extended chokes

bpgast

I'm sure its been asked but couldn't find it. Couple questions.

I have a SBE2 with crio chokes, its my understanding they are already extended (longer parallel section) but still flush with barrel. I know every gun is different, but in general will an extended choke(like carlson) really help any as far as pattern?

Also I have read that the extended choke helps protect the barrel by choking the shot at the end and not inside the barrel. I shoot a lot of steel, anything from 4 to BBB(1450 to 1550fps). Do I need an extended choke for this purpose?

Thanks,

I'm trying to find the same answer myself. I have the SBE2 as well, with a long range extended Carlson choke. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea behind having a Carlson extended choke (meant for Black Cloud shells), is that the wad will stay with the BB's longer, causing the BB's to hold their pattern for a longer distance. The long range choke states it will hold up to nearly 80 yards. I haven't heard that they would protect the end of the barrel.

I patterned my gun with that specific choke tube at 30, 40, and 50 yards, and was disappointed to say the least. The only kill shot would have been at 30 yards, and I didn't dare try past 50 after I saw the results. I tried each of these distances with Black Cloud shells, Long Range Carlson choke, with #2, #4, and BB, all steel shot. I only patterned those shells with that choke tube, but didn't have enough time to compare it to the standard choke tubes that Benelli supplies you with - I'm actually excited to try the regular tubes to see if they are just as good - hopefully better.

I missed straight on shots last year with the Carlson choke and with multiple types of shells, and after seeing my pattern I now know why. I've gone though boxes of clays with my standard open choke with misses few and far between. Standard chokes may be the way to go? Don't know if this helps, but thats my take.

i have a super nova, and have a carlson extended choke for black cloud, and let me say its deadly at 40 yrds. I use it will federal steel from no. 1 to bb's and they all hold a tight pattern. I have 10 different chokes for my gun, my modified choke with 3" black clouds slams the geese at 30 yrds. The only shot that doesnt shoot very well at all, no matter what choke i use is winchester. Their shot is cast and flies all over.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Carlson's "Mid Range" Black Cloud choke tube for my SBE II and it seems to work well. I shoot Black Cloud exclusively. I found that the Carlson's tube was the least expensive, and from research from some of my fellow hunters, the Carlson's tube works as well as others.

Patternmaster! Patternmaster! Patternmaster. After shooting Kicks, Carlson, Crio, it will be only tube I ever buy again! The patternmaster doesn't choke your shot, it simply allows the shot to leave the barrel undisturbed by the wad or gases.

Edited by BigwhiteZ

Patternmaster! Patternmaster! Patternmaster. After shooting Kicks, Carlson, Crio, it will be only tube I ever buy again! The patternmaster doesn't choke your shot, it simply allows the shot to leave the barrel undesturbed by the wad or gases.

Which patternmaster choke do you use? I've heard good things about them as well. Also, what type of gun are you using it with?

Which patternmaster choke do you use? I've heard good things about them as well. Also, what type of gun are you using it with?

I use the Long range patternmaster. They are not constricted so the long range is for 3" and extended are for 3.5" shells (at least this is what their website says). These are meant to stop the wad when it is flush with the end of the tube. I only shoot 3" shells for ducks and geese so I shoot the Long range tube on both my 11-87 and Vinci. I shot skeet with it last weekend, and we have killed ducks-consistantly- at greater distances than a lot of guys would even believe.

I was so blown away by its performance with all types of loads that I had the new one in the mail box the day I picked up my vinci.

You may hate them, as all guns perform differently, but you do have 30 days to return them.

You can shoot steel, lead, hevi shot, buck shot, tungsten, bismuth, any thing EXCEPT, loads faster than 1550fps, and loads with flight control wads such as Black cloud, and I would check before shooting the new winchester blind side.

We have patterned them with a Citori, BPS, 11-87, Vinci, Beretta Silver Pigeon, Supernova, and SX3; they all throw a wicked pattern.

Edited by BigwhiteZ