the range-officer's surprise.), or launching a tight cloud of large buckshot into some unfortunate watermelon.

Anyway, all the right parts are out now for me to do what I originally wanted to do with my M4S90 but could not due to parts availability. The right parts simply did not exist. Now they do.

It will take me a month or two to put things together, no peeking until then. Pix posted in this thread when I'm done.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knew you would be back. Is this number 3 or 4?

I'm predicting a Urbino stock and a slew of carriercomp parts (top rail, ti tube, spring, follower)

Urbino has flaws. I don't like flaws. Poor fit/finish and a crappy grip from what I understand. Pic when its done. I have about $1K/mo to dedicate to the project. It will take a few months.

*This is #4. I figured I would get it now, in lieu of this: http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/012611-study-on-importality-of-certain-shotguns.pdf

Edited by Unobtanium

I got one for sale with alot of oem extras that I spent years putting together. Pm me if interested. Bet you love your Z06. I miss my corvette but can't fit the family.

I have everything I need but the weapon, and I am quirky. I prefer to buy new weapons regardless of the condition of the pre-owned weapon. I actually did have to use Benelli's warranty once (new barrel) and it was quick. I am not sure how it would go with a pre-owned weapon.

The Z06 is a blast. Nothing like having over 500hp and still getting 26mpg on the highway.

Get pulled over yet with the Z06?

I agree with the assessment of the Urbino. However, if using iron sights, it's the best way to go to get the shorter LOP. On hte middle position with the collapsible stock, the irons aren't very comfortable. It is ideal for an optic though.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your new baby too Unobtanium!

I've been away from the site for awhile myself but hope to be getting back to some Benelli building business again soon as well.

Hey StrangerDanger! Long time no see...Did you obtain and test an Urbino?

Later,

Hookster :)

Get pulled over yet with the Z06?

I agree with the assessment of the Urbino. However, if using iron sights, it's the best way to go to get the shorter LOP. On hte middle position with the collapsible stock, the irons aren't very comfortable. It is ideal for an optic though.

Nope, I run a V1 integrated with my HUD/DIC system and it's very awesome.

On the middle position with the OEM stock + irons I bruise my jaw. I have to extend to the full position when I go to irons. BTDT with an optic before (before the mount sheared the foot to **** and my zero kept changing and I noticed).

Same SOP for the collapsible stock I have. I don't run irons very often anymore. I go between collapsed and middle. After HK tried to buy his way into the rapture by being a good christian and selling collapsible stocks at 265 shipped for a few months, I couldn't pass one up. It forced me to address the fact that my 11703 had the m1014 non-collapsible recoil tube. So I sourced a 3 position tube from Numrich Arms and swapped them out. Not an easy job, but not impossible either.

I handled the Urbino for quite a while at SHOT this year. I think it is a good start, but it is in need of a ergonomic revision. The pistol grip is boxy. I know you can put the OEM grip on it, but that is besides the point. That isn't a 100% fix either. I didn't care for the disassembly manner. The tool-less disassembly is one of the key features of the Benelli platform. The cheek riser needed the rubber butt pad to be removed to adjust it. I guess it won't be moving on you unless you want it to, but this still seems mickey mouse.

The carriercomp rail is a must for optics. Just looking at it, you can tell that it was engineered properly. It's in spec and should hold up to whatever you intend to throw at it. It sits lower than all the other manufacturers top rails, ie: Sidearmor, Mesa Tactical and so on... The height is kept at the factory picatinny rail height. This keeps your iron sights clear of obstruction.

I wouldn't mount overly heavy optics on the M4 since the mounting holes are in thin aluminum. I've put about 150 slugs through this combo. 250 buck and about 300 high brass birdshot. Nothing has moved. Nothing has loosened (I mark my screws with a grease pencil).

I revised my weapon light as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]626[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]627[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]628[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]629[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]630[/ATTACH]pencil.png

Edited by StrangerDanger

Same SOP for the collapsible stock I have. I don't run irons very often anymore. I go between collapsed and middle. After HK tried to buy his way into the rapture by being a good christian and selling collapsible stocks at 265 shipped for a few months, I couldn't pass one up. It forced me to address the fact that my 11703 had the m1014 non-collapsible recoil tube. So I sourced a 3 position tube from Numrich Arms and swapped them out. Not an easy job, but not impossible either.

