SBE II with Comfort Grip: Problems/Questions

SBE II Ferret

Well, I finally made the plunge and purchased a brand new Super Black Eagle II with steady grip and camo coating. A very pricy gun, but hopefully worth the investment. I have a couple of questions and concerns about the firearm, and am hoping someone can offer assistance. First, I am impressed with the placement and overall size of the safety located next to the trigger housing. I will be using this firearm exclusively for turkey hunting (hence the steady grip). I am very disappointed in the loud sound emitted from the safety when it is moved back and forth. I understand that it needs to be firm in each position (on/off), but it is much louder than my safety on my Beretta 1200 or my Mossberg 935 (both less expensive firearms). Is there any safe way to quiet the safety down? I am afraid it will spook game. I have oiled it and pushed it back and forth 200 times, but this has not had a noticeable effect.

Second, the trigger is very heavy. I assume this is due to liability concerns. With the amount paid for the firearm (anyone reading this posts understands the costs involved since this is a limited edition SBE II) I was surprised that the trigger is not adjustable. I cannot find anywhere/anyone (ie Timney) that sells a replacement adjustable trigger for the SBE II. Does anyone have any idea if the trigger pull can be reduced (by a qualified gunsmith of course) or the trigger swapped out for an adjustable?

Any comments would be appreciated. I really expected a higher quality firearm for the money.

I took my SBEII to a good gunsmith for trigger work because I shoot a lot of deer with the rifled barrel. After working on the trigger ... I felt almost no difference. I may be wrong, but I "THINK" he told me before he started that the only thing he could do to "improve" the Benelli trigger was to smooth and polish the parts to be sure there were no lumps, bumps, or rough spots to cause a hitch. I assumed the limited potential for "change" had something to do with the design.

Sounds like you didn't research the gun before purchase. That is your fault entirely.

Also sounds like you didn't test it or a like model before purchase. Again, your fault entirely.

The Benelli trigger has been the same since inception. No better no worse every year.

There is no adjustable Benelli trigger that I know of. It is common knowledge that they are not crisp and that no will do much work on them.

Given that this gun was soooo much money, you should have tested the trigger at the shop. Caveat emptor.

As to the safety, it may be an original safety with the overly tight spring. Call Benelli CS and maybe they can arrange for the spring to be changed. Some guys clip part of the spring as well.

Otherwise, I suggest releasing the safety with two fingers like most turkey hunters I know. I've shot Benellis at turks this way for 16 years without issue.

I do suggest you research your own purchases more carefully next time so you can avoid coming on to a website as a new member and bashing a quality brand for your own shortcomings...

mudhen - CA

Mudhen, you appear to be a self-professed expert on all things Benelli. Wow, Tom Knapp had better watch out for his job! As such, I would expect you to be better informed about Benelli in general. As you are certainly aware, in order to be a Benelli dealer you are required to have annual sales of at least $25000.00 per year. Since I live in a rural location, there are no Benelli dealers in my area. Benelli dealers in urban areas (75 miles away) do not routinely allow customers to take the guns off premise and fire them before purchasing them. They do not have "demo" models for test firing purposes either. On the models I did handle, the safety did not seem to be as tight as on my model. I don't know where you purchase your firearms, but no dealer I have dealt with allows the customer to dry fire a firearm. Therefore, I was unaware of the heavy trigger pull. To be honest, I expected a heavy trigger pull due to the litigious nature of our society. My posting was merely to find out if anyone else had these problems and had come up with a workable solution. Apparently, the first person posting a reply understood this (which surprises me why you did not). As you can clearly tell from my posting I am a regular joe who normally purchases regular joe firearms. My past firearms have included Mossbergs (very workable) and Beretta's (lower end). I guess I bought into Tom Knapp's hype regarding the Benelli's (Performance worth the Price). Although the point appears to be lost on you, Benelli apparently understands that their product costs more than a similar product from other companies. As an example, my Mossberg 935 Ulti-Mag (3 to 3 1/2") cost around $500.00. The SBEII with steady grip (which was very hard for me to find to purchase, I apparently don't share your close relationship with the Benelli corporation) cost me around $1600.00. I don't believe it is unreasonable to assume that quality would be higher with the higher purchase price. Lastly, although you feel the need to belittle me with your past turkey and deer escapades, let me assure you I have harvested Pope and Young deer and more than my share of Eastern and Merriam turkeys. I am not a novice.

Finally, please get a grip and try to understand the concept of a forum. It is not designed for members/owners to express that everything with their gun is totally perfect and beyond improvement. I would suspect that Benelli established the site to monitor owners feedback when considering future enhancements to their product line (or to identify trends among users). You (of course) with the inside track on Benelli would know their deepest thoughts regarding this issue.

