BCG won't budge

Tango two

I had the barrel removed and nothing from the receiver.I stood it up on the stock to replace the forearms and afterwards haven't been able to move the BCG a single millimeter.

Benelli CS requests that I send it to them.

Any recommendations?

Edited by Tango two
new image

This is a M4, right?

You'll probably have a difficult time removing the recoil plug from the recoil tube with the spring under tension. What I would do is get a long punch or drill bit that fits inside of the recoil plug's threaded center and push it up inside the recoil tube until I made contact with the retracted plunger. With the receiver in a vice, I'd give the tool a few dead blows from a hammer to attempt to move the bolt carrier group forward. I wouldn't use a large hammer. Maybe an 8 or 12 ounce.

My guess is that the tail of the BCG isn't seated properly on top of the plunger. When it was cycled to the rear, this caused the tail of the BCG to bind.

I would not hammer on the bolt handle. That will likely result in a bent bolt handle.

Disassembly of the recoil tube would also work. Finding a proper tool to unscrew the recoil plug is a difficult task. I don't even know if it is possible to disassemble with all that spring tension against the plug. If it gets to this point, I'd probably let Benelli handle it.

This is a M4, right?

Yes, it's an M4.

I concur, the recoil tube is the logical route.

I presently don't possess the proper tools to perform that approach,therefore, I'll give Benelli the privilege to perform the surgery.

I can't stop thinking about this "malfunction" occurring in the midst of battle.

Isn't this sort of thing why the Corps chose the M4??

I certainly appreciate the recommendations.

RT

p.s. - is there any reason to show additional pics?

Edited by Tango two
P.S.

What about whacking it with a rubber mallet on the back of the recoil tube?

I'd take it to a gunshop that does basic work rather than pay the shipping back to Benelli. Benelli takes a month to do repairs.

Or, I'd go to the hardware store and buy the needed tools to do the job. They'd likely be cheaper than the shipping.

If the problem is like I described, it is only an issue that would occur during assembly. I don't believe it would happen during the firing cycle.

What about whacking it with a rubber mallet ..... ?

StrangerDanger, I know we have both been on this forum for many years and if I have neglected to say it in the past, you are and asset to this site and I always enjoy reading your posts.

Regards,

-d

StrangerDanger quote was modified for humor effect.

Edited by d
humor

Go with the 2 lbs rubber mallet. You'll damage the mallet before you do anything to the recoil tube. I'd install the barrel so if it does release, it will just close into battery rather than drop the bolt handle against the front of the ejection port.

With the barrel installed, you could put the muzzle against a wood block to prevent damage.

Do you have a steel cleaning rod that will fit up the back side of the recoil tube? It probably can't take a real hard beating, but it might be enough to break it free.

Is this a brand new M4? Or just new to you? When I wore out my 11703, the pistons had battered the crap out of the front of the bolt carrier group to the point that the bolt carrier was beginning to deform where the pistons impact. This deformation caused the bolt carrier to swell along the rails that reciprocate within the upper receiver. When I would pull the bolt carrier to the very rear, this metal expansion would cause the bolt carrier to hang to the rear during cycling.

Glad I can try to help. This is one of my favorite weapon platforms.

Go with the 2 lbs rubber mallet.

Glad I can try to help.

I have a Tipton (Deluxe), 36", 1-piece carbon fiber cleaning rod.

The M4 is brand spanking new.

I received it in April,2011,but for reasons that aren't relevant here,it has not been fired.

Theoretically,won't the BCG link be damaged from the impact?

I'm grateful for your assistance and am much obliged.

I'd try what Daniel said. I'm pretty sure the bolt release doesn't interface with the bolt carrier group though. I'm pretty sure it actuates a part of the trigger group.

I wouldn't use the carbon fiber cleaning rod. It'll just shatter and leave broken parts inside the recoil tube. Whatever is used won't contact the tail of the bolt carrier. There is a plunger inside. See the reference photo:

ben-M4.gif

The plunger is #47. With the tail of the bolt carrier fully retracted, the plunger should be 5 - 6 inches from the bottom of the recoil tube with the spring fully compressed.

Are you able to move the 057J "shell stop/bolt release button" fully down so it disconnects from the bolt?

When not, the bolt is mostly jammed on the release button...try to pull the bolt back by the handle and in the same time push the bolt release button, -or while your trigger group is already off- just push the backside of this bolt release inside the receiver so you squeese down the 058J shell stop spring...i believe the bolt release is jamming the bolt.

But if you can move the bolt release button fully down and visually disconnect it from the bolt without the bolt comes out, then you have a nasty jamming problem inside the recoil tube.

The 057J shell stop/bolt release will normally move freely without the trigger group assembled.

Edited by jaegerbataillon511

I have had this happen to me once, the link (#43) got stuck in the back of the receiver above or below the recoil spring plunger. Try removing the barrel and trigger group (or everything you can) and using a bore scope or simmilar look in and back at the link and try to gently pry it down or up so it rests on the recoil plunger. you can PM me if you like and I can talk you through it on the phone.

Regards,

d

When the bolt link is stuck above or under the recoil spring plunger in the back of the receiver, the bolt would not be in the open position..it would not be able to retract.

Just ship it to Benelli before you ruin your M4..it will also void warranty if you are removing the recoil tube.

Good point jaegerbataillon511, you could also do that Tango Two.

Regards,

d