I handled the Urbino for quite a while at SHOT this year. I think it is a good start, but it is in need of a ergonomic revision. The pistol grip is boxy. I know you can put the OEM grip on it, but that is besides the point. That isn't a 100% fix either. I didn't care for the disassembly manner. The tool-less disassembly is one of the key features of the Benelli platform. The cheek riser needed the rubber butt pad to be removed to adjust it. I guess it won't be moving on you unless you want it to, but this still seems mickey mouse.

The carriercomp rail is a must for optics. Just looking at it, you can tell that it was engineered properly. It's in spec and should hold up to whatever you intend to throw at it. It sits lower than all the other manufacturers top rails, ie: Sidearmor, Mesa Tactical and so on... The height is kept at the factory picatinny rail height. This keeps your iron sights clear of obstruction.

I wouldn't mount overly heavy optics on the M4 since the mounting holes are in thin aluminum. I've put about 150 slugs through this combo. 250 buck and about 300 high brass birdshot. Nothing has moved. Nothing has loosened (I mark my screws with a grease pencil).

I revised my weapon light as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]626[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]627[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]628[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]629[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]630[/ATTACH]pencil.png

is the M80 rail re-designed where it will not hit pistons on the 11707?

Yeah, hasn't been an issue for me and my 11707 barrel assembly. Factory fore-end is more comfortable though. It's adequate with the Larue index clips though.

Did they change things to alleviate the piston-binding issue? I remember it used to be quite the hot topic.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/15449-Surefire-M80-Rails-on-M4-M1014?highlight=M80+piston

^Pix of problem included. Does your rail look to have been re-designed since this iteration?

Apparently *something* has changed.

'11 M80

004.jpg?1298019064

Early '09/Late '08 M80:

ckty9r

Note: Here can be seen some issue with the old version:

This is the result of 150 rounds over 3 hours. (not sure how fast they were fired and if it was 100 rounds in 5 minutes and the rest over the rest of the time or what, though).

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/DanHuu1225/IMG_0056.jpg

Edited by Unobtanium

The rubber portion of the newer M80 has been modified so there is less contact with the piston area. It still rests on the ARGO plugs, but no where near the pistons themselves. I've got about 750 rounds through it with it on. No issues arose. The issue with the M80 is the comfort. For me, it comes down to needing a weapon light. So I live with it. I tried the AFG on the bottom, but didn't care for it.

The rubber portion of the newer M80 has been modified so there is less contact with the piston area. It still rests on the ARGO plugs, but no where near the pistons themselves. I've got about 750 rounds through it with it on. No issues arose. The issue with the M80 is the comfort. For me, it comes down to needing a weapon light. So I live with it. I tried the AFG on the bottom, but didn't care for it.

Have you dumped ammo through it rapid-fire for 50-100 rounds? Does the rubber contacting the barrel cause issue? I have seen that even the new M80 does not fit correct and needs dremeling. What's up with that?

I would run with a TD VFG stubby and some good rail covers if I bought.

Yeah, I've done quite a bit of rapid fire through it. To the point that the barrel cannot be touched. the rubber does touch the barrel, but it is a vulcanized rubber that doesn't seem to melt or burn. I'd imagine you'd have to reach a much higher temperature before it would begin to deform.

Choosing rail covers can be tricky. I opted for the smallest overall diameter possible other than just running ladder rail covers.

Yeah, I've done quite a bit of rapid fire through it. To the point that the barrel cannot be touched. the rubber does touch the barrel, but it is a vulcanized rubber that doesn't seem to melt or burn. I'd imagine you'd have to reach a much higher temperature before it would begin to deform.

Choosing rail covers can be tricky. I opted for the smallest overall diameter possible other than just running ladder rail covers.

How is the fit? I have read a lot about people filing/cutting even with the new M80.

No real fitting issues. Once you learn how to install it, it is actually easier than the factory handguards. When you pull the barrel, it stays attached to the barrel assembly since the argo piston "wings" hold it in place. You pull the rubberized parts apart and slip the M80 off of the barrel assembly. The only thing I guess you could say needs fitting is at the very rear of the M80 where the rubber contacts the barrel. On the newer M4's that have that raised ring around the barrel that seats against the receiver should be hit with a dremel or razor knife to relieve it. You can install it without doing this mod, but cosmetically, it'll look better if you trim it.

There is no venting of gas through the rails either.

It weighs 2.5 ounces more than the factory handguards. Naturally, rail covers and accessories will add to that. A weapon light will add more. If you ride you thumb over the button of my Scout while firing rounds, you risk jamming your thumb. Particularly with hot rounds. You have to hold onto it like you mean it.

The negative I feel is the ergonomics. It's hard to beat the factory hand guard. The nice contoured front end gives you a place to seat your thumb. The M80 feels like holding a soda can or a pringles can.