In all honesty I have learned in my life that regardless of how anyone presents themselves, nobody is an expert at everything. Get a clue and try to understand the concept of a forum!

None of your baited and much anticipated drivel explains your clear lack of responsible firearm ownership, much of which begins with the initial purchasing process.

Never said anything about test firing. You need to work on your reading comprehension. One can easily test a weapon in the store. Work the action. Check the safety. Dry fire (I have never had a shop not allow me to dry fire with snap caps) Count the choke tubes. Account for all the accessories. Inspect for damage in the finish. Check the bore. Do all that you can to insure the gun you are buying is in good shape.

I doubt anyone cares how far you live from a Benelli dealer, it is your responsibility to research your own purchase and live with the consequences if you are unhappy with said purchase.

If you had come here for information prior to purchase, instead of just to vent about your own lack of due care, then you might have learned about these oft repeated issues.

Maybe you need to learn the purpose of a forum is to learn, not vent. Your motive was quite clear with by the repeated mention of the great cost of this weapon. You may also want to learn to use the Search feature, it can be helpful.

Nothing I posted was untrue, so obviously I hit a nerve that you yourself know to be accurately hit.

So that you can learn, I have rewritten your post for you:

Hello Benelli Owners,

I have recently purchased an SBE II SteadyGrip.

I find the safety to be too loud for turkey hunting.

Also, the trigger is just too heavy for my taste.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy these problems?

Thanks!

SBE II Ferret

See how much nicer that was!

I am glad that you feel the need to boast about your deer hunting prowess. I am certain that record deer are uncommon in Iowa, so you must be quite the nimrod...

Iowa is a great state. I hunt there often. You do your state an injustice with posts like this...

mudhen - CA

SBE II Ferret,

First of all welcome to this forum. Everybody is welcome, wanted and needed here. We help each other.

Now, there are thousands upon thousands of absolutely happy Benelli owners in this country including myself and mudhen who, I believe, owns several of them as well as other brands. When the one in 10,000 jumps in here with a real or imagined problem with their Benelli and does little or nothing but complain about it we have very little patience.

"When a gun cost this much it should do X, Y and Z exactly the way I want it too!", is the most common "boohoo" we hear here. If cost was an object what in the heck were you doing buying it without at least some rudimentary testing? Like mudhen my dealer allowed me to do all but fire it with live ammo. I'm a pretty "common" guy (20 year Mossberg shooter) and there was no way in you know what that I was going to spend three times more than I had ever spent on a shotgun with out being thoroughly satisfied with it. Are you going to buy a car if the dealer won't even let you start it? If my dealer wouldn't have let me dry fire my SBE I'd have gone elsewhere.

When the problems someone has with a gun are the sound of the safety and trigger pull it's 100% their fault. I hope you can get your issues fixed because Benelli's are exceptional guns.

P.S. I hope you don't come back here to complain about recoil. Benelli's are inertia driven and therefore require recoil to operate.

Well, you know I can't resist replying to the sacred keepers of the Benelli name. Based on the amount of ire I have raised, my simple post must have shaken the very foundation of the Benelli corporation. I suspect black helicopters will be appearing on the horizon very soon. I reread my initial post to try to understand how I could inspire such anger from two veteran Benelli owners. One would have thought that I had insulted their dogs (certainly this anger would not have ensued had I flirted with their wives). At any rate, the only line I can see that must have really struck a nerve would have been "I really expected a higher quality firearm for the money." Now mellow out for just a moment, and consider that statement. Did I state that the SBE II is a worthless piece of junk? Nope! Did I state I wish I had never purchased the firearm? Nope! Is it really that unreasonable to assume a more expensive firearm will perform better than a less expensive firearm? In other words, even though a Ford Festiva and any Cadillac both have 4 tires and an engine, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume the Cadillac would have improved performance? Are you so blind in your Benelli lovefest that you can't understand this simple concept?

Now, let's go one step further. I have wanted to own a Benelli my entire life. As I posted previously I have owned Beretta's and Mossberg's and have done very nicely with them. Since most turkey I shoot expire with one shot, how much difference does it really make whether that shot comes out of a Benelli or a New England Firearms single shot? Probably not much. Hunting is hunting, and pulling the trigger is probably the least important part of the entire matter. For the money, I was very impressed with my Benelli Nova! This will be the shotgun my 12 year old daughter will use this Spring to hopefully harvest her first turkey. The increased weight of this firearm should tame the recoil better than my SBE II. Interestingly, the safety on my Beretta 1200 and Benelli Nova are both mouse quiet.

