Are you all ready for the season???

jonesbb630

First, you need to get your own gun and you need to or he needs to make sure you are a safe gun handler. Practice on a bit of skeet shooting would be a deffinite help. Also practice making duck and geese calls. If you get good at it, your husband will really enjoy your company with your participation in calling by bringing in those birds. But most of all, be safe and have fun and spend quality time and one last thing, get a really nice waterproof breathable waterfowl cammo suit and boots. If you go half way with quality, you will regret and spend tghe money later to buy what you should have bought the first time. Same thing for the gun. Start with a Benelli, and it could be the only gun you will have to buy.

Good luck on your first hunt, and be safe.:cool:

We've had ****** luck so far. Too warm outside for one, and we have nearby hunters that are baiting geese which is illegal where I hunt, so we try to stay clear of that area and we need to find a new hunting spot. This is the worst start we ever had. We are trying a new spot Monday morning. Hope the birds come in.

No good here in Texas. Heard tons of teal fly in around 3am sat. morning, but all gone by legal light. No water, 1.5 mile walk in knee deep mud to get to hunting spot, I'll be staying in the dove fields this september.
I've been watching the DU hunt reports and it seems as if only a handful of guys got into the teal... The lack of water in Texas was the biggest complaint..

I got lucky, got a call to fill a spot on a guided hunt in Winnie (TX) on opening morning, Drake Plantation Guide service.

Of 8 in blind we ended up with 3 shy of a limit (29). Green & Blue wing & 2 Cinnamon Teal. Was pretty darn good hunt. After 1000 or so saw no more fly.

Birds weren't as thick as have seen in past yrs but as said previously it has been dry (they pumped water into the fields, 2 days before opening). Also it seems to have opened earlier than I can remember?

Coop,

You didnt get to go with a guy name David Moore by any chance, did you??

Weve been having decent Dove hunts here in Central TX but we have sooooo little water, its just sad...We wont have much of a Duck season at this rate...

A buddy of mine was priveledged to join a hunt for teal this past wednesday and sadly he reported not a single trigger was even pulled...:-(

Anjiegal, welcome to the forum!

Coop,

You didnt get to go with a guy name David Moore by any chance, did you??

Weve been having decent Dove hunts here in Central TX but we have sooooo little water, its just sad...We wont have much of a Duck season at this rate...

A buddy of mine was priveledged to join a hunt for teal this past wednesday and sadly he reported not a single trigger was even pulled...:-(

Anjiegal, welcome to the forum!

I don't remember a "David" but I not good with names. The guide's name was Bill though.

& Yes the drought is bad but just maybe the front is gonna bring us some.

I've been scouting my spot that I'm going to hunt for the early goose season and I'm very happy with what I've seen so far..150+ Honkers have been buzzing around well within shooting range. I even sweet talked a few of them to come in feet down.. so its gonna be an interesting morning on the 1st.

I want to try out duck and goose hunting here in NH... I got my Vinic for Christmas last yr. She did me proud during my first Turkey season :) I have a goose call..and a waterproof jacket so far.. lol I know I know.. I need decoys.... still trying to decided if I want pants or waders. I am just not sure.... Plus.. I know my dog is well... lol more of a couch potato.. He retrieves my chickens pretty good though.. lol Herded one right in the front door haha knothead! We have a couple of active ponds right behind our house. I don't have a boat either.. but did see some cheap cannoes at walmarts for about 400.00 has anybody tried one of those?

OH an another thing.. I got some skeet and one of those toss machines.. the hard part is to find a range that will allow you to use them.... These are biodegradable... but still can't find a range.

Waders are warmer an keep you dryer in deeper water.

A gun and shells that you have pattern with your gun.

Coffee and snacks are a must have.

A few decoys and calls then your set for the most part.

A cannoes or small boat a warm jacket and gloves.

If you just doing small pounds or a big lake you add what you need or want to.

• 1 month later...

I bought myself a pair of 1000g thinsulate Irish Setter Swampghost boots with ExoFlex fit system yesterday. I know I need to get waders.. but I wanted something I could use for turkey, waterfowl, and deer season. I needed them in time for deer rifle season starting here Wed. in NH.