No real fitting issues. Once you learn how to install it, it is actually easier than the factory handguards. When you pull the barrel, it stays attached to the barrel assembly since the argo piston "wings" hold it in place. You pull the rubberized parts apart and slip the M80 off of the barrel assembly. The only thing I guess you could say needs fitting is at the very rear of the M80 where the rubber contacts the barrel. On the newer M4's that have that raised ring around the barrel that seats against the receiver should be hit with a dremel or razor knife to relieve it. You can install it without doing this mod, but cosmetically, it'll look better if you trim it.

There is no venting of gas through the rails either.

It weighs 2.5 ounces more than the factory handguards. Naturally, rail covers and accessories will add to that. A weapon light will add more. If you ride you thumb over the button of my Scout while firing rounds, you risk jamming your thumb. Particularly with hot rounds. You have to hold onto it like you mean it.

The negative I feel is the ergonomics. It's hard to beat the factory hand guard. The nice contoured front end gives you a place to seat your thumb. The M80 feels like holding a soda can or a pringles can.

So what about all these people whining about their barrels not seating properly?

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php/23523-Surefire-M80-Issue

Buy once, cry once, I am trying to figure out if I want to do this or not : /

It might be an issue with earlier versions? I've handled three of them and installed them on my M4. One in 2009, then two within the past couple months. No issues were encountered. Or they might be installing them on 11701 and 11703 models.

If I recall, they just had to file the leading edge that interfaces with the handguard retention devices fore and aft of the rail.

I modified the rubber portion of my M80 so it would accept a GearSector offset Scout Mount. This got everything about as low profile as could be.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]634[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]635[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]636[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]637[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]638[/ATTACH]

It might be an issue with earlier versions? I've handled three of them and installed them on my M4. One in 2009, then two within the past couple months. No issues were encountered. Or they might be installing them on 11701 and 11703 models.

If I recall, they just had to file the leading edge that interfaces with the handguard retention devices fore and aft of the rail.

I modified the rubber portion of my M80 so it would accept a GearSector offset Scout Mount. This got everything about as low profile as could be.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]634[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]635[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]636[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]637[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]638[/ATTACH]

Looks good!

Have you tried a VFG? Why did you get rid of it, if so?

I tried the AFG1 and AFG2, but didn't care for it. It felt kind of limiting where I had my hand. I dumped it off my MRP too. I haven't tried a VFG yet though, I can steal a LaRue FUG off a buddies gun. I don't really care for it on his MRP, so I figured I wouldn't like it on my Benelli either.

From playing with it and running the light, I felt I needed to be able to slide my hand along the grip. Adding 4 or 5 ounces to the front didn't' sound like a good plan either.

The only real value I'd see is giving you the ability to hold a comfortable VFG vs. the railed forend.

Years ago, I tried one and felt it was way too thick to be comfortable. I was using Magpul XTM's and TangoDown covers. After I took those pictures, I was able to smash two more index clips onto the left side rail next to the light and sling mount. It makes it look a little better.

I tried the AFG1 and AFG2, but didn't care for it. It felt kind of limiting where I had my hand. I dumped it off my MRP too. I haven't tried a VFG yet though, I can steal a LaRue FUG off a buddies gun. I don't really care for it on his MRP, so I figured I wouldn't like it on my Benelli either.

From playing with it and running the light, I felt I needed to be able to slide my hand along the grip. Adding 4 or 5 ounces to the front didn't' sound like a good plan either.

The only real value I'd see is giving you the ability to hold a comfortable VFG vs. the railed forend.

Years ago, I tried one and felt it was way too thick to be comfortable. I was using Magpul XTM's and TangoDown covers. After I took those pictures, I was able to smash two more index clips onto the left side rail next to the light and sling mount. It makes it look a little better.

Your M4/M80 will shred a $100 FUG. You need a Tango Down. It has full cross-bars.

Anyway, from what you are saying, a mild trim of the rubber (optional) is all that prevents the M80 from fitting PERFECT and you have seen 0 interference with the pistons, yes?

The bottom rail is a true spec pictatinny rail. It doesn't have that gay lightening cut like the sides do. I'd probably grab one of those new GearSector FVG's if I was going to go that route instead of the FUG.

Zero function problems. Minor trim of the rubber to make it a perfect fit around the barrel ring.

Thanks for posting all this info fellas. Wrote Surefire today about trying to get them to produce a hand guard for the M4 like they have for the M1/M2. I doubt I'll hear anything back...of course, they probably won't do it because they'd be competing with their own M4 product.