I don't have any patience for self-proclaimed "experts", so pardon me if I have offended either "mudhen" or "idaho ducker". Your knowledge of all things Benelli is obviously beyond my comprehension.

In summary, am I impressed with the overall quality and workmanship of the SBE II? Absolutely. Would I have purchased the firearm had I been better informed of the safety and trigger pull issue? Absolutely. Do I think that Benelli can improve their product (ie rework the safety or produce an aftermarket or optional adjustable trigger)? Sure, why not? Just because they set the standard for performance doesn't mean performance cannot be improved. Otherwise, why would they have even produced the SBE II to begin with? Do I appreciate Benelli establishing this forum from which I was able to obtain pertinent information on solving my safety and trigger pull issues? Of course I do! What makes this forum so valuable is getting knowledgeable information from experienced users who have already dealt with these issues.

Gee whiz, this reply seems to be droning on more than I intended. Thank you very much for the information provided on getting the trigger reworked. I plan on owning this firearm the rest of my life, and spending a little bit more money to make the improvements would appear to be a good investment.

p/s mudhen and idaho ducker.....I still love you smile.gif

These gentlemen aren't merely "self proclaimed experts" as you have stated.

Both have a vast undertsanding of Benellis, as well as other firearms, that goes well beyond the ordinary.

They and others have helped countless people who come here seeking guidance and advice in the proper and safe operation of their firearms.

Aftermarket and adjustable triggers are commonplace for rifles, but not for shotguns.

For Benelli, or any other manufacturer to produce such an item would mean that there would have to be a substantial market for them.

You, as one individual who finds the trigger on his shotgun difficult to pull, do not quite meet the standards of what would typically be called a "market".

Regarding the bulk of the rest of your post; I chose to not respond to you because I found your statements and question regarding the "loud" safety and heavy trigger to be frivolous.

ANY half-seasoned hunter knows how to manipulate a crossbolt safety quietly when needed.

I don't recall that anyone ever taught me the trick. I just remember figuring it out when I was in my second year of hunting.

I figured you'd probably figure it out in your second or third year as well.

I was somewhat disappointed that mudhen gave you that one for free tongue.gif

Ferret,

I also welcome you to the forum. I purchased a new SBE 1 recently and I am looking forward to using it next season.

I am kind of a picky consumer and sometimes fixate on small cosmetic flaws and the like. But one thing I have found that helps me feel comfortable about a purchase I have made is to discuss it with others and receive additional input. I think you did the right thing by posting your concerns about your new gun and soliciting other Benelli owners opinions. I know that the guys on this forum have answered several questions I have had and I certainly appreciate that.

I will keep my eyes and ears open for any info regarding trigger or safety improvements that can be done to the SBE II and I will pass that on in your direction if I come across anything.

Ok, last post since this has devolved into a discussion that is of no benefit to anyone reading this forum (aside for amusement purposes).

Please review my original post. I was looking for advice, not looking to knock the Benelli name. Wouldn't it have been easier for a Benelli "expert" to address the issues instead of going on a rant? Doesn't a lively discussion of these issues benefit all Benelli and non-Benelli owners? I can't believe adults (such as the three of you) throw a temper tantrum over such a small issue! Heaven forbid I impune the reputation of the mighty Benelli!

One last thing. Try holding an SBE II with the steady grip (pistol grip) handle and manipulating the crossbolt safety with your trigger hand. You must have 12" fingers if you can do this since the steady grip requires the palm of your hand to sit further back on the stock then it would on a Comfort grip stock. The only other option would be to take your hand off of the firearm (trigger hand) and move it forward to grasp both sides of the safety. Otherwise, you would need to move the off hand holding the firearm (left hand in my case) to activate the safety. For a firearm intended (by me) for turkey hunting exclusively, this additional movement is considered unacceptable. Hence my original posting of other owners who may have addressed this issue and come up with a solution (such as the first reply who had taken his firearm to a gunsmith). I don't expect Benelli to produce an adjustable trigger just for me. However, if the company receives enough feedback from owners then maybe they consider this as a future option or enhancement.

At the risk of causing further consternation, many higher end shotguns indeed do have adjustable triggers or the ability to swap out the trigger assembly for a lighter pull. I have used modified trigger shotguns on the trap range (maybe they are only used in Iowa). Some of my friends have been able to have their gunsmith adjust the trigger pulls in their other (non-Benelli) shotguns.

Geez guys, lighten up! I was simply asking for some advice. I had no idea I would be dealing with such immature tantrum prone forum users.

