Help. Surefire M80 fit issues? on my M4

k7714

well, i've tried and tried...it just doesn't seem to fit right.

anyone have any issues like this or thoughts??

It appears to not be going in far enough in the front and the rubber piece on the back looks like it isn't fitting properly. I've seen pictures like this online and some that look like the fit is perfect.

any help is appreciated.

IMG_0675.jpgIMG_0674.jpg

Check for interference on the front lug of the M80 where it seats into the handguard retaining ring. It is common for older production M80's to need a small amount of filing on this lug in order to seat it.

I'd recommend a flat hand file to perform the job. No power tools. Afterwards, hit the lug with some alumablack if you're worried about the look of the lug that will only be seen during disassembly.

The rubber portion at the back can be trimmed so it isn't bulged around the 11707 barrel ring that seats against the face of the receiver. Simply take a razor knife and relieve the rubber where this ring interferes.

Check for interference on the front lug of the M80 where it seats into the handguard retaining ring. It is common for older production M80's to need a small amount of filing on this lug in order to seat it.

I'd recommend a flat hand file to perform the job. No power tools. Afterwards, hit the lug with some alumablack if you're worried about the look of the lug that will only be seen during disassembly.

The rubber portion at the back can be trimmed so it isn't bulged around the 11707 barrel ring that seats against the face of the receiver. Simply take a razor knife and relieve the rubber where this ring interferes.

It appears that the rubber portion in the front of the handguard is the reason it is stopping.

I'm on the phone with surefire...i want to see if they will send out a different one before i start hacking this one up.

So annoying.

Kevin

I'm sure they'll swap you. You'll just be down and out for a week or two.

yeh, sounds like it on the phone. Sucks, but if i'm spending around 200 for a rail, i would like it to fit without me having to mod and F with it. I'm not a patient person so i'm going to be annoyed for sure.

I own a surefire backup, M900, 6P Led, a couple g2's.....love there flashlights, never had a problem.

I've owned two of there rails and both have let me down unfortunately.

K

Same here. I love their lights. The problem usually is the tolerance stacking of the M4. ****, here is the second M80 I received in February of 2011.

002.jpg?t=1312244326

My bet for yours is the lug near the muzzle of the weapon is causing the fitting issue. It isn't slipping under the factory handguard hanger fully, so the M80 won't allow the barrel to fully seat.

You can try force fitting it with a rubber mallet. Sometimes that will give you a visual reference as to where the interference is, and where you must relieve. The amount of material that is removed is very minimal.

Here are some shots on my third rail that actually fits well. They might help you as a visual reference.

c002.jpg?t=1312244626

here is all i was emailed from Surefire after i sent them pics....

"I have forwarded the pictures to one of our representatives who has installed numerous M80s and he said it appears to be installed correctly. Are you by chance located in CA? "-surefire rep

I requested pics of any of there corrrectly installed M80's just so i could see that it is the same. Still yet to hear back. At this point i'm kinda wishing i bought it direct from surefire so i could send it back with a NO thank you note and request for a refund. They aren't exactly lighting anything on fire with there CS.

STrangerDanger- Is there any chance at your convenience you could post a pic of the front of your rail(similar to my first pic)????

Kevin

Edited by k7714

I'll see what I can do.

I looked at your photos and compared it to mine. It is seated basically in the same way. Look at your barrel and be sure that it is seated fully. If so, then the unit isn't going to push in any deeper since it is limited by the barrel.

If the barrel is fully in battery, you don't need to worry about it. When I pull on mine really hard fore and aft, I can get a little bit of movement out of the rail system. I'd say 1/32 or maybe 1/16 of an inch of movement. The tensioner at the front of the rail is meant to bite into the locking lug to limit movement.