Thanks to those that provided helpful and usable responses!

To the rest of you, PLEASE HAVE A NICE DAY. It sounds like you are overdue for some happiness in your lives! smile.gif

Originally posted by SBE II Ferret:

For a firearm intended (by me) for turkey hunting exclusively, this additional movement is considered unacceptable.

Well, if you find out you can't get the safety adjusted to your liking, cover the sound with something else.

A mouth call wouldn't require any more movement. Sqwak away when you push that safety over.

Yup, I'm just here to help. :D

Sorry, I promised I was done posting. The response by sdkidaho was very well reasoned! As stupid as it sounds (and I am sure the other more informed posters will agree) I hadn't considered that option! Giving a simple cluck or yelp when I move the safety will solve the problem with NO MODIFICATION! I am very impressed that Benelli made the safety mechanism larger than on the Nova (it has a larger triangular configuration versus the Nova round mechanism) so it seems that Benelli thought ahead by having a larger safety that could be moved with a gloved hand. I am going to call Benelli next week to be sure that sending my trigger to Barrel Works will not void my manufactuer warranty. I will post the results of that conversation (again, I am sorry I lied about continuing to post) to this thread as it may be helpful to others in the future.

Thanks for the feedback sdkidaho! Sometimes it is the simplest solutions that are the most effective.

Mudhen, you appear to be a self-professed expert on all things Benelli. Wow, Tom Knapp had better watch out for his job! As such, I would expect you to be better informed about Benelli in general. As you are certainly aware, in order to be a Benelli dealer you are required to have annual sales of at least $25000.00 per year. Since I live in a rural location, there are no Benelli dealers in my area. Benelli dealers in urban areas (75 miles away) do not routinely allow customers to take the guns off premise and fire them before purchasing them. They do not have "demo" models for test firing purposes either. On the models I did handle, the safety did not seem to be as tight as on my model. I don't know where you purchase your firearms, but no dealer I have dealt with allows the customer to dry fire a firearm. Therefore, I was unaware of the heavy trigger pull. To be honest, I expected a heavy trigger pull due to the litigious nature of our society. My posting was merely to find out if anyone else had these problems and had come up with a workable solution. Apparently, the first person posting a reply understood this (which surprises me why you did not). As you can clearly tell from my posting I am a regular joe who normally purchases regular joe firearms. My past firearms have included Mossbergs (very workable) and Beretta's (lower end). I guess I bought into Tom Knapp's hype regarding the Benelli's (Performance worth the Price). Although the point appears to be lost on you, Benelli apparently understands that their product costs more than a similar product from other companies. As an example, my Mossberg 935 Ulti-Mag (3 to 3 1/2") cost around $500.00. The SBEII with steady grip (which was very hard for me to find to purchase, I apparently don't share your close relationship with the Benelli corporation) cost me around $1600.00. I don't believe it is unreasonable to assume that quality would be higher with the higher purchase price. Lastly, although you feel the need to belittle me with your past turkey and deer escapades, let me assure you I have harvested Pope and Young deer and more than my share of Eastern and Merriam turkeys. I am not a novice.

Finally, please get a grip and try to understand the concept of a forum. It is not designed for members/owners to express that everything with their gun is totally perfect and beyond improvement. I would suspect that Benelli established the site to monitor owners feedback when considering future enhancements to their product line (or to identify trends among users). You (of course) with the inside track on Benelli would know their deepest thoughts regarding this issue.

In all honesty I have learned in my life that regardless of how anyone presents themselves, nobody is an expert at everything. Get a clue and try to understand the concept of a forum!

:cool:

Originally posted by MattL:

quote:

:cool: Great input newbie... :rolleyes: did that take you long to come up with :confused:

smile.gif

mudhen - CA

Get a life Mudhen.... I can only assume you live a very boring/sheltered/pathetic/etc. life if you find this type of activity entertaining. What you have done is a real disservice to yourself and this site. A forum (regardless of your childish interpretation) is meant to allow for discussion. That you would have the audacity to think that you should take it upon yourself to rewrite the posting for another user is incredible in and of itself. Perhaps you would be more comfortable in the role of Benelli Moderator for this site. Then Mudhen (a user name that most certainly fits the user) could decide what postings "deserved" to be posted. Of course any postings not passing Mudhen muster (sounds kinda like a STD, huh) could then be rewritten. You know, a better idea would be to scrap the forum concept altogether and just allow bully (yes, childlike playground bully--ring any bells in your life?) Mudhen to have a daily rant. We could all benefit from a rant every now and then (this certainly would qualify as an entertaining rant).

To those of you who just could not ignore providing useless (and unneeded) corrective feedback on my original post, I would suggest (very Mudhen-like of me, I know) that you simply have a little self-control next time and resist posting anything at all! The shame of the whole matter is that you have been exposed as the self-important egotistical forum bullies that you have apparently aspired to become (congrats by the way). Unfortunately, you guys probably had something to offer to the forum but by your postings you have lost all credibility. At least I never had any credibility to lose in the first place. I would think that your negative postings will have no real effect aside from discouraging other "newbie" posters such as myself from daring to ask a question of the self-proclaimed "experts" on this site. For myself, I will contact Benelli directly with my questions in the future. When I contacted them about other issues on my purchase, I found them to be very helpful and customer friendly. Apparently, they don't feel the best way to promote their product is by insulting the owner. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Grow up!

Quoting soldier from Delta Force in Blackhawk Down as he holds up and wiggles his trigger finger -- "Sir, this is MY safety."

I can only cluck and purr on a mouth diaphragm so I use friction calls most of the time, which means my hands are off the gun. With the stock on my shoulder and the for-end rested on my knee, as I move my hands back to the gun I quietly take off my safety and put my gun up into firing potion. This usually means taking the safety off WAY earlier than most. I keep my finger outside of the trigger guard until it is time to shoot. But the idea of a cluck (or grunt for deer) seems like less movement and I may have to try that one out.

Well, to this board's credit, this isn't exactly what I would call a shining example of what you normally see around here. This is more of a pissing match and less of a thread. Why not start a new thread about turkey hunting and let this one die?

This is entertaining, but entirely too punitive to give anyone some credit. If you need to verbally assault one another, do it through private messages. I really don't need to read your bad attitudes.

Get a life Mudhen.... I can only assume you live a very boring/sheltered/pathetic/etc. life if you find this type of activity entertaining. What you have done is a real disservice to yourself and this site. A forum (regardless of your childish interpretation) is meant to allow for discussion. That you would have the audacity to think that you should take it upon yourself to rewrite the posting for another user is incredible in and of itself. Perhaps you would be more comfortable in the role of Benelli Moderator for this site. Then Mudhen (a user name that most certainly fits the user) could decide what postings "deserved" to be posted. Of course any postings not passing Mudhen muster (sounds kinda like a STD, huh) could then be rewritten. You know, a better idea would be to scrap the forum concept altogether and just allow bully (yes, childlike playground bully--ring any bells in your life?) Mudhen to have a daily rant. We could all benefit from a rant every now and then (this certainly would qualify as an entertaining rant).

To those of you who just could not ignore providing useless (and unneeded) corrective feedback on my original post, I would suggest (very Mudhen-like of me, I know) that you simply have a little self-control next time and resist posting anything at all! The shame of the whole matter is that you have been exposed as the self-important egotistical forum bullies that you have apparently aspired to become (congrats by the way). Unfortunately, you guys probably had something to offer to the forum but by your postings you have lost all credibility. At least I never had any credibility to lose in the first place. I would think that your negative postings will have no real effect aside from discouraging other "newbie" posters such as myself from daring to ask a question of the self-proclaimed "experts" on this site. For myself, I will contact Benelli directly with my questions in the future. When I contacted them about other issues on my purchase, I found them to be very helpful and customer friendly. Apparently, they don't feel the best way to promote their product is by insulting the owner. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Grow up!

All that just because I teased your boyfriend?

And I'm the one with the problem?

I put a smile.gif and all...

Get over it, you are a troll, and deserve no better treatment until you post something useful...

And btw, this forum is not a conduit to CS, it was given to us as a $1600 sandbox, read the instructions troll...

Maybe you should have called them first?...

mudhen - CA

Originally posted by mudhen:

quote:
Originally posted by MattL:

quote:

:cool: Great input newbie... :rolleyes: did that take you long to come up with :confused:

smile.gif

mudhen - CA Sorry...couldn't find an expression that really fit what I was thinking....(but I bet you could guess)....

O.K, enough is enough. So what he's a new Benelli owner with a question and a gripe. I'm a new benelli owner also. Are you going to bash me too. My gun is also broke. Check the forums. I live in Sitka Alaska, and my dealer gets benellis in once a year, right before duck season opens. Im sending it back for a shell ejection problem. I have tried a copius amount of other guns, and really, really really like my SBEII. From what you guys say, I will have it back in no time, repaired properly, hopefully. Saskatchewan Goose hunting is phenomenal, you guys should try it. I want to go again some day. I have enjoyed some phenominal duck hunting here in Sitka, Its a big secret.